The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jul 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #196 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you interested, here is a performance of one of the instrumental songs on the album:

YouTube - Punch Brothers Sometimes

This isn't my favorite track by any stretch, and it's still amazing. World class musicians playing world class music... right. I can't praise Punch Brothers enough, more people need to hear and buy this kind of music.

I like
popcorn.gif
...try the band "Nickel Creek" if you like the Punch Brothers.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #197 of 1,528
There are also other offshoots of Nickel Creek- Chris Thile (the mandolin player- not a fan of "Deceiver" though), Fiction Family and Sara Watkins (their vocalist). I have all of these and they are all worthy. Alison Krauss is certainly a great compliment to this genre.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #198 of 1,528
I've been a big Nickel Creek fan for years. Live show I went to 6 years ago was simply awesome. Great band. Was sad when they broke up, but Chris forming Punch Brothers makes up for it IMO.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #199 of 1,528
I was planning on doing an in-depth comparison between my DIY-woodied HF-1 (which I love) and the HF-2 that I was lucky enough to have on loan until mine arrives...

That's just not going to happen.

The HF-2 shares the HF-1's near-magical mids. But everything else strikes me as such an improvement over the HF-1 that I have no desire to take the HF-2 off my head. Sooooooooo, for those hoping for a true comparison are going to have to get it from someone else.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #200 of 1,528
I got it probably this weekend
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #201 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FListening rig for the above impressions: Lossless files from iMac feeding an ECD-1 or HeadRoom UDAC into a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite.

Thanks for taking the time to write your impressions. How do you feel about the Gilmore Lite? I've got the same amp and was wondering if you felt the GLite was holding the HF-2 back at all? Does the amp sufficiently scale with your more expensive sources? Thanks! Just trying to figure out a reasonable upgrade path with the Glite and HF-2.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #202 of 1,528
I am very happy with the Gilmore Lite, and I don't think it is holding back the HF2. I think the Gilmore Lite is plenty of amp for the HF2. But, I will need to confirm this once I have my B22 in-house.

As for sources, it seems to be scaling well.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #203 of 1,528
Thanks Monkey! Please do keep us updated on the B22. It looks like a beast of an amp.

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #204 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up the album Ill let you know when my HF-2 get here!
biggrin.gif
See who is faster between me and vinylspinner
biggrin.gif

Well I got the CD and obviously I have had my HF-2s for a couple of months so I guess I win.
biggrin.gif

I intend to listen to it today as I just listened a bit with the Omega IIs last night.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #207 of 1,528
frown.gif
vinyl ur evil, plus mine are in the mail and are F1s so your sound better all blurry styled
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #208 of 1,528
Okay, I am finally sitting down to listen to this new Punch Brothers CD on the HF-2s as requested. I listened a bit via the speakers and Omega II previously and find it to be a disc that could pose some issues with the amount they play with pacing and jumping back and forth between measures. The first song is one that hangs right on the edge as it seems to be just off the beat indicating a need for a headphone with good PRAT to hold it together. I think the HF-2s did well and portrayed the speed discontinuity across the song and between instruments very well and definitely hit on that edge of your seat discord they seem to be going for.

The Bass player on the disc is very entertaining and the bass is very good with the HF-2s. I have always been very impressed with the bass on the HF-2s and on The Blind Leading the Blind: First Movement the bass is big and tuneful with the HF-2s.

I am going to have to go to some Bill Frisell Ghost Town or the Willies after this as this reminds me of those two discs and I have not listened to them in too long.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #209 of 1,528
I have finally spent some time with my HF-2 today and so far I think that they are much better than the RS-1 (without the buttons) that I owned in the past.

It's the first time that I can wear a pair of Grado for more than 2 hours without any ear fatigue.
tongue_smile.gif

I think overall, it's a steal for the price !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back