The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jul 24, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #3,091 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachkarl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I got my molds done today, and apparently I have tiny ear canals. The audiologist said that they should be deep enough. I used the UE Instructions (kind of). She said cotton would be painful, so I went with foam, and I used my index and middle finger for my biting block. Those that have a good fit, do these look alright. She said she would do them again if they were not deep or full enough.

She tried to sell me on Westone (as you can see on the box), but when I showed her the Freq site, she agreed that I should go with the much lower price at freqonline.com

Sense it seems as if you cannot get color previews, I think I will go with clear. Once upon a time people said there were bubbles. Is that still the case?

I think if you look closely, there will be some imperfections and very few air bubbles. If you want a uniform looking IEM, you should get a solid color.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #3,092 of 3,960
Quote:

So I got my molds done today, and apparently I have tiny ear canals. The audiologist said that they should be deep enough. I used the UE Instructions (kind of). She said cotton would be painful, so I went with foam, and I used my index and middle finger for my biting block. Those that have a good fit, do these look alright. She said she would do them again if they were not deep or full enough.

She tried to sell me on Westone (as you can see on the box), but when I showed her the Freq site, she agreed that I should go with the much lower price at freqonline.com

Sense it seems as if you cannot get color previews, I think I will go with clear. Once upon a time people said there were bubbles. Is that still the case?

They look fine, but there isn't much you can tell by looking at the impressions. More valuable information is how they were made. If you put your fingers between your front teeth before the silicon was injected, and then kept them there until the impressions were removed, you should be fine. That's exactly what my bite block was with my 2nd set of impressions, and I have an almost perfect fit this time.

Sending customs back and forth for fit adjustments IS a p.i.t.a. I'm not going to send these back, I'm going to make an appointment with my audiologist and have her look at them. I totally agree with Sovkiller that it is difficult (impossible?) to correct fit problems via mail. Sure, they have lots of experience and know how to translate the "it does xxx when I move my ear/mouth like xxx" comments into corrective actions, but there is still some element of guessing involved. I disagree though that universal owners should stay there. Customs are worth the time/effort/money IMHO.

I love my FreqShows.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #3,093 of 3,960
Thanks for the tips powertoold and Hayduke.

I was thinking about getting the Tour De Freqs because I had to pay $20 for the impressions, $30 for custom artwork, and shipping costs on top of that. However, it seems like not many people have the dual drivers, so I may just opt for the Freq Shows. Is it worth the extra investment for an extra driver? I am a singer using these as stage monitors and would like them to replace my everyday Shure universal monitors for use with my mp3 player.

I want something discreet, so I was looking at clear and skin toned. I talked to someone at Freq, and he said they can pretty much make any color and that he would send me a skin tone swatch to match, well, me I guess.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #3,094 of 3,960
Quote:

Thanks for the tips powertoold and Hayduke.

I was thinking about getting the Tour De Freqs because I had to pay $20 for the impressions, $30 for custom artwork, and shipping costs on top of that. However, it seems like not many people have the dual drivers, so I may just opt for the Freq Shows. Is it worth the extra investment for an extra driver? I am a singer using these as stage monitors and would like them to replace my everyday Shure universal monitors for use with my mp3 player.

I want something discreet, so I was looking at clear and skin toned. I talked to someone at Freq, and he said they can pretty much make any color and that he would send me a skin tone swatch to match, well, me I guess.

You're welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't say how much better the triple driver is vs the dual driver. It seems like the difference is usually clarity in the different ranges (ie clearer treble, mid, bass). This makes sense as you're allowing each driver to reproduce a smaller range of the spectrum. From what I've read, the biggest audible difference between the UE10 and UE11 (triple vs quad) is better highs. This may not be a good comparison since they are triple and quad drivers, but it is one that I can understand.

I chose triple drivers based more on my experience with speakers. Component speaker systems always sound better then one speaker trying to reproduce the entire spectrum. And it appears that the more you break up that spectrum, the better the SQ. Sure there are other tuning details like the crossover configuration and the drivers ability to reproduce certain frequencies, but I still hold the belief that splitting up the spectrum into more drivers is better then fewer drivers.

Maybe you could search around for some UE comparisons. They make a dual driver custom as well. Someone has probably tried both and can say how much of a difference there is between the triple and dual.

One last thing to consider. There are folks on this thread that have both Livewires(dual driver) and FreqShows(triple driver), and they didn't hear a difference in SQ. The difference was more in the sound signatures rather then "one is better then the other".

Well I just read this and not only did I not really answer your question, I probably made it worse :p Sorry about that hehe

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #3,095 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the UE Triple.Fi's (and the Super.Fi Pro, and the Shure SE530), and I feel that my SuperFreQs (MM x-over) sound close to the UE Triple.Fi's, but I like the sound/balance of the FreQs more than the UE, let alone the HUGE comfort difference between universals and true customs
wink.gif

That is very interesting. So when you say they come close to the triples, do you mean they are not quite there in terms of treble? How is bass, sound stage, and separation compared to triples? Did you like triples more or SE530?

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #3,096 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, treble extension and clarity of the UE11 is only rivaled by the that of the TripleFi10, so if you are looking for a good "wall of sound" IEM with excellent treble and powerful bass, there is only the UE11.

The FreQShow have a decent treble and good bass, but it doesn't measure up in any way to the UE11's. Go for broke!
tongue.gif

Eye,

If you are still on this thread, what is your opinion between FreQShow and Triple.fi with good fit? Overall impression of SQ between the two.

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #3,097 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All are translucent: black faceplates, green right, yellow left.

