The GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.300 D Professional, a hidden gem
Nov 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #31 of 54
I have the MB Quart version and I love it.  

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #32 of 54

Quote:
What do you mean by "honky"? 
confused.gif

Nasal, as singing through those round things where toiletpaper is wrapped around (can't find the correct word for it), or with your hands cupped in front of your mouth.
It's not dramatic, but in the long run, and especially with male voices, it's noticable.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #34 of 54
It's 300 Ohms. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #35 of 54
Finally some recognition for GMP's:
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/best-full-size-headphones.html

Though a commercial site, I know.......

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 54
Biggest commercial drawback for hifi is the looks of GMP 8.3, if they had some shiny parts people would definitely bite more on German Mastro.

Tiemen, last night I went trough GMP 8.3 threads and saw that you are using DT770 pads with it to improve comfort, how did the sound change?

Edit: Sorry it is all on the first page
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 54
Tiemen, do you still have the German maestro velour earpads? Or the original earpads of the MB Quart QP 90x? (I believe they are the same size)

Could you tell me if the DT770 or DT880 velour earpads (in new condition) are deeper than the German Maestro ones? Do they put your ears further away from the drivers?

The GMP earpads ear openings measure ~50mm, what is the size of the beyer pads openings?

I'm thinking about acquaring beyer DT880/990 velour earpads for my GMPs because those seem to have bigger ear openings than the GMP earpads, am I right?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #42 of 54

Quote:
Tiemen, do you still have the German maestro velour earpads? Or the original earpads of the MB Quart QP 90x? (I believe they are the same size)

Could you tell me if the DT770 or DT880 velour earpads (in new condition) are deeper than the German Maestro ones? Do they put your ears further away from the drivers?

The GMP earpads ear openings measure ~50mm, what is the size of the beyer pads openings?

I'm thinking about acquaring beyer DT880/990 velour earpads for my GMPs because those seem to have bigger ear openings than the GMP earpads, am I right?

Thanks!

I don't have the GMP velour ear pads anymore.
The original ear pads of the QP 90X are not the same, They are some sort of pleather, much  like the older DT880 ones.

The DT770 pads are surely deeper and wider than the GMP's, that's why I prefer them.
I measured the ear opening at 70mm.

The DT880/990 earpads are for open headphones, and IMO not suitable for the GMP 8.300.
You better go for the DT770 ear pads, they are after all for closed headphones. There's a difference between the DT770 and DT880/990 pads.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #43 of 54
70mm? That's great!

Actually I want the earpads for the open GMP400 so DT880/990 earpads should suit better than 770 ones.
Are the DT880/990 velour earpads the same size as DT770?
What are the differences between the 770 and 880 earpads besides the foam? filter?
I'm looking for a place where I can get the DT880/990 pads for cheap but they're kind of expensive, minimum I've found them was bit less than 60Eur a pair on thomann.de... :frowning2:

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #44 of 54
I'm thinking about modifying my GMP velour pads or the Beyer 880 ones, if I get them, because I find that the perforated material on the back of the GMP pads reflects to much high frequencies which makes them sound a bit to glary and brighter than I think they should...

I believe this might have a lot to do with the cronicle bass light sound that a lot of uses seem to find with them.

I've found out that placing a ring of ~4mm felt on the back of the pads balances the FR raising the volume of the lower frequencies - bass to mids, this makes the sound fuller and more balanced but retains the linear FR in these lower ranges and overall sonic characteristics of the headphone...

I know that Smeggy modifies the beyer velour pads, maybe I should ask him for some more knowledge...

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #45 of 54

Quote:
70mm? That's great!

Actually I want the earpads for the open GMP400 so DT880/990 earpads should suit better than 770 ones.
Are the DT880/990 velour earpads the same size as DT770?
What are the differences between the 770 and 880 earpads besides the foam? filter?
I'm looking for a place where I can get the DT880/990 pads for cheap but they're kind of expensive, minimum I've found them was bit less than 60Eur a pair on thomann.de... :frowning2:

The DT770 are stiffer, the inside foam is different from the DT880/990 ones. They islolate better. Besides that, they are the same, as is the size.

For the Netherlands, the DT880/990 pads from Thomann are 18,30 Euro, not counting the 8,- Euro shipping costs.
Not sure if it's a pair, or a single pad. Maybe you should mail Thomann for clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back