The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #571 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's an empty hope to wish it "better" than the RS1 ..............I didn't purchase the HF-2 with the RS1 in mind.. if I wanted that, I would have just gotten the RS1 and been done with it.

Two different flavors.

When the RS-1 first came on the scene, it was compared with the HP-1, for obvious reasons. It cost $100 more than the discontinued HP-1. Some actually found the RS-1 an improvement. But since the HP-1 was out of the picture, the RS-1 was compared with the Sennheiser HD580 and later on, the HD600. There were no other Grado's to compare it to.

From memory, to my ears, the closest things sonically to the HF-2 (outside of it's cousin 325i) are the PS-1 and PS1000. Now those two are way ahead of the HF-2, but IMO they share some of the same flavor; full bass, sense of power, lack of bite to the top.

The RS-1 sounds a bit more open, presentation is set a bit further back (a bit more depth) and midrange to treble is more sweet and seamless than the HF-2. My RS-1 is from 2004, so I don't know what the current version would soundlike. I think the current drivers have been tweaked to tone down the highs, which so many seemed to have a problem with. To my ears, they now sound a bit more cloudy in the mids/upper mids, maybe this is a trade-off for a less exaggerated top.

My beef with the GS1000 is that the bass was goosed to help cloud over the treble spike, but the bump is in the 80-100hZ area, not in the 30-50hZ. So I find them a bit boomy. This is why you will find a non-exaggerated bass but a very bright treble (and recessed midrange) when you put the large bagel pads on the HF-2.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #572 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two different flavors.

Hence why better is in quotes, and the parenthetical right after.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #573 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound

Treble Score: B+
Sharp, piercing, unbearable highs are what I've always associated Grados with. The HF2, is strangely civilized. I'm not saying that it's laid back, no no no... it's as tame as a grizzly can get. These babies are really quick, every strum of the guitar, every drum fill, every note is clearly defined, crisp and exciting. But, because of its relentless assault on your ears, they can get fatiguing really quickly, moreover, they still require a little refinement, smoothening of the edges a little, maybe a little more "air" and room for the music to breathe. I suppose they'll improve after massive amounts of burn-in (like with the SR-325i). What I absolutely love about the treble is its ability to be together with the music, yet unaffected by the rest of the frequencies. For example, on a bass heavy track, the bass can be going crazy while the treble is totally unfazed. Through other cans the only way this will work is if the music is disjointed as well, but, there's none of that with the HF2.

Mid Range Score: A+
SWEET. Guitars really shine through the HF2 they just sound right. The HF2 gives the music body and weight with just the right amount of mid-bass. Again, just like the treble, it's precise and quick on the draw. Definitely my favorite part about the HF2s.

Bass Score: B
Bass heads rejoice! If you've ordered a HF2, get ready for copious amounts of bass pounding against your skull. Forget about bone conduction technology, these dynamics will conduct your entire skeleton. Ok... maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but seriously, the HF2 is a beast. If you turn it up enough, you can actually feel the bass (not recommended if you treasure your ears though). So that's bass quantity covered, like 20 times over, but what about quality? I'm disappointed really, I expected deeper bass and more control, but the HF2 just can't handle bass properly. It's relatively loose and muddy (it gets worse if I use Grado flats). I doubt people will notice this upon first listen though since as I mentioned earlier, the HF2 has the weird quality of sounding right despite the heavy bass (i.e. the treble and mids aren't affected), pay close attention, then it will become apparent. Again, hopefully they will improve after burn-in. (Shoo... non-believers... shoo... a guy and hope can't he?)

Separation Score: A+
The separation is amazing, every instrument is in it's place, everything is defined with pin point precision. I've noticed details in the music that totally escaped the grasp of my K501, my Senns, my speakers, my SF5... everything. It's like listening to my music all over again. Really cool.

nice review. mine has 350-400 hours on them now, i've been burning it in strictly with music over the past few days. the bass has definitely toned down a lot and is not prominent like before. listening to them now, it sounds very neutral all across and balanced. it has definitely matured since the day it came out of the box. i don't think it's quite complete yet though, i'll think i'll stop the rigorous burn-in at 500 hours.

the soundstage has opened up to the point i will say close to the 325i. i also take back what i said about it sounding bad with flats. it actually doesn't sound that bad at all and is quite enjoyable with certain types of music. but using bowls definitely has the advantage in soundstage and separation.

time to order some salad bowls to see what the fuss is about.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #574 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are discussing the large bowls not the regular ones. I don't see the large (salad/super) bowls for $15.

Of course you don't. It's more than obvious we're referring to both bowls - the jumbo and regular - within the same series of posts, but thank you.

At B&H, it's 15 shipped for the regular bowls and 45 for the jumbo. At TTVJ, it's 20 plus shipping and 45 plus shipping for the jumbo. They also charge full retail for everything.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #576 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who are "they" and what were you expecting "them" to charge?

You already know the answers to these questions, but I'll humor you. TTVJ, and a comparable price to their competitors.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #578 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how large an operation do you think Todd is running?

Probably the size of a regular shop, not the size of a warehouse. Then again even regular shops discount their merchandise, while warehouses have a much, much wider range of products for sale.

Foam pads don't take up much space, I promise.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #579 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the size of a regular shop, not the size of a warehouse. Then again even regular shops discount their merchandise, while warehouses have a much, much wider range of products for sale.

Foam pads don't take up much space, I promise.

Foam pads are an after market replacement part. Not a product in the normal sense. It's very normal for full retail to be the price for that.

His products are discounted and competitively priced, and, in my experience, he's very good about matching other prices as well. A lot of the things he sells require specific advertised prices, but when added to your cart a new price is shown. A lot of smaller manufacturers (Grado for example) have these sort of requirements.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm happy to pay a little more for things like IEM tips or replacement pads from someone I trust and respect.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #580 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You already know the answers to these questions, but I'll humor you. TTVJ, and a comparable price to their competitors.

Chill out or your time here will be short.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #581 of 1,528
Not just that but remember that TTVJ is a Head-fi Sponsor and beyond donating to the site he also works hard with the community with regards to meets, special item releases etc.

It was Todd and no one else that fought diligently to get the flat pads released. If I recall the story correctly, he went to Grado Labs and requested that they be made and he was given the okay but that he would have to do all the leg work etc. He brought them to us because there was a demand and he took the initial risk.

He also was the one who managed to get the German Grado Distributor to agree to 2 units/month for the PS-1's when they were available.

B&H doubtfully knows what Head-fi is.

I'll take the $10 hit and support Todd.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #583 of 1,528
Just be more lax with it. Regardless I am loving my HF2s and I hope the bass as it might tighten up, doesn't lose quantity or quality. I enjoy a full bodied bass and especially the ability to not have it affect other freq ranges, makes me extremely happy to be an owner of these
popcorn.gif

On a side note: where has boomana gone? I haven't seen her comment on these since the first shipment went out. Curious how she thinks they have changed over time.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #584 of 1,528
Anyway, I am quite enjoying my HF-2, and I find that the bowls that come with the pair are much more comfortable than I remember back when I had some with a pair of SR-225s. I have not had a chance to try flats, but I plan to, as I tend to like them better for the music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back