The hate on beats, why?
May 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #781 of 1,217
Considering those are marketed towards kids - "appropriate for ages 3 and up" - those can slide........especially considering a 3-year-old shouldn't have a device other than a really cheap iPod that plays music in the first place.  I didn't even get an iPod 'til I was 13.  And it was the Mini.  AND I had to share it with my mom.  AND it only held 4GB of music.  BACK IN MAH DAAY!!!! :p

ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!

A few months ago I heard every single Beats headphone (on-ear and over-ear) they offer at a Best Buy that's close to a university I attend.  Personally, I really like the Mixrs.  They sound like my Ultrasone DJ1 but are more harsh (which I don't like for listening but works well for DJ'ing), love the look, and I was actually surprised they sounded so well.  So, in my honest opinion, the order of sound quality goes:

Mixr, Beats Pro (they sound exactly like my Ultrasone DJ1 except a bit less bass), the new Studios (MUCH better than the old ones), Executive, the old Studios, gonorrhea, being trampled, being stabbed, being castrated, brain dead, HD Solos.  Why would anyone in their right mind buy the HD Solos?  What are you, deaf?  Literally, you'd have to be legally deaf in order to think the HD Solos sound decent.  I skipped out on the wireless model.  I have a feeling they're just the same as the Solos, but wireless.  If that's the case, no thank you.  I'll take cyanide instead.

I also got a chance to play with the Beats Pill.  Not sure which model but it was pretty big and, again at Best Buy (this time it was the GTA V launch party).  They were decent with anything that has a Rap/Hip-Hop beat, so Rap/Hip-Hop (duh) and EDM Trap sound pretty good.  Anything else was pure garbage...........and still better than the Solo's.  I REALLY hate the Solos.

+1 :)

May 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #782 of 1,217
For me it's about getting the best bang for your buck and not paying extra just for a 'cool' brand name. Being a slave to labels strikes me as immature and shallow. Good quality sound has always been enjoyable and exciting to me for some reason, ever since I was mucking around with seperate components like the Marantz CD65SE cd player and Pioneer A400 amp. I used to favour Monster speaker cable and interconnects too. Of course we all know the best loudspeakers are made in the UK. Mission floorstanders were always a favourite of mine. I was wearing Sennheiser HD212 pros in public and getting funny looks back when Monster Beats were a gleam in Dre's eye. Anyway to conclude this ramble I'm glad Apple paid through the nose for Beats. The two most overpriced consumer products should be a match made in heaven for the sheep with more money than sense.

MartinLogan says no to this.

May 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #783 of 1,217
Em, while we're on the subject of Beats, can i ask a kinda weird question?

The other day I was with my friends, and the subject of Beats came up... We are all 14 years old, and all my friends think that Beats are the most amazing headphones in the world, and they actually believe that they have an amazing sound quality... I know that Beats are terrible, but I kept my mouth shut cause I couldn't be bothered getting into an argument 4:1 against me. I have just saved up and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 558, the first pair of quality headphones I've owned.

My question is for when this situation next comes up... What is a good argument to put up against 4 people who think Beats are the best headphones in the world just cause they haven't heard anything else??? I know the reasons that they're bad, but just don't know how to word it... Someone please help!!

May 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #784 of 1,217
  Em, while we're on the subject of Beats, can i ask a kinda weird question?

The other day I was with my friends, and the subject of Beats came up... We are all 14 years old, and all my friends think that Beats are the most amazing headphones in the world, and they actually believe that they have an amazing sound quality... I know that Beats are terrible, but I kept my mouth shut cause I couldn't be bothered getting into an argument 4:1 against me. I have just saved up and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 558, the first pair of quality headphones I've owned.

My question is for when this situation next comes up... What is a good argument to put up against 4 people who think Beats are the best headphones in the world just cause they haven't heard anything else??? I know the reasons that they're bad, but just don't know how to word it... Someone please help!!

