The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #5,191 of 6,342

We have plans to introduce a new GS-1. Unknown at this time is if it will be single ended like the original, or have some form of balanced but carry a higher price. Form factor will remain the same - sheet of paper desktop sized, single box. Honestly i'm skeptical that it would do well without balanced. I think people are becoming accustomed to seeing the 4-pin XLR on some pretty mainstream products, whether they use it or not

Interesting idea! I am afraid you're running into stiff competition, tough, given that Schiit audio just came out with their small Jotunheim having both, single-ended and balanced options. Your amps have always been superior to any of the Schiit products, and yet, this business is crowded. Why not doing something that connects seamlessly with the GSX MK2? Say you'd built a power amp for the GSX MK2 with balanced inputs for the pre amp section? I hope the headphone community doesn't think that I'm going mad. But such a combination might appeal to many. Whatever you decide, I'm sure your product will be truly outstanding!

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #5,192 of 6,342
one week in, I'm liking gsx mk2 more and more. Its subtle full bodied thing. rumble rumble goes the low end, the notes flying out like like you can ride one. I don't no whats going on exactly but i like it.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #5,193 of 6,342
I like the idea of a new GS-1 and would be curious to see how it improves upon the original with the dynalo+ boards upgrade.  Single ended is fine in my book, but having an option to go balanced for additional cost is a good plan assuming it works for Headamp.

HS

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #5,194 of 6,342
  one week in, I'm liking gsx mk2 more and more. Its subtle full bodied thing. rumble rumble goes the low end, the notes flying out like like you can ride one. I don't no whats going on exactly but i like it.

It's called MUSIC
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the club. I guess the GSX-Mk2 is indeed the closest thing to "wire with gain".
It's like you directly listen to the mic feed, there is nothing in between. It's immediate, up close as you can get.
I like it, too.
beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #5,195 of 6,342
Sweetened up my GSX MK2. I wanted to improve my audio transport, so I went to a local dealer to try out the Aurender N100H streamer. Boy, does this little thing do my GSX MK2 good. Fantastic sound stage, beautiful, analog-like sound. Finally, the GSX MK2 gets the right feed!!! It didn't take me long to convince that the Aurender will be my Xmas gift!

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #5,196 of 6,342
  Sweetened up my GSX MK2. I wanted to improve my audio transport, so I went to a local dealer to try out the Aurender N100H streamer. Boy, does this little thing do my GSX MK2 good. Fantastic sound stage, beautiful, analog-like sound. Finally, the GSX MK2 gets the right feed!!! It didn't take me long to convince that the Aurender will be my Xmas gift!

THIS !
Since the GSX-Mk2 is so transparent it will let you hear the source without any additional spice or sauce or flavored topping and sprinkles.
wink.gif

If you connect a crappy source it's not the fault of the amp, it will just let you hear the message in no uncertain terms.
Happy listening, even if X-mas is still a couple of weeks away.
beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #5,197 of 6,342

THIS !
Since the GSX-Mk2 is so transparent it will let you hear the source without any additional spice or sauce or flavored topping and sprinkles.
wink.gif

If you connect a crappy source it's not the fault of the amp, it will just let you hear the message in no uncertain terms.
Happy listening, even if X-mas is still a couple of weeks away.
beerchug.gif

Right, exactly, totally agreed! I was amazed to find out how crappy the USB output of a computer can be. Whatever improvement is introduced into the audio chain, the GSX-MK2 shows it! Super amp, best buy I ever did!
The Aurender goes back to the dealer, as I'd like to have more memory mounted into the streamer. And it'll stay there till Xmas!!! What a wait!

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #5,198 of 6,342
Just as an FYI I use AUDIOQUEST jitterbugs to my hpa8 and chord TT to GSX mk2. It cleaned up the signal some from my iMac 5k and no jitter so far. It's a 65$ solution for those that may not want a new streamer. ( not that there is anything wrong with that)

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #5,199 of 6,342
Just as an FYI I use AUDIOQUEST jitterbugs to my hpa8 and chord TT to GSX mk2. It cleaned up the signal some from my iMac 5k and no jitter so far. It's a 65$ solution for those that may not want a new streamer. ( not that there is anything wrong with that)

You are perfectly right, there are much simpler routes to cleaning up the USB signal. You went a very efficient was. My intention here is to free my Mac Book Pro from all the audio load AND being able to stream music from Qobuz and Tidal. I still need a computer for file transfer onto the Aurender.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just wanted to show that I immensely enjoy the GSX-MK2.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #5,200 of 6,342
I am enjoying the amp as well. Do use low,med, or high gain with your system.?

