The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Oct 29, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #1,186 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to leave the big GS bowls on for now, and maybe do the normal bowls occasionally to change things up a bit every once in a while.

I did the same thing for a while - left the Jumbos on. Then yesterday I switched back to the originals and it was a pleasent switch. Somehow it removed the listening fatigue the Jumbos tend to give me by bringing the highs a bit more forward.

This really is a two-in-one headphone with and without the jumbos.... love it.
normal_smile .gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #1,187 of 1,528
Same here, i'm using the GS bowls and find the HF2's sound much more balanced with it. No sibilance, no harsh at all but crisp, sparkly and much more comfortable.

For me the GS bowls is definately the keeper and every HF2 owners should have one.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #1,188 of 1,528
I really gotta try it then. so many positive reviews on jumbos!

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #1,190 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same thing for a while - left the Jumbos on. Then yesterday I switched back to the originals and it was a pleasent switch. Somehow it removed the listening fatigue the Jumbos tend to give me by bringing the highs a bit more forward.

Try placing a piece of thin foam in front of the drivers. "Baby wipes" are good for several purposes
biggrin.gif

img0876w.jpg
img0877n.jpg

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #1,191 of 1,528
Since I received my repaired HD650 cable, I made some A/B comparative listening between these and my HF2.... This is night and day ! Both are goods but so different, it's disturbing. Listening to a track with one then re-listening it with the other can is like playing with the sound mixing. At the end, you have no idea how the track should sound !
HD650 has a very recessed mid, a phat bottom and a very nice and separate trebble. You can distinctly hear these 3 layers while the HF2 sounds more blended, more transparent with an in your face medium. I've been surprised to hear more bass in the HD650 than in the HF2. Note that HF2 bass impact seems to have decreased now, after around 40hrs.
At this point I can't tell which one I prefer. I'm just amazed at how 2 very good sounding headphones can be so different. I ruled out my K701 from the comparison as it doesn't sound good to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #1,192 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try placing a piece of thin foam in front of the drivers. "Baby wipes" are good for several purposes
biggrin.gif

img0876w.jpg
img0877n.jpg

Hi Calypso - that seems like a great idea. I will have to try that...

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #1,194 of 1,528
I was single for 6 months and stepped away from Head-fi 'cause I could listen to speakers as loud as I wanted whenever I wanted. Now she's back and I'm back on Head-fi only to find out I missed the second coming of the HF-1's, I take it these HF-2's are unavailable now? Why doesn't Grado just make them a standard model ?

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #1,195 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was single for 6 months and stepped away from Head-fi 'cause I could listen to speakers as loud as I wanted whenever I wanted. Now she's back and I'm back on Head-fi only to find out I missed the second coming of the HF-1's, I take it these HF-2's are unavailable now? Why doesn't Grado just make them a standard model ?

I hesitate to guess why she's back or under what conditions.
atsmile.gif
Just kidding Regal.

Because it'd defeat the purpose of being a limited edition and of saying thanks to Head-Fi to make them a production model.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #1,198 of 1,528
Quote:

I think I am going to start small with my first Grado and get an MS1i. If I really like it I''l find an HF-2.

Well ain't that this fanciest upgrade path! And my... my MS-1i's and HF-2's play so well together. Good call on the Alessandros as your first Grado cans.
wink_face.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #1,199 of 1,528
Quote:

They'll be others down the line. You didn't miss too much with the HF-2's. (flame suit with-in reach).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back