The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 22, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #2,641 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by screambitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm, i think i may have solved the fit issue.. i have not been pushing my customs deep enough...
now the fit very nicely and my right side has mild discomfort, the type you will get used to and eventually won't bother you...

Yep, the IEM's need to be fully inserted to match the intended shape of your ears. As I am inserting (rotating) my FreQs into position, it does not feel good until they "go" in position - then they almost disappear and there is no more discomfort. The tighter the fit, the more work to get them in/out - this is where a tiny amount of Oto-ease helps so much. I found that the UE instructions about "rotating" them in/out are in fact the most comfortable way to get them in/out my ears.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #2,642 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by screambitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also bought a protective case for my FreQ's.
Photo195.jpg

Thanks to Sovkiller I ordered one last night
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #2,643 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could someone post a pic of the freq carry case?, im juggling between the westone case, a pelican i1030 or just using my old UE metal case

It is not really a "case", more like a pouch:
img_4984.jpg

img_4986.jpg

img_4987.jpg

Definitely "not" the way to travel with them as often as I do. I am now keeping them in that pouch, but inside that old RIO semi-hard case, but just ordered the hard Pelican case as that will definitely offer best protection while on planes, hotels, etc.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #2,644 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's only hit and miss when they are trying to help you "blind". I'm certain if they could look at you while you insert them, they could fix them perfectly the first time.

Well said - if we were doing this at their manufacturing facility/lab, this would go much quicker. My audiologist says she does small corrections for hearing aids right in her office - and of course, she has immediate feedback from the user about what works and what does not. She told me several times that the difference between a perfect fit and a painful one are "very" small - that is why a good mold is key.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #2,645 of 3,960
wonder if there're audiologists who have a 100% record for good moulds.. i'm sure u'd go looking for those instead.. even if the cost was slightly more...

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #2,646 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wonder if there're audiologists who have a 100% record for good moulds.. i'm sure u'd go looking for those instead.. even if the cost was slightly more...

Even if you have the best audiologist in the world, you can still mess up your impressions if you don't relax while the audiologist is making them.

I was about 90% satisfied of my behavior when I did my impressions for my upcoming FreQ Shows. I'll tell you all whether my emphasis on relaxation is actually worth anything. If they don't fit well, I'm going to blame it on the FreQ manufacturing process!
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #2,647 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you have the best audiologist in the world, you can still mess up your impressions if you don't relax while the audiologist is making them.

I was about 90% satisfied of my behavior when I did my impressions for my upcoming FreQ Shows. I'll tell you all whether my emphasis on relaxation is actually worth anything. If they don't fit well, I'm going to blame it on the FreQ manufacturing process!
cool.gif

But you previously said that a bad fit is usually the fault of the customer or audiologist - why the big change of heart?
tongue.gif

Besides, you don't know if the relaxation techniques will make the fit wrong when you are stressed out all the time. :-|

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #2,649 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you previously said that a bad fit is usually the fault of the customer or audiologist - why the big change of heart?
tongue.gif

Besides, you don't know if the relaxation techniques will make the fit wrong when you are stressed out all the time. :-|

I thought we sorted this out already 20 pages ago. If the customer doesn't provide a good impression, which is most consistently achieved when the customer is relaxed and doesn't move his mouth while the material is entering or hardening, then the custom IEM company will likely not produce a good-fitting shell. Basically, if the impressions are inconsistent or wrong, the IEM company will not have an ideal impression to compare with the actual custom shell.

I also mentioned that even though UE uses 3D scanning technology on the impressions, many people STILL have fit problems. This is why I think that the impressions process is highly dependent on the customer and audiologist. What do you think?

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but I'm talking about relaxing your face while you get your impressions done. I'm not talking about relaxing and stressing out in life
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #2,650 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

And if you're interested, here is what Sovkiller got from Todd:

Quote:

According to Todd, there is always fit issues and at any level, in any company, in this business, even in the hearing aid side, simply there are a lot of factors that can ruin a good impression while doing it, temperature, stress, position, any muscle contraction, etc...And there is a fine line between good seal and bad seal, and the difference in sound is huge, also there are inaccuracies during the manufacturing process, the percentage is around 10% or so, also he told me that the majority of the complaints came from us, the hardcore audiophiles that demand a more perfect seal to fully enjoy the music...

Emphasis mine

There you have it: the quality of the seal is mostly dependent on the quality of the impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

I spent 10 minutes trying to find that post. Read it well!

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #2,651 of 3,960
Did all the freqs some in a plastic bag inside the pouch? Mine just came in the pouch with no plastic bag...

Also, I noticed that when I opened the box that it was opened before. Making was checked with customs? I would think that they would seal them back after...

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #2,652 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did all the freqs some in a plastic bag inside the pouch? Mine just came in the pouch with no plastic bag...

Also, I noticed that when I opened the box that it was opened before. Making was checked with customs? I would think that they would seal them back after...

Mine weren't in a plastic bag and the box was not sealed.
The DHL envelope that they were in WAS sealed though, and nothing showed signs of being manhandled.

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2,653 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly suggest you try the SuperFreqs with a different source, to make sure the Nokia is not holding back the sound quality of the Freqs.

I repeated the test with the Ipod Touch and found the same resonance
(that I don't ear with my X3) and I'm not the only one to have that issue...
* Headphoneaddict - Freqshow (MM crossover)
* Mazz - Superfreq (ML crossover)
* Doggiehowser - Superfreq (ML crossover)

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #2,654 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_resolu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I repeated the test with the Ipod Touch and found the same resonance
(that I don't ear with my X3) and I'm not the only one to have that issue...
* Headphoneaddict - Freqshow (MM crossover)
* Mazz - Superfreq (ML crossover)
* Doggiehowser - Superfreq (ML crossover)

Well, I've had that problem also. Its occurrence is pretty random. We haven't isolated the cause yet. If it is due to the way the FreQ is made (ie. the sound tubes), then I would think more people would hear it.

It may be due to the way the sound reverberates in our ear canals, so if you have a certain canal shape, it might cause that ringing resonance.

Then again, it might be due to how the FreQs fit in your ear?!

For some people, it seems that only the FreQs cause the resonance, but for me, it happens with every IEM (but the very least with my modified FreQs)
biggrin.gif
I guess I'm just a special case.

Who knows, but I remember you saying that you don't have a great fit on your right ear. Have you tried listening to the FreQs one ear at a time and seeing if the resonance occurs in both ears?

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #2,655 of 3,960
So,
Does anyone know where I can buy a cleaning tool for my FreQs?
There's no build-up yet, but I would like to be able to deal with it asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back