The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jan 31, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #1,396 of 1,528
If you don't like the RS1 then chances are you won't like the HF2 either and vice versa. I think a GS1ki will be more suitable for you but I have to admit it's the strangest Grado I've ever heard. It doesn't sound as pleasant and the midrange is recessed compared to the RS1/HF2, definitely try first before committing. I think none of these Grados have a treble as sharp as your ALO-780 though which I personally found very annoying.

Do try to attend meets as impressions can convey only so much. For example, I was initially stoked about the HE-5 based on impressions here but I think I don't want it anymore after hearing it personally.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,398 of 1,528
Again I find myself compelled to post how great these cans sound. I've been listening exclusively to earphones over the last few days and just decided to plug the HF2's into an unamped ipod touch. What an improvement and then there's the unmistakable verve that Grado's bring to the music. They may be coloured and not qualify as a technical phone but are they ever engaging. I'm so pleased I own these little beauties.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #1,399 of 1,528
If you have bought Jumbo Pads for the HF-2, do you prefer them? Or do you go back to the original pads?

Thanks,
JD

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #1,400 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have bought Jumbo Pads for the HF-2, do you prefer them? Or do you go back to the original pads?

Thanks,
JD

They become too bright for me, so I'm back to bowls

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #1,401 of 1,528
At the moment I prefer Jumbo pads, as they give me more comfort and I don't hear much sibilance.

Truly wonderful this HF-2!

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #1,402 of 1,528
Bullseye what do you think about the soundstage difference between jumbos and bowls? I know switching the two on my Allessandro MS-1 there was a dramatic difference like going from Grado to AKG, but when I did this I didn't have the same feeling.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #1,404 of 1,528
Well, I haven't tried them on my SR225 yet, but the most noticeable difference I find with Jumbos on HF-2 is that the midrange is more distant hence easier to hear other parts of the spectrum. It might be related to soundstage opening. Then if in both cases the drivers are correctly positioned aiming to your ear canals, the difference is not really big.

The comfort however is better and it seems that the bass (low frequency waves) is absorbed by the foam. -Pure speculation here, so don't take that as correct- That, in my opinion, is a good thing, as you never get a "bloated bass" that might happen if you haven't correctly set the headphones on top of your ears with bowls.

Xan7hos, I recommend when you put the headphones with jumbos, that you move them backwards a bit. You will notice how the correct position of the drivers gives you a better and more even response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bullseye what do you think about the soundstage difference between jumbos and bowls? I know switching the two on my Allessandro MS-1 there was a dramatic difference like going from Grado to AKG, but when I did this I didn't have the same feeling.

And regarding brightness on other genres but Jazz or classical it is not that way for me, cafe zeenuts. I have been listening to a lot of metal with them (most of the time) and they are not bright, only when the recording is bright, and that I get with bowls or jumbos. Old Yngwie Maalstem recordings sound great with Jumbos.

Finally, it took me a lot of time to get used to my SR225 (my first pair of expensive HPs) and in that time I found out how position dependent they are. They can sound great when well positioned and extremely bad and being very uncomfortable when not correctly positioned. If you bend the headband in a half\G (that is the headband not as arched as a C but more flat in the middle) and you position the drivers just in front of your ear canals, you will get an excellent experience. With the HF-2 I knew beforehand so I applied it to it and I am really enjoying them a lot.

Hope this helps
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,406 of 1,528
If you have the guts to do it, cut your jumbos back two millimeters. It will cut the sibilance while giving you significantly more soundstage than you'd get from your bowls.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,408 of 1,528
I won't do so as so far with the recordings I listen to i don't get sibilance, and when I do i just either change cans or lower volume. Very rarely though.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,409 of 1,528
Im still enjoying mine, especially Rock and Blues the HF-2 really takes a liking to those,
but i have also noticed that Jazz is equally as good.
I like to interchange with the bowls and Jumbos, when i use the latter i place foam discs given to me by Blackmore and this gives me better balance without the sibilance issues.
Then again for really Hot recordings were treble is over emphasisized i like to put on the flats, wich makes them enjoyable. With this variety of pads these cans are Horses for all courses so to speak.
icon10.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #1,410 of 1,528
Oh ye forgot to mention Bilavideo's mod on the headband sure makes a difference.
This involves bending the headband at the ends , also making the band sit flat on the top of your head Horse shoe shape.
This makes the drivers point upward giving i think punchier sound also helps with the comfort issues.Weight is spread across the head instead of feeling heavy around the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back