The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Mar 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #691 of 1,132
Quote:

For me is my iphone, or my Phonitor setup...
happy_face1.gif

Seems pretty portable and comfy 
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #696 of 1,132
With the .flac files I am rediscovering my music and my tastes, educating my ears... Thanks to my lovely and damn comfortable, flat sounding GMP 8.35D monitor. Good thing is, one of my classmates is in love with these hps too, I guess she is gonna order in a couple of months 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It is good that these people see something else than Beats bullsh*t. It makes me quite sad I see all these little kids with rich parents having the same setup, fruitphone+beats by dre headphones. I think one stop worse than this is listening music in the train with the default earbuds they give.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #697 of 1,132
Hi everyone!
I am looking for a nice closed cans over ears headphones for home use.

I tried Shure SRH940 & 840 but they are very heavy and uncomfortable - I Iike their sound.
I also liked Sennheiser HD600 but they are open - I was stunned by the sound.
I did not like the sound of Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO.
I tried AKG K550 but their bass is a little low and also they did not fit me - my head is not big enough for them.
I tried also SONY MDR-1R - they are too bass heavy.
I tried Sony MDR ZX300 but they are not over ear, the sound was ok.

Do German MAESTRO GMP 8.35 D sound like any of these ? Are they comfortable ?

People recommend Soundmagic HP100 - how do they compare ?

Will you recommend them for normal audio listening (Adele, Evanescence, To monster and Man, Queen, ... ) ? Or you will recommend another one ?

Best regards,
Stefan

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #698 of 1,132
Quote:
Hi everyone!
I am looking for a nice closed cans over ears headphones for home use.

I tried Shure SRH940 & 840 but they are very heavy and uncomfortable - I Iike their sound.
I also liked Sennheiser HD600 but they are open - I was stunned by the sound.
I did not like the sound of Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO.
I tried AKG K550 but their bass is a little low and also they did not fit me - my head is not big enough for them.
I tried also SONY MDR-1R - they are too bass heavy.
I tried Sony MDR ZX300 but they are not over ear, the sound was ok.

Do German MAESTRO GMP 8.35 D sound like any of these ? Are they comfortable ?

People recommend Soundmagic HP100 - how do they compare ?

Will you recommend them for normal audio listening (Adele, Evanescence, To monster and Man, Queen, ... ) ? Or you will recommend another one ?

Best regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Shure 940 and 840 are direct rivals of 8.35D Monitor, however their build quality and fit just can't match with 8.35D. I also demoed them before buying GM's, liked their sound but the cans were not comfortable. Also K550 is a nice competitor too but their fit is not good enough, because of the unproper fit, you lose from comfort and isolation/leaking.

The other cans you mentioned is absolutely in other league than GM 8.35D. What I understand from your likings, GMP 8.35D would fit perfectly to your needs. I would suggest you to read Acix's ultimate review about the cans too, which is highly detailed (EDIT: Sorry I think you already read it, I forgot that we were in this thread). I also listen to Adele and Queen (FLAC) and the cans perform absolutely fantastic, I can almost swear that Freddie Mercury didn't die.

You shouldn't get any problem with build quality and finishing. Also their customer service is one of the best I ever experienced. I little hint for you, the default stock pads may not be too comfortable if you happen to have a bigger ears. The hole in the pad is 'relativaly' small and sometimes touch to the ears which causes a little discomfort. I got oval pads from Thomas, which is comfortable like hell. I literally wear them over 7 - 8 hours without a problem. Sometimes they can get a little warm but that's normal I guess. With the new oval pads you may lose a little bit from the isolation but you consider it for home listening it shouldn't be a problem. They are great cans with neutral sounding, I found them quite all rounder but they absolutely shining in electronic music. In this price range, I highly doubt you can get a better one. You can get different one but what I understand, they wouldn't fit your needs.

I highly recommend them, especially with the oval pads for home use. 1 more advantage is, you don't need an AMP to make them show their best. They always perform very well.

I hope this might help and good luck on your quest to find your headphone, but if you ask me, you already found it. If you purchase, don't forget that you can also change the cable.

If you provide them a single sided cable, they can assembly it to the headphone for you. Also in stock cables you can choose between straight or coiled type and you can ask for special length too. I suggest for portable use, straight cord around 1 or 1.2 meter is awesome. However you look for home use, I suggest you to get the default cable which is coiled and if I am not mistaking 1.2 or 1.5 meter long.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #700 of 1,132
Quote:
Good news, I spoke with Thomas and they have just introduced a mobile version of GMP 8.35 D, which has a 1.2m straight cable. The link is here.

After selling it to me like this and a friend of mine from Turkey, it is better to mention in it the list too of course. Most people don't know actually they can get a cable and jack modification. I think it is a good move to get more people's interest.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #701 of 1,132
BTW, if you thought the Beyerdinamics velour pads was comfy, wait till you try Brainwavz. I don't want to take these babies off even when there's no music on 
atsmile.gif

I didn't do any back to back listening, but off the bat they're tighter than the Beyers and still very non-fatiguing. The cups are so deep that at first I thought of trying to somehow flatten the front (face) part of the pads. But then I figured there's enough bass as they are.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #702 of 1,132
Quote:
BTW, if you thought the Beyerdinamics velour pads was comfy, wait till you try Brainwavz. I don't want to take these babies off even when there's no music on 
atsmile.gif

I didn't do any back to back listening, but off the bat they're tighter than the Beyers and still very non-fatiguing. The cups are so deep that at first I thought of trying to somehow flatten the front (face) part of the pads. But then I figured there's enough bass as they are.

Would you mind posting some photos of those babies?

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #704 of 1,132
So, I contacted german maestro through the main website inquiring about ordering a 8.35D that had a 3m straight cable and straight multi-jack. From both new and old information, some of it in this thread, even on the previous page, I understood that this wouldn't be an issue. However, contrary to this I was told, "The information that we can provide each customized cable configuration isn't correct". I'm wondering if I'm simply contacting the wrong people at German-Maestro or if the information being provided in this thread is out-of-date, and a change in policy has taken effect at GM. I was really looking forward to getting 8.35Ds, but the coiled cable and right-angle jack would be quite problematic to use.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #705 of 1,132
Quote:
So, I contacted german maestro through the main website inquiring about ordering a 8.35D that had a 3m straight cable and straight multi-jack. From both new and old information, some of it in this thread, even on the previous page, I understood that this wouldn't be an issue. However, contrary to this I was told, "The information that we can provide each customized cable configuration isn't correct". I'm wondering if I'm simply contacting the wrong people at German-Maestro or if the information being provided in this thread is out-of-date, and a change in policy has taken effect at GM. I was really looking forward to getting 8.35Ds, but the coiled cable and right-angle jack would be quite problematic to use.

I was in contact with Thomas all the time about my purchase and mods. He was the most helpful man I ever saw. I am giving his email to you buddy, try to talk with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back