Well I don't ever like telling people that "this headphone is bad". I tried the Studio 2013s out yesterday and y'know what? They're not bad. They're actually pretty good. What I always tell people is "I don't like them as much". It's less confrontational and it makes people a lot more receptive to trying other stuff when you say "hey those Beats are rad, sure, but there's other stuff with a different sound to it."

There's no real need to argue why your headphones are better than someone else's. If you like them better, then that's the end of it. You have 'em on your head and you like 'em. Vice versa. 

May 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #785 of 1,217

Well I don't ever like telling people that "this headphone is bad". I tried the Studio 2013s out yesterday and y'know what? They're not bad. They're actually pretty good. What I always tell people is "I don't like them as much". It's less confrontational and it makes people a lot more receptive to trying other stuff when you say "hey those Beats are rad, sure, but there's other stuff with a different sound to it."

There's no real need to argue why your headphones are better than someone else's. If you like them better, then that's the end of it. You have 'em on your head and you like 'em. Vice versa. 

I get what you mean.............. But i'm probably going to blow my extremely long fuse at some point (when someone says "Sennheisers are just for old men with old ears").

May 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #786 of 1,217
  I get what you mean.............. But i'm probably going to blow my extremely long fuse at some point (when someone says "Sennheisers are just for old men with old ears").

You could always say that Beats are for little kids with amateur ears, LOL. 

May 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #787 of 1,217
You could always say that Beats are for little kids with amateur ears, LOL. 
or just let each have a long listening session. Insist they keep the senn's on their head for at least a few minutes. A lot of kids try a pair for 15 seconds, take it off, say its very clear and clean sounding, but has no bass. If they listen for a few minutes, their ears will adjust to it. That part is crucial to them liking it. Their ears need to adjust. Tell them to put on a non-rap song. Something with a lovely vocal and treble line. If they like electronic music, (yes... Even if all they like is skrillex. Sadly that's all most people listen to in that vast genre.) then tell them to put on a song and listen to it all. One of my friends is a country listening redneck guy, and he got beats studio 1.0's for free from his uncle. (I made sure they were legitimate this week. Looked over everything, from the box, to the cord and the cans themselves.) the beats studio 1.0's do not have a smooth midrange, and a boosted treble, so vocals come out sounding scratchy and horrendous. Imo, that's ear rape, even compared to something like a pair of Sony MDR-7506/V6. (the beats have like a 12db jump from 3khz to 5khz. I can't stand that giant leap.) on those senn's, the vocals will come out a lot better sounding. My country loving friend (who I produce edm with lol. He's a country lover with an electronic loving wild side. :D) took a listen to an entire country song and all he had to say was... "Wow. That was beautiful." I think he's going to get a superlux HD661 EVO since he still wants swag, and he wants that beautiful sound. (btw, I'm 15. We are about the same age, yet I was able to show 5 of my friends thus far the light of audiophilism... That's a new word for our cult of audio lovers. Audiophilism.)

May 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #788 of 1,217

Welcome to the Old Men's club.    :)

Happy for your wallet!  You paid one-half the price and got twice the sound...to this old man's ears anyway.

All kidding aside though, people buy things for all sorts of reasons (value, status, etc.).  It would be a hard argument to win, and as SGD said, probably not worth winning.  From my vantage point,  I'd say just be glad you know what you like and don't cave into peer pressure -- you're far ahead of most of your peers.  You'll influence them more by being a good friend and continuing to show this independence/strength over time.

BTW, you have to admit, the 558s are quite boring looking!  That said, they're my go to set of cans for long sessions and cross genres.  I like the Studio 2013s as well. But for a total of $299 I've been able to acquire my Denon D600s, V-Moda M80s, WS55s and SR60s

May 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #789 of 1,217
or just let each have a long listening session. Insist they keep the senn's on their head for at least a few minutes. 

+1 to this -- if they'll be patient enough to do it.

