The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jun 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #1,351 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Bon 0013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you any experience with the RS-1/HF-1?
How do they compare??

Other than the elusive brown headband / no serial number RS-1, I've never cared for the RS-1. It's been months since I've heard Ari's pair at the NYC meet, so I wouldn't want to compare. But I did do a direct comparison of a friend's HF-2 to my DIY-modded HF-1. The HF-2 is definitely in the same family of sound, but struck me as a noticeable improvement on pretty much all fronts. The HF-2 has (significantly) more bass extension and punch, mids are similarly wonderful, but with better instrument separation there's and a smoother, more detailed treble presentation. It's definitely a winner in my book, and I've preferred my HF-1 to all non-vintage RS-1 Grados before, including the PS-1 (too much bass), GS-1000 (sucked out mids, peaky treble), HP-1000 (technically proficient but lifeless... and heavy and awkward on my head). While the HF-2 is heavier than my all-wood HF-1, it's not at all uncomfortable, even with new bowls. The cup appears to have less metal material the the 325i I had before, and as such, isn't at all uncomfortable for me. Preliminary impressions lead me to believe that the HF-2 will be my preferred Grado for the foreseeable future, though more time would be needed for a more detailed comparison.

And I'm more than little curious to hear what an all-wood HF-2 might sound like...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #1,352 of 2,859
Wow Grawk that is an amazingly good impact and impression you found! I want mine so bad!

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #1,356 of 2,859
biggrin.gif
Id like to hear a modified HF-1. If it was that much better I might consider disecting my pair.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #1,357 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only care that if they make X number that the build quality doesn't suffer.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. I'm not getting this headphone to speculate and make money (but the idea of recouping my investment if my life takes yet another turn and I have to sell off all my worldly possessions is comforting). I'm not expecting miracles, but all I want is great sound and none of those RS1 build quality horror stories. Heirloom quality woule be great and all, but I don't expect it. Those Grado QC problems (or my perception of them from reading head-fi) is honestly the main thing that's kept me off higher end Grados.

Incidentally, my only concerns with the post-pumping guy were (a) it was obnoxious in the context of threads and (b) he had at least 5 accounts pumping the same crap. I don't care who gets the HF2s in the long run (and it's not like I think that I'm any kind of wonderful contributer; pretty sure I suck in point of fact), and I don't really care how exclusive it is, and I'm very glad head-fi, Grado Labs, and TTVJ all profit from interest in these. Just didn't want to see a bunch of spammers make a run on it and close down production early for people down the line, honestly. Anyway, his aliases have been banned, no harm, no foul.

SO, right. Back on track: the slight imperfections in Grados are proof that they were crafted by the honest, simple, hard-working, indigenous peoples of Brooklyn. I mean that seriously; I love the fact that Grado does this on such a small, relatively unsophisticated scale (compared to one of the Big German Corporations, say). Regardless of how many HF-2s go out the gate, that makes them pretty special, and adds a nice emotional resonance for me. I just hope mine (and everyone else's) are built with care and not rushed to fill a huge demand, and sound as good as the early serial number HF-2s.
wink.gif

Because:
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'm listening to my HF2s right now out of the duet, and I have absolutely no complaints. For a total system cost (mac mini, apogee duet, grado HF-2) of less than $1500, this is a rig that gets tone (the most important thing a system can get right, imho) absolutely perfect. I'm pleased as punch.

This just made my day. And makes the wait so much harder. I'm so bloody anxious to try it myself.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #1,358 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than the elusive brown headband / no serial number RS-1, I've never cared for the RS-1. It's been months since I've heard Ari's pair at the NYC meet, so I wouldn't want to compare. But I did do a direct comparison of a friend's HF-2 to my DIY-modded HF-1. The HF-2 is definitely in the same family of sound, but struck me as a noticeable improvement on pretty much all fronts. The HF-2 has (significantly) more bass extension and punch, mids are similarly wonderful, but with better instrument separation there's and a smoother, more detailed treble presentation. It's definitely a winner in my book, and I've preferred my HF-1 to all non-vintage RS-1 Grados before, including the PS-1 (too much bass), GS-1000 (sucked out mids, peaky treble), HP-1000 (technically proficient but lifeless... and heavy and awkward on my head). While the HF-2 is heavier than my all-wood HF-1, it's not at all uncomfortable, even with new bowls. The cup appears to have less metal material the the 325i I had before, and as such, isn't at all uncomfortable for me. Preliminary impressions lead me to believe that the HF-2 will be my preferred Grado for the foreseeable future, though more time would be needed for a more detailed comparison.

And I'm more than little curious to hear what an all-wood HF-2 might sound like...
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is my experience as well with the HP-1000 and GS1000s. Can't wait to receive my HF-2 as it seems it will be to my liking.

Thanks to all for their impressions thus far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,359 of 2,859
Forgive me if this has already been covered extensively (if anyone could redirect me, that would be great). I remember reading a some comments that the HF-2 handles a variety of genres much better than most other Grados. Could someone offer their opinion on how the HF-2 handled the various genres they tried?

Thank you to those who are giving their time to answer questions here. It's very much appreciated.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #1,361 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not expecting miracles, but all I want is great sound and none of those RS1 build quality horror stories. Heirloom quality woule be great and all, but I don't expect it. Those Grado QC problems (or my perception of them from reading head-fi) is honestly the main thing that's kept me off higher end Grados.

Cosmetic issues with Grados (minor or not) will likely always exist for reasons you stated. I personally was "victimized" with one of the "Late Friday" RS1's several years ago (late 2005). In fact, I was the one who initially coined that phrase and (TMK) was the first to report it.
wink.gif

However, Grado seems to have gotten their act (mostly) together from what I've seen, especially the current woodies (those without buttons). They all appear to have very nicely crafted cups. The new RS2 (buttonless) that I bought last year has excellent woodwork (crisp edges) and even finish, even by my high standards, although I still have the sloppy crimping and excess glue.

With the HF-2, the most likely cosmetic defect I expect to see are tiny dings and faint scratches here and there on the aluminum cups. I noticed a few of these on my MS2i when I bought them new from Alessandro.

Nonetheless, I'm really anticipating getting mine! From what I've read so far, my RS2's (and even MS-Pros) may have some stiff competition.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #1,362 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Really looking forward to them now. Thanks for your impressions.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,363 of 2,859
I don't know whether to thank you guys or curse you guys for these impressions :p. To be honest, I went to Can Jam, and didn't even try out these phones because I've never really been that interested in Grados. But now, I'm down $450, and desperate to hear these cans...

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #1,364 of 2,859
Gawd.. this is going to be a slooooow month - every time I look at (and read reviews about) them [which is several times daily]...I desire them more and more. Guess July will see a flood of grateful replies and reviews from we overwrought Head-Fiers.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #1,365 of 2,859
How harsh is the treble on the HF2? The only Grado I've heard extensively is a later stock RS-1. I liked the sound, but the treble emphasis was too fatiguing for me, causing my ears to ring after twenty to thirty minutes of low volume listening. If the HF2's treble isn't too fatiguing, I may have to pick up a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back