The hate on beats, why?
May 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #766 of 1,217
To be fair, those speakers probably only cost $5000 to make, I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near $20,000. They're selling them for $1M, thus the 20,000% mark-up.

And in reality, that swag-shirt was probably closer to 800% mark-up from the very cost to make it.

May 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #767 of 1,217
To be fair, those speakers probably only cost $5000 to make, I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near $20,000. They're selling them for $1M, thus the 20,000% mark-up.

And in reality, that swag-shirt was probably closer to 800% mark-up from the very cost to make it.

What speakers are we talking about?

May 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #770 of 1,217
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

For that kind of money, they better sound better than having the band play me a private gig - how on earth they can justify those kind of prices is beyond me - never mind the kind of customer that actually pulls the trigger on a pair :blink:

BBQ Grill?

I wonder if AUDEZE took inspiration from a family BBQ session :D

swag_aint_cheap_hooded_pullover-r1a9b6f77c0db4dddbed25abd71fe941c_wiok0_512.jpg
there is no volcano in Hawaii. Its just chuck norris's barbecue. (random joke I was reminded of.) and swag is actually slang for stolen property, so I'm guessing it was in a movie or something, and a person interpreted it as a word for cool. It literally means, stolen property. That's cheaper than getting it from a store lol... And, the speakers... HOLY CRAP.

May 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #772 of 1,217
Plus, if we are talking about production markup, just a guess, but all of the flagship headphones are marked up by at least 350%. And google glasses that were just released for 1500$ only cost 80$ to make.

May 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #773 of 1,217

S.W.A.G

Shamelessly showcasing your impressive collection again, I see. Any more digital image compositions this time?

May 23, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #774 of 1,217
there is no volcano in Hawaii. Its just chuck norris's barbecue. (random joke I was reminded of.) and swag is actually slang for stolen property, so I'm guessing it was in a movie or something, and a person interpreted it as a word for cool. It literally means, stolen property. That's cheaper than getting it from a store lol... And, the speakers... HOLY CRAP.

Hmm...if I remember correctly, swag came from the word "swagger," an Irish word referring to an arrogant type of walk. Puffed-chest, chin high, snobby kinda thing. It's also used as a verb. The word was adopted into the English lanuage some time later, and then at some point, swag came in.

May 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #775 of 1,217
noun

1. a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.

2. a wreath, spray, or cluster of foliage, flowers, or fruit.

3. a festoon, especially one very heavy toward the center.

4. a swale.

5. a swaying or lurching movement.

verb (used without object) [swagged, swag·ging.]

1. to move heavily or unsteadily from side to side or up and down; sway.

2. to hang loosely and heavily; sink down.

verb (used with object) [swagged, swag·ging.]

1. to cause to sway, sink, or sag.

2. to hang or adorn with swags.

noun

1. Slang.

a. plunder; booty.

b. money; valuables.

2. a traveler's bundle containing personal belongings, cooking utensils, food, or the like.

verb (used without object) [swagged, swag·ging.]

1. to travel about carrying one's bundle of personal belongings. ( so many definitions of swag... I guess we all are right.)

May 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #777 of 1,217
  Hmm...if I remember correctly, swag came from the word "swagger," an Irish word referring to an arrogant type of walk. Puffed-chest, chin high, snobby kinda thing. It's also used as a verb. The word was adopted into the English lanuage some time later, and then at some point, swag came in.

Swag in its current form means, that, yes. It doesn't refer to stolen merchandise, as should be self-evident by the fact that it's used both in reference to purchased jewelry and to a personal demeanor. 

Swag can ALSO mean plunder, but you get all sorts of "swag" when you go to a convention. That's a term that goes back ages. "Just got back from Comic-Con, got lots of cool swag!" 

So no, it has nothing to do with rappers or whoever glamorizing stealing their stuff or whatever. 

May 24, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #779 of 1,217
May 24, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #780 of 1,217
Considering those are marketed towards kids - "appropriate for ages 3 and up" - those can slide........especially considering a 3-year-old shouldn't have a device other than a really cheap iPod that plays music in the first place.  I didn't even get an iPod 'til I was 13.  And it was the Mini.  AND I had to share it with my mom.  AND it only held 4GB of music.  BACK IN MAH DAAY!!!! :p

ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!

A few months ago I heard every single Beats headphone (on-ear and over-ear) they offer at a Best Buy that's close to a university I attend.  Personally, I really like the Mixrs.  They sound like my Ultrasone DJ1 but are more harsh (which I don't like for listening but works well for DJ'ing), love the look, and I was actually surprised they sounded so well.  So, in my honest opinion, the order of sound quality goes:

Mixr, Beats Pro (they sound exactly like my Ultrasone DJ1 except a bit less bass), the new Studios (MUCH better than the old ones), Executive, the old Studios, gonorrhea, being trampled, being stabbed, being castrated, brain dead, HD Solos.  Why would anyone in their right mind buy the HD Solos?  What are you, deaf?  Literally, you'd have to be legally deaf in order to think the HD Solos sound decent.  I skipped out on the wireless model.  I have a feeling they're just the same as the Solos, but wireless.  If that's the case, no thank you.  I'll take cyanide instead.

I also got a chance to play with the Beats Pill.  Not sure which model but it was pretty big and, again at Best Buy (this time it was the GTA V launch party).  They were decent with anything that has a Rap/Hip-Hop beat, so Rap/Hip-Hop (duh) and EDM Trap sound pretty good.  Anything else was pure garbage...........and still better than the Solo's.  I REALLY hate the Solos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back