The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 24, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #2,701 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by zarutobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know too.

and someone can tell me about "How to order FreqShow" step by step?

Thanks.

Get impressions done by an audiologist first, then place the order with your options ... it is all in their web site.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #2,702 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Freq Show have returned a day earlier than expected, after sending them in for a re-fit and tuneup. I will write up more after I listen and compare them to my Livewires and other IEM over a longer period of time. For my initial review of the Freq Show, see this link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/f...ml#post4252937

THE PROBLEM: The original problems were poor fit (loose) and a roaring and ringing resonance in the ear canal in the 250-1000Hz frequency range. Todd and I discussed the possibility of needing a modified cross-over IF they could not find anything wrong with mine, but they did find a wiring problem; so I assume I still have the MM crossover just without the defects (hard to justify a custom x-over for the 4-5 people with my type of problem). I spent 24 minutes on hold on my cell phone today, and couldn't get into Todd's voice mail, so I sent him an email instead to have him call me to discuss what they found.

FIT: I included physical measurements that I took with calipers of my Livewires when I sent these back, to give them a point of reference for what does fit me. The cross-section of the ear canal portion of the Livewires that fit perfectly were 10x13 mm on the left and 9.3x11.8 mm on the right - while the loose Freq Shows were smaller at 8.8x12.5 mm on the left and 8.8x11 mm on the right.

Now the fit is much better, and I really have to work up a sweat contorting my face into weird positions to barely break the seal. The fit is very slightly looser than my primary set of Livewires and slightly tighter than my spare set of Livewires. The isolation seems to be within 1-2db of isolating as well as the Livewires, which is not bad.

SOUND: The sound is improved, but also different. The roaring and ringing that I heard with certain songs and instruments is 80-90% better and listenable now, and on some songs there is no problem at all.

The sound doesn't change much with pressing on them, with maybe a tiny bit more treble volume when pushed in (1-2db) but no increase in treble extension, which seems a little more rolled off above 12Khz than the Livewires (or my old Triple.fi 10 Pro). However, the treble reaches up high enough to please, but it is missing that last bit of shimmering highs that gives them a slight veil instead of transparency. Treble detail is good, so not that kind of veil - they remind me more of my APureSound or Jenna Labs re-cabled HD600 than my APS re-cabled Grado RS-1 (which would be my Livewires).

The mids remain rich, despite the perceived decrease in midrange volume, and they don't seem to be as overly forward as before. I have not been able to fully assess soundstage yet, but I will in time. The bass seems the same as before - present and accounted for, but not quite as punchy as the Livewires or Q-Jays or Super.fi 5 Pro or Denon C700 (it's more like the SE310 bass, and is much better than an ER6i or E4c).

COMPARISONS: I have only done some limited comparisons since I got them back this afternoon. At this point I would say that compared with my Livewires, the Freq Show have a slightly more relaxed or laid back sound, and slightly less transparent sound. They are still quick like other balanced armatures, so relaxed or laid back does not mean slow. I might even like them better than my Q-Jays (similar treble) or Super.fi 5 Pro or Denon C700, but not quite as much as the Livewires. I will need to spend several hours over the next few days to get a good feel for comparisons between all of these, so this is not my final word on the matter.

My Livewires have the strong bass and sparkly treble of the Triple.fi 10 pro with a less colored midbass/low-mids than Triple.fi 10 Pro, which made me sell the Triple.fi and keep the LW after I did several direct comparisons.

The Freq Show seem to have less bass and treble energy than Livewires (or Triple.fi 10 pro), but at least they don't have the irritating midbass peak or coloration of the Triple.fi's that I used to own. I can live with the Freq Show less sparkly treble easier than I can stand the midbass/lower mid coloration or fit of the Triple.fi that I experienced. If I had to choose between the Triple.fi 10 Pro (or SE530) and Freq Show, I pick the Freq for the same price (I can easily EQ the treble up 2-3 db).

But the LW are $100 less and yet manage to deliver just a little bit more of what I expect in an IEM, without needing EQ. So, until I do more comparisons I have to leave the Livewires as my #1 with the Freq Show close behind the LW in the #2 spot. But, I find them both more enjoyable than most of my universal IEM so far (current or sold). I will post an update soon with more direct comparisons with my other IEM, and with details about what I hear later.

Glad to hear that these fit better and sound better than the initial set. Also, thanks much for your comparison with the LW's
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #2,703 of 3,960
Do you guys think it is the fit and other issues associated with custom's that keeps UE and Westone's custom iem price up.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2,704 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think it is the fit and other issues associated with custom's that keeps UE and Westone's custom iem price up.

Possibly, but remember that market economics also come into play. Without enough competition, as long as the demand is there, the price will rise until an equilibrium point is found. Now that UE and Westone have more competition, they will for sure see fewer orders now that LV, FreQs and others are starting to take some orders from them. Will UE/Westone lower their prices as a result? Time will tell, but I suspect that nothing will happen right away as last I heard UE still had a LONG waiting line for folks wanting their UE10/11, even at $1000 or so
wink.gif

The good news is that "we" now have more viable alternatives
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #2,705 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, that's definitely part of the cost. Making custom IEMs is very labor intensive, and considering labor costs $20-30 an hour, I'm guessing each custom IEM requires at least $100 of labor in terms of customer service, construction, shipping, accounting, etc.

With universal IEMs, you pretty much never need to hear from the customer unless there is a problem. With customs, the customer wants specific information, to customize their IEMs, get upgrades on the build process, and this is not including any fit problems
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #2,706 of 3,960
do any of the companies actually use all automated process for making their customs? or do most use extensive manual labour?

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #2,707 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do any of the companies actually use all automated process for making their customs? or do most use extensive manual labour?

I think they all use extensive manual labor if UE does, and they do
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2,708 of 3,960
mmm i see i see.. =)

the UE faceplates do look very good.. totally flat.. whereas the freq faceplates aren't totally consistent sometimes...

like i can feel the grooves of my artwork on a small part of the shell..

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2,709 of 3,960
Update:

I'm still waiting to hear back from FreQ/Asylum/Todd as to whether or not I can drive over to Tampa to get my impressions made. I ended up calling today and spoke to a very polite girl in the office who was going to send Todd an email and he should get back to me after his meeting. Honestly, if I can't drive out to Tampa and get the impressions made at the source, I'll probably put this purchase off for another year or two. I just don't like dealing with intermediary steps (that cost extra money and may or may not to their job correctly and may wind up costing me extra money when they don't do their job correctly or to the exacting standards the primary party requires) when dealing with custom tools.

Here's to hoping...
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:
Looks like it'll be a month if I want to go directly to Todd to have the impressions done. FreQ is growing incredibly fast and he's going to be flying in and out of town for the next month. That I can definitely appreciate! I'm going to just wait the month (or however long) and have Todd do the impressions when he can.

Thanks for all the information guys.

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #2,710 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With universal IEMs, you pretty much never need to hear from the customer unless there is a problem. With customs, the customer wants specific information, to customize their IEMs, get upgrades on the build process, and this is not including any fit problems
biggrin.gif

And what is amazing is that you can get great custom IEM's such as LW's and FreQs for LESS than UE and Shure charge for their universals!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back