The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #2,686 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weee! My Freq have left Tampa! They we're shipped today and I've already received the e-mail with tracking number. Now all I have to do is press refresh a couple of hundred times!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Where are they shipping to? Is it a DHL number?

Mine made it to Flagstaff, AZ in 2 days. Shipped Tues and I got 'em Thurs.

Of course, it's Monday now and I just shipped them back to Florida
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #2,689 of 3,960
My Freq Show have returned a day earlier than expected, after sending them in for a re-fit and tuneup. I will write up more after I listen and compare them to my Livewires and other IEM over a longer period of time. For my initial review of the Freq Show, see this link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/f...ml#post4252937

THE PROBLEM: The original problems were poor fit (loose) and a roaring and ringing resonance in the ear canal in the 250-1000Hz frequency range. Todd and I discussed the possibility of needing a modified cross-over IF they could not find anything wrong with mine, but they did find a wiring problem; so I assume I still have the MM crossover just without the defects (hard to justify a custom x-over for the 4-5 people with my type of problem). I spent 24 minutes on hold on my cell phone today, and couldn't get into Todd's voice mail, so I sent him an email instead to have him call me to discuss what they found.

FIT: I included physical measurements that I took with calipers of my Livewires when I sent these back, to give them a point of reference for what does fit me. The cross-section of the ear canal portion of the Livewires that fit perfectly were 10x13 mm on the left and 9.3x11.8 mm on the right - while the loose Freq Shows were smaller at 8.8x12.5 mm on the left and 8.8x11 mm on the right.

Now the fit is much better, and I really have to work up a sweat contorting my face into weird positions to barely break the seal. The fit is very slightly looser than my primary set of Livewires and slightly tighter than my spare set of Livewires. The isolation seems to be within 1-2db of isolating as well as the Livewires, which is not bad.

SOUND: The sound is improved, but also different. The roaring and ringing that I heard with certain songs and instruments is 80-90% better and listenable now, and on some songs there is no problem at all.

The sound doesn't change much with pressing on them, with maybe a tiny bit more treble volume when pushed in (1-2db) but no increase in treble extension, which seems a little more rolled off above 12Khz than the Livewires (or my old Triple.fi 10 Pro). However, the treble reaches up high enough to please, but it is missing that last bit of shimmering highs that gives them a slight veil instead of transparency. Treble detail is good, so not that kind of veil - they remind me more of my APureSound or Jenna Labs re-cabled HD600 than my APS re-cabled Grado RS-1 (which would be my Livewires).

The mids remain rich, despite the perceived decrease in midrange volume, and they don't seem to be as overly forward as before. I have not been able to fully assess soundstage yet, but I will in time. The bass seems the same as before - present and accounted for, but not quite as punchy as the Livewires or Q-Jays or Super.fi 5 Pro or Denon C700 (it's more like the SE310 bass, and is much better than an ER6i or E4c).

COMPARISONS: I have only done some limited comparisons since I got them back this afternoon. At this point I would say that compared with my Livewires, the Freq Show have a slightly more relaxed or laid back sound, and slightly less transparent sound. They are still quick like other balanced armatures, so relaxed or laid back does not mean slow. I might even like them better than my Q-Jays (similar treble) or Super.fi 5 Pro or Denon C700, but not quite as much as the Livewires. I will need to spend several hours over the next few days to get a good feel for comparisons between all of these, so this is not my final word on the matter.

My Livewires have the strong bass and sparkly treble of the Triple.fi 10 pro with a less colored midbass/low-mids than Triple.fi 10 Pro, which made me sell the Triple.fi and keep the LW after I did several direct comparisons.

The Freq Show seem to have less bass and treble energy than Livewires (or Triple.fi 10 pro), but at least they don't have the irritating midbass peak or coloration of the Triple.fi's that I used to own. I can live with the Freq Show less sparkly treble easier than I can stand the midbass/lower mid coloration or fit of the Triple.fi that I experienced. If I had to choose between the Triple.fi 10 Pro (or SE530) and Freq Show, I pick the Freq for the same price (I can easily EQ the treble up 2-3 db).