TBH, I like listening to bass heavy music through some of my cans/iems a whole lot better than others...not putting my Etys in for Hip Hop/R&B or my Atrios for Classical/Jazz.  That said, I got a set of urBeats with an HTC phone for 'free' a while back.  I listened to them for a few weeks and then gave them to my son.  He loves them.  I didn't think they held a candle to my Atrios.

May 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #790 of 1,217
Thanks GearMe, yes the 558s are quite dull looking, but i quite like how simple they are.

The only thing i like about beats is the look, as they are pretty slick! But its a shame that they use that cheap, glossy plastics that ruins it all. My friend just bought some Beats for £300 (he was 13 at the time!) and i tried them when i was 13 and i must admit in a guilty sort of way that i liked them... Now that i have tried out a few good quality cans i realize they were horrible... goes to show how quickly your ear can change

May 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #792 of 1,217
Thanks GearMe, yes the 558s are quite dull looking, but i quite like how simple they are.

The only thing i like about beats is the look, as they are pretty slick! But its a shame that they use that cheap, glossy plastics that ruins it all. My friend just bought some Beats for £300 (he was 13 at the time!) and i tried them when i was 13 and i must admit in a guilty sort of way that i liked them... Now that i have tried out a few good quality cans i realize they were horrible... goes to show how quickly your ear can change
i love the look of the original studios. The build... Feels solid... To the touch. When you go to put them on, and start using them, they feel like they could snap at any moment. The 558 is a pretty bland looking can, but then you get the 598, and it looks and feels like a luxury sedan. Nothing to be said about the plastic they use however, but the wood finish just makes them look sophisticated. Beats give off the message that you are a pompous rich kid who bought it with your parents money. HD 598's give out a message that you are rich, intelligent, and sophisticated... And, HD800 just gets you odd looks. :D

May 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #793 of 1,217
Yeah DisCHORDDubstep i would love a pair of HD800, but no amount of cutting the grass and pressure washing the slabs in the neighbors garden would pay for them. I have saved up for a few months now, and i really cant be bothered waiting another 3 weeks to get the HD598... And to be honest, i don't think the HD598s look that good :/, probably just cause I'm too young to like them. Also I've heard that they don't sound much different than the HD558s, is this true??

May 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #794 of 1,217
I own a fidelio x1 and a beats pro and I was experimenting with cables yesterday for my beats pro since I was thinking "hmm.. cables does help in clarity for my x1.. why not switch the cables on 'em ehh?" . So I tried x1's cable on the beats and blew my mind. Everything became sooooo clear (I always felt the pros were muddy sounding) and made me love my beats. Abit less bass, but very great Improvements on clarity. You guys should check it out :p

May 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #795 of 1,217
Yeah DisCHORDDubstep i would love a pair of HD800, but no amount of cutting the grass and pressure washing the slabs in the neighbors garden would pay for them. I have saved up for a few months now, and i really cant be bothered waiting another 3 weeks to get the HD598... And to be honest, i don't think the HD598s look that good :/, probably just cause I'm too young to like them. Also I've heard that they don't sound much different than the HD558s, is this true??

I own a fidelio x1 and a beats pro and I was experimenting with cables yesterday for my beats pro since I was thinking "hmm.. cables does help in clarity for my x1.. why not switch the cables on 'em ehh?" . So I tried x1's cable on the beats and blew my mind. Everything became sooooo clear (I always felt the pros were muddy sounding) and made me love my beats. Abit less bass, but very great Improvements on clarity. You guys should check it out :p
interesting! How good is the v-moda cable compared to those? I'm thinking about telling my friend to get one... Oh, and aidsburns, I'm going to get an actual job this summer to maybe buy a flagship can. I'm thinking k812. Easy to drive, extremely detailed (and brutally revealing, even compared to hd800... Apparently the most brutally revealing dynamic headphone today. Note: not the best. The best is any headphone you think is the best. Its opinion.)... Maybe not a great soundstage, but I've been told it needs 2000 hours of burn in to be at full potential. O_O I just want to get that insane detail and revealing power they are said to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back