The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #1,306 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome thanks for trying that. A few questions of course
smily_headphones1.gif

First, what type pf music did you try the large bowls with, are they maybe good for genres like classical? (No, I'm not going to buy different cans for different genres, yet
wink.gif
)

Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa, and Diana Krall - Live in Paris.

Quote:

By soundstage more distant do you mean that rather than 'front row or on the stage' you're more 'middle of auditorium or back row'? Or does it make the soundstage larger?

Distant as in "middle to back" of auditorium instead of front row. The venue didn't seem any bigger, just put me in a different location but with more sparkle in the treble and less weight on the mids and mid-bass. There was a disconnect where I didn't feel bonded with the musicians and instruments, but rather I was watching them from an impersonal vantage point. Some of the weight or meat of the music and instruments was missing, and the tone was less rich and vibrant - they didn't seem solid anymore in my mind. I had to revisit the GS-1000 bowls, and still don't really care for them because they take away what is special about the HF-2.

PS: At least it didn't put me in the bathroom at the concert...

Quote:

Interesting about relaxing the mids, that makes me think of what people write about the GS1000. Perhaps large bowls have usefulness for low volume or relaxed listening?

Not really.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #1,309 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the HF2, but the ESW10 is better without a dedicated amp

Thanks..they are pretty much in the same price range so I was wondering how they match up. What do you like better about the HF2?

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #1,310 of 2,859
The HF2s are less fatiguing, and scale better with good amplification. I still haven't spent a ton of time with mine yet, I'm still recovering from CanJam. The ESW10s were borrowed, and I was amazed by them, but 2 hrs was about the longest I could listen.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #1,311 of 2,859
Ok HPA I think you have me convinced not to bother with large pads, the not knowing part might kill me later though
smily_headphones1.gif
So you felt that bowls were best in every situation? Is there any kind of music you didn't try?

Say, do bowls fit mostly around your ears or do they sit on them? I have small ears and bowls cover my ears fully all the way around touching my head, the top part of my ear and my earlobe just gets bent in a bit.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #1,314 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1000 pads (brand new) don't make the HF-2 sound bad, but they take away the magic and excitement of the rich vibrant mids. There is NO reason to bother with the spacers, I think.

With HF-2/GS-1000 bowls the soundstage is more distant, and the treble is tipped up a bit more, but the bass remains present. The treble is not edgy, but brighter. It reminds me a little of a SR-325i with bowls, but this is even more distant sounding with slightly more or the same bass (don't have the 325i to compare to any more). If I recall, my SR-325i had much more bass before they burned in than when they were done burning in (just like my Proline 2500).

So far now, out of flats, bowls and GS-1000 donuts I like the bowls first, then the flats, and the GS-1000 bowls last.

Thanks for trying it out! I'll stick to the bowls for now

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #1,315 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flats=always better.

muddy=always better?

tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #1,316 of 2,859
Quote:

I prefer the HF2, but the ESW10 is better without a dedicated amp

Quote:

The HF2s are less fatiguing, and scale better with good amplification. I still haven't spent a ton of time with mine yet, I'm still recovering from CanJam. The ESW10s were borrowed, and I was amazed by them, but 2 hrs was about the longest I could listen.

Exactly right. However, if you need portability the 10s are the way to go.

I'm liking the bowls a lot right now, and when I switched to flats, didn't like the change. Tomorrow, I'm going to start with flats and see if it was me just not liking the quick switch when I had just gotten used to the sound of the bowls or if I actually prefer one over the other. Luckily for me, it will probably take more than a few long sessions for me to sort that out.
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #1,317 of 2,859
I officially switched back to bowls yesterday. I definitely prefer flats on the HP-2s but the bass levels are preferable with bowls on the HF-2s to me.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #1,318 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, "GARDO HEAD-FY HEADFONE HE-2" wouldn't bother you?

As with things like rare postage stamps and coins, misspellings actually increase the value.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #1,320 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by emelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can borrow mine once they arrive if you want...there should still be time to decide...

*n/m...looks like you already ordered yourself some
cool.gif

Emelius - thanks buddy
smily_headphones1.gif
I sold enough old cables to cover the HF-2's. We'll have to find a place to meet up to hear if there's any difference between HF-2's...and I still want to hear the 7000's sometime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back