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,201 of 6,342
  I am enjoying the amp as well. Do use low,med, or high gain with your system.?

That depends: with my 32 Ohm Grados, low gain is mandatory. When I'm using the HD800 or T90, I switch to medium. But the volume control is way turned down. The gain also depends on the voltage your DAC generates. I have the feeling that mine is much above the usual 2 Volts. I actually never put the GSX-MK2 to high gain. For me, it would be much too loud. Also, I have the tendency to listen at much lower volumes than many.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,202 of 6,342
My source running balanced also provides 4.2V if I'm not mistaken, so it's low gain even with HD800.
As for listening at lower volume ... this is just one positive side effect of the transparency of the GSX-Mk2. Every little detail is just there, you don't have to crank the volume way up to hear all of it. This is true for headphone listening but as well as my speaker set up in which the headamp serves as preamp. Maybe half of the complaints of people about piercing highs of the HD800 (orig., unmodded) is just a volume issue.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,203 of 6,342
Balanced i believe mine is over 5 v so i backed off high gain although it would give the snare drum a nice crack sound, kick drums a nice thump and sub bass a growl, I'm now med. Its also quiet in medium when no music is playing, nice and black. Thanks just checking. I use hd800S exclusively with TT and GSX MK2, still loving it

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #5,204 of 6,342
  Balanced i believe mine is over 5 v so i backed off high gain although it would give the snare drum a nice crack sound, kick drums a nice thump and sub bass a growl, I'm now med. Its also quiet in medium when no music is playing, nice and black. Thanks just checking. I use hd800S exclusively with TT and GSX MK2, still loving it

Right, DACs in single-ended mode output around 2-2.5 V. Mine runs balanced, so it's around 4-5 V. I've heard once that not all amps take that high an input. The GSX-MK2 obviously has no problems with higher feed. I'm just listening with my Grado GH1 at low setting. Brilliant sound! I envy you for your HD800S! I thought hard about buying it, but I doubt that it would make a big difference to previous generation HD800. By the way, TT is Chord Hugo TT, right? Doesn't it have a headphone amp on board? And how does it compare to the GSX-MK2. The TT is said to be very good, particularly the DAC.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #5,205 of 6,342

Right, DACs in single-ended mode output around 2-2.5 V. Mine runs balanced, so it's around 4-5 V. I've heard once that not all amps take that high an input. The GSX-MK2 obviously has no problems with higher feed. I'm just listening with my Grado GH1 at low setting. Brilliant sound! I envy you for your HD800S! I thought hard about buying it, but I doubt that it would make a big difference to previous generation HD800. By the way, TT is Chord Hugo TT, right? Doesn't it have a headphone amp on board? And how does it compare to the GSX-MK2. The TT is said to be very good, particularly the DAC.

Yes the hugo TT desktop has xlr balanced out. Yes it is very good dac, an improvement over its portable little brother hugo ( I also have that) And for sure it has an onboard amp and even though its rated at the same .5 watt output as hugo, it is darker, wider, better mids and louder. I used it for about a year direct se and would be fine like that. But after reading about GSX MK2, the advantages of increase voltage scale from balanced amps, and recommended by macedonian hero ( who uses the same system) and a few others PM'd me about the benefits of amping TT, and the fact that I have the bug and may add a HP that needs some juice down the road. I decided to add GSX MK2 instead of say coughing up 4 times the cost for dave, chords next logical brand extension. ( which some are amping it with GSX MK2 as well) so in the end this bridge did the trick as I now get that little extra fullness across the range. Plus if you are a chord lover, realize you will be an MK2 lover as well. The chord FPGA, TAPS, flip flops, digital volume are all about transparency and the truth of the music. So getting an amp that does the same makes sense, no point in offering color or distortion at this point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back