The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #3,722 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus7247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm im thinking of making my own silver cables =D

Any idea where i can get the connectors for the FreQ Show ? Please give me a pm on where i can get it thanks !

You might be better off trying to get one from Germania. You can't order the connectors anywhere. They are manufactured that way. They aren't something that is a plug you can solder to (like a mini or RCA plug). Germania has developed a technique to mold them and has produced a few cables. I don't want to speak for her since she hasn't posted about them recently (that I have seen), but she was making them for sale.

Otherwise, you can mold some. Search her posts, and you'll find where she discusses her technique. You need some heavy gauge wire (can't recall the gauge, it's in her posts) and then you solder it to your wire, then mold around it to make a conncetor. Basically, you're just holding the pins in the proper spacing. In theory, you could just make a couple pins, solder wires to them and plug it in. It wouldn't be too sturdy or look great, but it would make sound :p

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #3,724 of 3,960
Gah! I still love my FreQ Shows - more than the Stax stuff I recently got. I love the bass on my FreQs, so much impact, tightness, and fluffiness! It's amazing to watch TV with them. I totally enjoy commercials because there's a lot of background music. I hope they don't break because the FreQ company is closed!

Did anyone get LiveWires and think they're better than Music Maker FreQ Shows? I think the FreQs are just a little bit recessed in the highs, but with some EQ, I can get the highs that I want.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #3,725 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone get LiveWires and think they're better than Music Maker FreQ Shows? I think the FreQs are just a little bit recessed in the highs, but with some EQ, I can get the highs that I want.

Me.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #3,726 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me.

I already know you do, but I need some other opinions
biggrin.gif
After all, we may have different musical tastes.

I probably wouldn't get the LWs unless it has no artificial harshness in the 5k-8khz region (live pianos have a little bit of harshness in that region depending on the acoustics), has the same bass quality and quantity as the FreQs, and is less recessed in the highs. I am pretty thoroughly satisfied, so I can't see myself upgrading for small changes.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #3,727 of 3,960
Quote:

Gah! I still love my FreQ Shows - more than the Stax stuff I recently got. I love the bass on my FreQs, so much impact, tightness, and fluffiness! It's amazing to watch TV with them. I totally enjoy commercials because there's a lot of background music. I hope they don't break because the FreQ company is closed!

If they do break, they will still repair it for you. They wont be taking new orders but current customers are still covered =)

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #3,728 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus7247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they do break, they will still repair it for you. They wont be taking new orders but current customers are still covered =)

that is if they decide to read your email.

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #3,729 of 3,960
Quote:

I already know you do, but I need some other opinions
biggrin.gif
After all, we may have different musical tastes.

I probably wouldn't get the LWs unless it has no artificial harshness in the 5k-8khz region (live pianos have a little bit of harshness in that region depending on the acoustics), has the same bass quality and quantity as the FreQs, and is less recessed in the highs. I am pretty thoroughly satisfied, so I can't see myself upgrading for small changes.

If it's any consolation, while I like the LW better the only universal fit IEM I have liked better than Freq Show MM is my Klipsch Image X10 with UM-56 custom tip from Westone.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #3,733 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashrahh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey just asking!!!

are the UE customs cables compatible with the freQshows??

thanks man!

The Westone replacement cables are, but I'm unsure about the UE ones.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #3,735 of 3,960
My replacement Freqs arrived yesterday, and I'm pretty damn happy.

It is the colour combo I requested.

The fit is much better than my previous pair; first I thought it may be too loose, but after a while it creates a nice suction
smily_headphones1.gif
Might put a single layer of nail polish in there though cos I do like it tight.

As noted somewhere before, the ear canals are shorter than the previous pair I had, but the sound is still all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back