The Greatest Closed Headphone thread
Sep 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #77 of 110
Quote:
I guess I should have added /T70 to it.

I'm probably one of the only dudes who aren't impressed with the W3000ANV.

But I spent only about 15mins with them. Not enough really...

My contenders list isn't that reliable anymore since I haven't heard most of the headphones on the list.

So it's just impressions from others that I am relying on! So take the list with a pile of salt.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #78 of 110
For all the Denon voters:

Exactly how much sound do these headphones leak? Compared to an open headphone that is. 

For me the amount of sound leakage is more important than the amount of isolation, these things do tend to go hand in hand.

But I could never use an open headphone at work without bothering my colleagues, however I could use a headphone that has little isolation but also little leakage. Especially since there is barely any background noise.

So would the Denons be usable in a working place where it's fairly silent at times?
If the answer is no, these are not considered closed headphones by my classifications.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #79 of 110
Quote:

Exactly how much sound do these headphones leak? Compared to an open headphone that is. 

For me the amount of sound leakage is more important than the amount of isolation, these things do tend to go hand in hand.

But I could never use an open headphone at work without bothering my colleagues, however I could use a headphone that has little isolation but also little leakage. Especially since there is barely any background noise.

So would the Denons be usable in a working place where it's fairly silent at times?
If the answer is no, these are not considered closed headphones by my classifications.

IF you listen at normal/low levels, sound leakage is VERY minimal (with headphones ON of course :wink:). I work in a cubicle environment and when I used my D5000s here at low volumes, no one could hear anything. Now, when I went past let's say 60-70%, it leaked A LOT!!! So definitely the Denons are not Fully closed. It's a fact that has been mentioned quite a few times before and a lot of people sees it as a negative/con. It does not leak like an open headphone but still...

There are a lot of GREAT 'closed' can choices. My favorites would be:

Shure SRH940
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone Signature Pros
Fostex T50RPs -- MrSpeakers Mad Dogs

If I had to live with just one of these... ermmm.. it would definitely be a toss up between the Mad Dogs and the Sig Pros.... just great sound reproduction throughout!

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #80 of 110
Quote:

IF you listen at normal/low levels, sound leakage is VERY minimal (with headphones ON of course :wink:). I work in a cubicle environment and when I used my D5000s here at low volumes, no one could hear anything. Now, when I went past let's say 60-70%, it leaked A LOT!!! So definitely the Denons are not Fully closed. It's a fact that has been mentioned quite a few times before and a lot of people sees it as a negative/con. It does not leak like an open headphone but still...

There are a lot of GREAT 'closed' can choices. My favorites would be:

Shure SRH940
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone Signature Pros
Fostex T50RPs -- MrSpeakers Mad Dogs

If I had to live with just one of these... ermmm.. it would definitely be a toss up between the Mad Dogs and the Sig Pros.... just great sound reproduction throughout!

Thanks for your input :) I might need to add the shures. But I'm so biased about them.

<rant> I think as closed headphones as headphones that can be used anywhere anytime. This is the main function of these type of headphones, period. It's also pretty useless to listen to a 600 euro headphone on low levels, since this is not the optimum way of listening to music. So yeah I do not classify the Denon's as closed headphones </rant>

However I do not think badly of open headphones at all, they just aren't practical.

Howmuch are the mad dogs anyway?

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #81 of 110
The Mad Dogs range from $250 to $300 (this last option includes the headphones with the leather head band and the new ear pads...)

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #82 of 110
Great thread! I would add the KRK KNS-8400 to this lineup. Really amazing sq for such a reasonable price and very comfortable. I have to look into those 8.35Ds though! Already posted a 'wanted' ad for them. I need supreme isolation on the go - would anybody say they isolate better than the HD25s on the train?

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #83 of 110
I have used the Denon AH-D7000 in a plane as well as extensively use it in office. Unless you play music really loud and/or you have someone sitting right next to you, the sound leak should be minimal and it would definitely not bother people. I sit with 6-9 people around a table and no one has yet complained about sound leakage. I had the same response in the earlier cubicle too. But to listen to music at high volumes, I had to get into a conference room or play music when no one is around.

This is the reason why I carry my ER-4 along with Denon's to office. Why compromise on quality of music for isolation.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #84 of 110
Quote:

I have the 7100's at the office which is quiet.  When a co-worker tries them out at strong listening levels (i.e., just shy of uncomfortable volume), I cannot hear anything from 4 feet away.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #85 of 110
I would describe it similar with my Audio technica ATH900 the closed back performance is average,  if I have the sound up on my pc about
60-70%,  other people in the same room could hear it,  other room not really.

If I do crank up the music to 80-100% to really enjoy it yeah its noticable in other rooms with door closed just about contained.

The AKG K550s however have superior isolation,  just covering it with my hand a good 50-70% of noise is blocked,  I have yet to test it
with someone else in the room though considering its tricky to get the seal/fit as many described.  But if the hand covering test is anything
to go by the K550s make my A900s like open headphones or semi !

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #87 of 110
Yes, there is. It was only a special order and it is discontinued so now too many people are looking for one (including me) and they prefer not to give out this underrated secret 
wink.gif

It should wipe the floor with most closed phones but very large and heavy so the comfort is questionable.

I also like the HD250 Linear II, comfortable, good isolation and quite an open sound for a closed phone (somewhat similar to HD25 tonally, but better in every way).

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #88 of 110
Quote:
Yes, there is. It was only a special order and it is discontinued so now too many people are looking for one (including me) and they prefer not to give out this underrated secret 
wink.gif

It should wipe the floor with most closed phones but very large and heavy so the comfort is questionable.

I also like the HD250 Linear II, comfortable, good isolation and quite an open sound for a closed phone (somewhat similar to HD25 tonally, but better in every way).

The best combination between the 4070 and the HD250 with more bass will be the Ultrasone Pro/PL-650. They sounds like a new version of the HD-250, and they're more aggressive compare the Stax, but with great soundstage.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #89 of 110
Quote:
Great thread! I would add the KRK KNS-8400 to this lineup. Really amazing sq for such a reasonable price and very comfortable. I have to look into those 8.35Ds though! Already posted a 'wanted' ad for them. I need supreme isolation on the go - would anybody say they isolate better than the HD25s on the train?

I would love to listen to those krk's!

And as a former owner of the HD25s I can say, without any doubt, that the gmp 8.35D isolates quite a bit better than the HD25-1 IIs.
Read my review on the gmp 8.35D, it contains a A-B comparison on the gmp 8.35Ds and the hd25-1 IIs.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #90 of 110
Quote:
wink.gif

Very interesting, why is that headphone never mentioned in the "what closed headphone should i buy :0" threads? It's always ath-m50 screw yeah, and HD25-1 II are the best screw*** headphones in the world because djs use them!

But why are these hd250 Linear II never mentioned? Is it because they are new to the market? And are they really linear sounding? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back