The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 5, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #2,581 of 2,859
Could this be some type of cross-promotion between Grado headphones and F1 racing? Burger King and Nascar have come together in the past--why not Grado/F1?

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #2,582 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I wonder where you come up with some of the stuff you post. So you are saying that because Todd had an integral part in the HF2 debut, so he is culpable for Grado's manufacturing mistake. The term "culpable" means: deserving blame or censure; blameworthy. Do you really believe, based upon the information you have right now, that Todd is deserving of blame? Maybe, in the end, we will discover that Todd was involved in the manufacturing, or knew about the mistake and sent them out anyway. However, until them, I don't believe you are being fair to Todd.

I didn't say Todd was responsible for the manufacturing mistake. Stop playing a cross-examining litigator & putting words in my mouth that I did not say or write.

I believe that a seller (Todd) is an integral part of the retail chain. They choose the manufacturers with whom they do business, presumably with a belief that said manufacturer is providing a solid product. They receive a percentage of the sale based on an agreed markup from wholesale. For this, they are the frontline between the product & the buyer. This is how Todd earns his living. He doesn't do this for free.

Todd advertised a product months ahead of time. I don't really know why this was done without pictures. Why all the secrecy? I can only surmise that he never actually saw a product from John Grado, or at least never had one in-hand until just prior to CanJam.

Saying that Todd was "really busy" or "overrun" with orders, and simply shipped them out upon receipt at the loading dock is not an excuse. To simply allow him to throw his hands up & say "I didn't know" does not satisfy me. He is responsible for what he ships. He is the only seller of these headphones. For many (especially those outside the US) he is essentially the face of Grado in this transaction. Obviously he did not cause the manufacturing error, but he does have a resposibility to inspect product that he sells (at least QC a reasonable sample from each shipment?). Otherwise, what do we need him for? I consider him partially (if not equally) responsible for the entire issue.

I equate "responsible" with "blame" when there is a mistake to be responsible for. At the same time, as I posted earlier, I fully expect him to do whatever he has to to make things right. This, however, does not erase the debacle from memory. I'm not sorry if that opinion offends anyone, and don't consider calling it as it is "unfair". This is not personal.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #2,584 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally i'd keep the head-hf1 if there are no other overriding issues... if lots of people return them they could become very valuable and almost collectors items.

I don't know about the whole value thing, but if I can get a decent price on them as B-Stock, I'd certainly go for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #2,585 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
<snip>Saying that Todd was "really busy" or "overrun" with orders, and simply shipped them out upon receipt at the loading dock is not an excuse. To simply allow him to throw his hands up & say "I didn't know" does not satisfy me. He is responsible for what he ships. He is the only seller of these headphones. For many (especially those outside the US) he is essentially the face of Grado in this transaction. Obviously he did not cause the manufacturing error, but he does have a resposibility to inspect product that he sells (at least QC a reasonable sample from each shipment?). Otherwise, what do we need him for? I consider him partially (if not equally) responsible for the entire issue.</snip>

As a seller, I agree with you that Todd should feel some responsibility. I would and many that I know in similar situations would, too. That responsibility comes naturally with the desire for wanting to satisfy your customers.

However - to expect Todd to provide a second layer of quality control - to open supposedly sealed packages from a reputable mfr and inspect every one of them - is simply ridiculous. If you've read through some of these threads, it's apparent that many customers didn't even notice the issue when they had the headphones in hand and on head.

IMHO, Todd's responsibility is what any retailer's should be: to coordinate with the manufacturer to confirm the issue, help find out the extent of the problem, and then provide the direct interface to the customer for whatever restitution may be offered.

It sounds like no one here has heard directly from either Todd or Grado. They are probably busy trying to find out where the fault occurred. That's what should be done at this point and anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #2,586 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't say Todd was responsible for the manufacturing mistake. Stop playing a cross-examining litigator & putting words in my mouth that I did not say or write.

He didn't put words in your mouth, he pointed out that you were using words that have specific meaning, and using them in a way that wasn't appropriate.

Quote:

Todd advertised a product months ahead of time. I don't really know why this was done without pictures. Why all the secrecy? I can only surmise that he never actually saw a product from John Grado, or at least never had one in-hand until just prior to CanJam.

Given that the HF2s he delivered at canjam didn't have the problem in question, how he chose to promote the HF2s has nothing to do with the current problem.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #2,587 of 2,859
For the Grado-haters this situation is pure comedic gold, the gift that keeps on giving :facepalm:

Personally I will be happy to keep using my F1's until Todd has closed the order book and fulfilled all existing orders, then I expect to send them back to Brooklyn for new cups and receive a very fast turnaround and "assistance" with that $55 Fedex International Priority postage back to me.

