The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 3, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #1,291 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might have to throw on some nice sealant/synthetic wax to save these babies for a lifetime of good use!

That would be really annoying, though. I would hope that Grado learned their lesson with the HP1000 20 years ago.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #1,293 of 2,859
Quote:

Might have to throw on some nice sealant/synthetic wax to save these babies for a lifetime of good use!

Yeah, I heard that when the silkscreen rubs off there's a pretty dramatic reduction in resolution and imaging. I'd have to get rid of my HF2s if that ever happened to mine.

I've also heard it's best to wash the silkscreen very gently before burn-in. Tames the highs a bit.

wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #1,295 of 2,859
Here is a close up of mine.

The lack of uniformity on mine lead me to believe they were not laser etched.

HF2.jpg

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,298 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like a quality issue that needs to be addressed.

Gotta agree with that. You'd think by now Grado would learn their lesson on something like this. I hear Mr. Ray Samuels knows a thing or two about how to achieve nice silk-screening on his amps.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,299 of 2,859
As far as quality issues go, it's pretty minor if the headphone sounds fine and there are no actual structural/physical defects.

It would be less annoying (to me) than the persistent creek in the left cup of every frigging HD-650 ever manufactured. The headphones would actually look better without the lettering. Unless the concern here is resale value, in which case the HP1000s by way of example seem to do fairly well with the same quality control issue.

I agree it's annoying and should be addressed, but. . . .

Edit: Also, it's still a great deal more attractive then the abominable appearance of those infamous friday night special RS1s (where the tooling of the entire cup seems to have been off). I should hold my tongue though, until I get my HF2s. Knock on wood.

vpivinylspinner, have you noticed any other defects? Hope all is well.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #1,300 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone tried the gs/ps1000 pads on the hf2?

The GS-1000 pads (brand new) don't make the HF-2 sound bad, but they take away the magic and excitement of the rich vibrant mids. There is NO reason to bother with the spacers, I think.

With HF-2/GS-1000 bowls the soundstage is more distant, and the treble is tipped up a bit more, but the bass remains present. The treble is not edgy, but brighter. It reminds me a little of a SR-325i with bowls, but this is even more distant sounding with slightly more or the same bass (don't have the 325i to compare to any more). If I recall, my SR-325i had much more bass before they burned in than when they were done burning in (just like my Proline 2500).

So far now, out of flats, bowls and GS-1000 donuts I like the bowls first, then the flats, and the GS-1000 bowls last.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #1,301 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vpivinylspinner, have you noticed any other defects? Hope all is well.

I don't have any defects, the lighter text is accentuated by the lighting in the pic so they look worse than they are. Listening to the Stockfisch Records sampler I got at CanJam with bowls in place and right now I wouldn't care if they misspelled the words as they are sounding great.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #1,302 of 2,859
I don't have any letter issues with mine, thank goodness. The phone glowed (sounded great) right out of the box, I hooked up the Berning Micro-Zotl this morning and had a scrumptious Breakfast!

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #1,303 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any defects, the lighter text is accentuated by the lighting in the pic so they look worse than they are. Listening to the Stockfisch Records sampler I got at CanJam with bowls in place and right now I wouldn't care if they misspelled the words as they are sounding great.

LOL

So, "GARDO HEAD-FY HEADFONE HE-2" wouldn't bother you?

Just to make sure, the lettering is etched, correct? Not some kind of silk-screen or other rub-off-able type? If it isn't etched, mine will be shortly after I receive them.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #1,304 of 2,859
Lettering looks etched not silk-screened. Grado might have done a 100% perfect job at etching it, but it does look nice and I bet will not rub-off. Anyone with HF-2 care to rub the lettering to check for us without them?
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #1,305 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1000 pads (brand new) don't make the HF-2 sound bad, but they take away the magic and excitement of the rich vibrant mids. There is NO reason to bother with the spacers, I think.

With HF-2/GS-1000 bowls the soundstage is more distant, and the treble is tipped up a bit more, but the bass remains present. The treble is not edgy, but brighter. It reminds me a little of a SR-325i with bowls, but this is even more distant sounding with slightly more or the same bass (don't have the 325i to compare to any more). If I recall, my SR-325i had much more bass before they burned in than when they were done burning in (just like my Proline 2500).

So far now, out of flats, bowls and GS-1000 donuts I like the bowls first, then the flats, and the GS-1000 bowls last.

Awesome thanks for trying that. A few questions of course
smily_headphones1.gif

First, what type pf music did you try the large bowls with, are they maybe good for genres like classical? (No, I'm not going to buy different cans for different genres, yet
wink.gif
)

By soundstage more distant do you mean that rather than 'front row or on the stage' you're more 'middle of auditorium or back row'? Or does it make the soundstage larger?

Interesting about relaxing the mids, that makes me think of what people write about the GS1000. Perhaps large bowls have usefulness for low volume or relaxed listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back