Yep ^
wink.gif

This is my 3rd set of FreQs. My SuperFreqs and the 1st FreqShows were made from the same impressions, and neither fit great. My new FreqShows are made from open mouth impressions, and they fit great.

From my experience, the impressions make all the difference. Make sure you do them open mouth. A bite block is a good idea, but I just used 2 fingers. Ask the audiologist to go passed the 2nd bend in the ear canal. If your impressions go deep, your FreQs can do deeper into the canal improving isolation/seal.

Doing your impressions open mouth makes them larger, so when your mouth is closed, your ear canal will constrict around the headphones creating a nice tight seal. I hear a lot of folks saying they think it would be uncomfortable with the hard acrylic material, but they are never speaking from actual experience. They are not uncomfortable at all. They practically disappear in your ears. While the IEM is hard, your ear tissues are soft and will conform around them.

It's probably been covered but so many posts. Since you have owned both, do you recommend FreQshow or SuperFreq and which crossover?

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #3,098 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've worn universals for most of the time I've been on HF and while they were tolerable, they were no where as comfortable as my FreQShows. It's not even close. I get none of the wearing fatigue with these that I used to get with any universal I've owned before. The sq is better, imo than any of the universals I've had. I've used them in a HR Millet Hybrid and they scaled up nicely. I'm looking forward to trying them in my B22. I could not be happier with my decision to buy my FreQs.

Tyrion, being the moderator and recommending FreQs is quite weighty to us readers. What model would you recommend with which cross-over?

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #3,099 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of all of the universals that I tried, the TF10 was also my favorite, and also the most uncomfortable. The triple driver FreQs with the MM crossover sound better and move accurate than the TF10's ever did
wink.gif

WQ, I currently own Triple.fi's and you are talking me down that slippery slope. They really sound better and more accurate?

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #3,100 of 3,960
You're going to have to learn to multi-quote, RT!

wink.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3,101 of 3,960
Finally, I got my FreqShow (w/ MM xover) after 2 months waiting (long story). The fit/seal is pretty good, I can strongly feel the sucktion (is that too tight?)

Anyway, I have couple questions here.
1. does any one feel the bass is a little over powering or just right? (did the seal test posted by other user, 50Hz and 500Hz sound the same level to me, and the 50Hz sounds much quiter compare to 500Hz on my sf5pro.)
2. I saw there is sort of filter in the tube of the bigger driver (assume it is the bass driver) both side, but didn't see anyone else mentioned it. Is that the reason cause overpowered bass or my tight fit did?
3. treble seems a little rolled off too, maybe also caused by strong bass?
4. It has really high sensitivity, background hiss is easily auditable, how about your MM FreqShow?

Thanks, will post pics when I got chance to get in touch with my camera.

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #3,102 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably been covered but so many posts. Since you have owned both, do you recommend FreQshow or SuperFreq and which crossover?

I prefer the MM xover.

I had a nice post to respond, but I closed Firefox without submitting. oops
frown.gif

oh well. short version:
SuperFreqs are great! So are FreqShows. The difference between the 2 sound signatures is very subtle. I do prefer the MM xover, but I still liked the ML xover in my SuperFreqs too. You won't be disappointed with either.

I upgraded to FreqShows mostly for the detachable cable. Todd recommended the ML xover, but based on the early reviews coming in of the new MM line, I wanted to hear the new xover. I prefer a flat or nuetral signature and I think the MM line does this a little better. Todd also said it would only be $40 to swap it, so I was willing to take the chance. I'm happy with the choice I made.

If detachable cables aren't important to you, then SuperFreqs are fine, but given a choice, I would take the MM xover every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by small.solar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, I got my FreqShow (w/ MM xover) after 2 months waiting (long story). The fit/seal is pretty good, I can strongly feel the sucktion (is that too tight?)

1. does any one feel the bass is a little over powering or just right? (did the seal test posted by other user, 50Hz and 500Hz sound the same level to me, and the 50Hz sounds much quiter compare to 500Hz on my sf5pro.)
2. I saw there is sort of filter in the tube of the bigger driver (assume it is the bass driver) both side, but didn't see anyone else mentioned it. Is that the reason cause overpowered bass or my tight fit did?
4. It has really high sensitivity, background hiss is easily auditable, how about your MM FreqShow?

1. I did at first, but now that I've had them for 10 days or so, I've changed my mind. I think the whole spectrum is well represented and balanced.
2. I didn't see that in mine. They are in my head right now, so I'll look later
wink.gif

3. Others have felt the same way. I'm not sure if I agree. I need to spend some time with my Senns again for comparison. I've been only listening to my FreqShows since I got them.
4. Yes, they are very sensitive. I'm lucky, I don't hear any hiss on my iPods or out of the PC. My sources aren't great, so I guess I'm really lucky :p Many others hear it though. They are also very good at revealing crappy recordings.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3,103 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by small.solar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rolled off is different than recessed, and no, I don't think it's rolled off (compared to other IEMs) - maybe slightly recessed. If it needs to be there, it'll be there
smily_headphones1.gif
You can try listening to some new jazz recordings with cymbals.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #3,104 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and dire, urs is braided ...

so what is HPM talking about?
"its very much untwistable in the braided version"

Yeah, mine are braided...

here's what happens - sometimes when unwinding them from around my player some strands will be separated out from the rest. However, this has shown to be no big problem as a little jiggling gets them to settle (mostly) back in place. I have one or 2 sections that aren't quite as tightly wound...

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #3,105 of 3,960
I see I see...

ok cos I never loop them around my player for storage... always back in the hardcase so i guess it'd be less prone to aggresive handling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back