It's not like I need the money or anything but there is a principle at stake here, and especially after my own HF-1 debacle - "my" pair which never actually arrived at all (what happened to #281 anyway?)

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #2,588 of 2,859
Quote:

You put the words in your own mouth. You said he was culpable without knowing anything more than what has been posted so far and the fact that Todd promoted the product. Your words speak for themselves. Back up what you write or don't, that's your call. You don't want to be cross examined than don't make statements like that without any basis in fact.

Quote:

I believe that a seller (Todd) is an integral part of the retail chain. They choose the manufacturers with whom they do business, presumably with a belief that said manufacturer is providing a solid product. They receive a percentage of the sale based on an agreed markup from wholesale. For this, they are the frontline between the product & the buyer. This is how Todd earns his living. He doesn't do this for free.

My HF2's have an "I" not a "1" so the mistake didn't appear in all of them. You really believe that Todd didn't post pics when promoting these because he knew about it, despite the fact that, at least my pair is correct. This is beyond irresponsible.

Quote:

Saying that Todd was "really busy" or "overrun" with orders, and simply shipped them out upon receipt at the loading dock is not an excuse. To simply allow him to throw his hands up & say "I didn't know" does not satisfy me. He is responsible for what he ships. He is the only seller of these headphones. For many (especially those outside the US) he is essentially the face of Grado in this transaction. Obviously he did not cause the manufacturing error, but he does have a resposibility to inspect product that he sells (at least QC a reasonable sample from each shipment?). Otherwise, what do we need him for? I consider him partially (if not equally) responsible for the entire issue.

I never said this. Had Todd evaluated each headphone before going out, no doubt he would have caught this and the only difference is they wouldn't have been shipped. He would not have been able to waive a magic wand and turn the 1 into and I.

Quote:

I equate "responsible" with "blame" when there is a mistake to be responsible for. At the same time, as I posted earlier, I fully expect him to do whatever he has to to make things right. This, however, does not erase the debacle from memory. I'm not sorry if that opinion offends anyone.

You have a right to your opinion. It's your conclusions that offend, in particular based upon what is known at this moment.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #2,589 of 2,859
Quote:

uh...it seems to me that Mike quoted EXACTLY what you wrote. That's not putting words in your mouth, now is it?

Perhaps you made a mistake in putting it quite that way. We should all take responsibility for our mistakes, don't you agree?
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #2,591 of 2,859
Quote:

My HF2's have an "I" not a "1" so the mistake didn't appear in all of them.

If anyone has been following this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...r-here-432657/
we see that only 3 people has reported of owning a typo pair. Not exactly widespread issue yet, but then again not everyone of the first batch has received their pair yet. Lets see what next week turns out.

[size=xx-small]completely irrelevant sidenote but this is quite a rare sight: mods at each others throats... banhammer fight?[/size]

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #2,592 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone has been following this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...r-here-432657/
we see that only 3 people has reported of owning a typo pair. Not exactly widespread issue yet, but then again not everyone of the first batch has received their pair yet. Lets see what next week turns out.

Good point as to the number of pairs that have the error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
[size=xx-small]completely irrelevant sidenote but this is quite a rare sight. mods at each others throats... banhammer fight?[/size]

Not sure of the point but we are members first.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #2,593 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure of the point but we are members first.

I know that! But even knowing this still somehow amused my sense of irony.
smily_headphones1.gif
Ignore the comment, please. It was just something I had to say out loud, could not help it.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #2,594 of 2,859
Production mistakes happen all the time. That such an obvious one escaped Grado's QC- and trust me every manufacture has some kind of quality control, is embarrassing This isn't a Microsoft type error that can be claimed as a feature instead of a bug.

Of course, Grado is also a family business and like all family businesses probably has it's share of quirks. Who really knows how this error came to about. I suspect the first batch were inspected and approved by John himself, then John delegated to someone and said, "repeat" and that's where the problem occurred.

Since these are being manufactured in small batches I'm sure the problem will be corrected. Lets just hope that the QC for driver manufacturer is a lot better.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #2,595 of 2,859
I just hope John doesnt feel bitter about it, I want my pair and I waited 2 months already don't feel like waiting longer for it to be ironed out.

John or Todd havent responded because they are gone for the weekend and said they will be back Monday or Tuesday.

Tyrion, were you in the CanJam pairs or first batch? We know everyone from CanJam has perfect sets. But I am curious if the entire 1st batch shipped out was erroneous or just a handful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back