But the LW are $100 less and yet manage to deliver just a little bit more of what I expect in an IEM, without needing EQ. So, until I do more comparisons I have to leave the Livewires as my #1 with the Freq Show close behind the LW in the #2 spot. But, I find them both more enjoyable than most of my universal IEM so far (current or sold). I will post an update soon with more direct comparisons with my other IEM, and with details about what I hear later.

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #2,690 of 3,960
After 2 months I finally received my superfreqs.

2605916221_082ed828a2_o.jpg

2605916083_9e9d70b877_o.jpg

The Freqs did a great job on my set. Both the fit and custom artwork turned out great. The build quality has greatly improved since last year. I wish they would have used yellow for the artwork but I really can't fault the Freqs for that since I didn't specify the color.

With my limited time with the Superfreqs I can say that the sound sig fits my taste. Not too aggressive highs, slightly forward midrange and a bottom end that not too overpowering but certainly there. I don't have much experience with IEMs & earbuds but I can say with certainty that the Superfreqs>>>superfr. 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ibuds. Overall a great value(especially if you got it before the price increase)

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #2,691 of 3,960
I'm really thinking about FreQ's, but I'm a little afraid of fit issues. It seems like FreQ is not getting the size right for a lot of people on the first try. Is this common with all the custom IEMS or is FreQ a little worse at sizing IEMS than the others? Also, how long after you send in your impressions do you get them in the mail? Finally, is it worth getting quality IEMS for a regular iPod or maybe iPod -> mini3 ->FreQ?

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2,693 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really thinking about FreQ's, but I'm a little afraid of fit issues. It seems like FreQ is not getting the size right for a lot of people on the first try. Is this common with all the custom IEMS or is FreQ a little worse at sizing IEMS than the others? Also, how long after you send in your impressions do you get them in the mail? Finally, is it worth getting quality IEMS for a regular iPod or maybe iPod -> mini3 ->FreQ?

hmmm, im not complaining. im one of the the lucky few who got a good fit right out of the box..

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #2,695 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some people, it seems that only the FreQs cause the resonance, but for me, it happens with every IEM (but the very least with my modified FreQs)
biggrin.gif
I guess I'm just a special case.

One more data point. I listened to Etymotic ER-4 IEMs at the Sydney meet on the weekend and didn't notice the resonance issue. I also listened to Triple.fi 10s but I had to hold them in place against my ear as my canals are too small to fit them in. Again I didn't notice the resonance issue. This suggests it's not just my ears resonating somehow with IEMs, it may be something specific about this build of the SuperFreqs.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #2,696 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does it take to return after u guys sent an ear impression?

Thanks

I want to know too.

and someone can tell me about "How to order FreqShow" step by step?

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #2,697 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does it take to return after u guys sent an ear impression?

Thanks

I want to know too.

and someone can tell me about "How to order FreqShow" step by step?

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #2,698 of 3,960
powertoold, i think you need to edit the first page...

these are pictures of my freqs...

P1050588.jpg

mine are not the blue and red one's..

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #2,699 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 2 months I finally received my superfreqs.

(photos removed)

The Freqs did a great job on my set. Both the fit and custom artwork turned out great. The build quality has greatly improved since last year. I wish they would have used yellow for the artwork but I really can't fault the Freqs for that since I didn't specify the color.

With my limited time with the Superfreqs I can say that the sound sig fits my taste. Not too aggressive highs, slightly forward midrange and a bottom end that not too overpowering but certainly there. I don't have much experience with IEMs & earbuds but I can say with certainty that the Superfreqs>>>superfr. 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ibuds. Overall a great value(especially if you got it before the price increase)

Those look GREAT!

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #2,700 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you really go and read the threads for "any" custom IEM (LiveWires, FreQs, UE10, UE11, etc.) you will find that fit issues are unfortunately common - there is no way to guarantee perfect fit from "any" vendor. So yes, going into these custom IEM's might involve a re-fit: best is to be mentally prepared for it, and consider yourself lucky if you don't need it
wink.gif

Time from order to receiving them varies on where you live, what options you got, etc., but lets say 1-2 weeks on average.

Yes, the FreQs (LW's, UE 10/11) offer significantly better sound quality than your free ibuds (or whatever came with your digital music player) - but they will also reveal poor recordings as well, so you will find yourself wanting/liking your higher bit rate MP3's (or FLAC format). I play my music with a high-performance mini^3 and highly recommend it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back