The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #2,566 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madlens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my freq show :p

honeyee x TheFreQ

--- photos edited out ---

I like these!

By the way, excellent job on the MACRO photography
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #2,567 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
translucent silver

freqs.jpg

Looks nice!

Translucent silver for both the shell and faceplate?

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #2,568 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question to the folks with a "perfect" fit/seal.

Can you press on the headphones and improve isolation and/or SQ?

Hi there - I got perfect fit now, so here is my feedback. Right now, pressing/moving them does not affect the SQ at all (plus there is very little movement possible anyway).

-> You don't have a good fit yet, at least not on the one you are pushing to get good seal/bass. That is how both left/right felt when they were still a tad undersized. I would seriously try layering clear acrylic on that one IEM (make sure you clean before with alcohol and let dry between coats). If this does not work, you would then have to send them back for a second re-fit
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #2,569 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you guys package your impressions to be sent off?

The audiologist should have given you a small cardboard box to send them in. If not, you can always pack them with any small strong box. Insice the box, you can package them with paper towels to prevent too much movement during travel.

EDIT: The other piece of advice is to send a note with your name, address, phone, and specific instructions/colors/etc. in the same box along with the impressions - something might still be missed/messed up, but this tends to minimize mistakes
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #2,570 of 3,960
Quote:

Maybe I should defer to someone with more experience. My only IEMs are SuperFreqs and now my FreqShows and borrowing some Shure e3cs. I thought the Shures sounded OK, but I could only get a good seal with the yellow ear plug material tips. It was a pain in the ***** to put them in and out so I wanted customs.

I think my Freqs have plenty of treble, but again I don't have a lot of IEM experience. My only other audiophile grade headphones are my HD580s.

So are there tracks you listen to with other headphones that you feel parts are missing when you listen with your FreQs?

Maybe the FreQs are so good, you're not used to hearing something with the entire spectrum represented so evenly (at least I think they are very neutral) and in comparison to something that is biased towards highs, he FreqQs seem to be lacking?

Sometimes I reread my posts and I'm not sure I'm clear, but I also don't know how else to explain it. I hope that makes sense
cool.gif

SQ is very relative, but I find that I like the SQ out of my SuperFreQs about the same or better than my UE TF10's, and also on par with my HD580's (although I prefer the isolation in my SuperFreQs compared to the open HD580's).

The other thing I noted is that for some reason, after about 6-8 hours of use (after the second ref-fit and new MM crossover) is that they sounded smoother and clearer than they did at the beguining when I first tried them. Maybe just psychological, but I "really" like the sound of these now. In fact, so that I can have a spare/alternating set, I am about to order a new set of FreQ Shows (also with the MM crossover)
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #2,571 of 3,960
Quote:

honeyee x TheFreQ
fs1.jpg

fs2.jpg

fs3.jpg

what color choices were they? light transparent blue and..red? or pink?

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #2,574 of 3,960
Quote:

honeyee x TheFreQ
***photos editted***

I think those are the prettiest FreQs I've seen yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there - I got perfect fit now, so here is my feedback. Right now, pressing/moving them does not affect the SQ at all (plus there is very little movement possible anyway).

-> You don't have a good fit yet, at least not on the one you are pushing to get good seal/bass. That is how both left/right felt when they were still a tad undersized. I would seriously try layering clear acrylic on that one IEM (make sure you clean before with alcohol and let dry between coats). If this does not work, you would then have to send them back for a second re-fit
frown.gif

When I just sent them back in this time, it wasn't just a refit. They completely remade them and I paid to upgrade to FreqShow from SuperFreq. After my old cable fell apart, I couldn't be comfortable without being able to replace the cable. If the upgraded cable on the SuperFreq is like the one on the FreqShow, it would have been fine though.

So if/when I send them back in, it will be the first actual "refit". I think you're right that my left ear still isn't quite right. I'm not sure if I should just get some acrylic paint and try to adjust them myself though. I'm pretty DIYish so I think I could do it well, but my concern is knowing where to apply the material. Maybe I'll take them to the audiologist and ask her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SQ is very relative, but I find that I like the SQ out of my SuperFreQs about the same or better than my UE TF10's, and also on par with my HD580's (although I prefer the isolation in my SuperFreQs compared to the open HD580's).

The other thing I noted is that for some reason, after about 6-8 hours of use (after the second ref-fit and new MM crossover) is that they sounded smoother and clearer than they did at the beguining when I first tried them. Maybe just psychological, but I "really" like the sound of these now. In fact, so that I can have a spare/alternating set, I am about to order a new set of FreQ Shows (also with the MM crossover)
wink.gif

I was without my SuperFreqs for about 2 months, but I think I prefer the MM xover too. It seems more neutral to me. I know others have said they felt the mids were more forward, but I don't hear that. We'll see how I feel after a few days with the new ones.

Quote:

outer: transparent black
inner: transparent red, transparent blue

Again, those are gorgeous.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #2,575 of 3,960
yeah i really love that blue.. i think it's great!!
Good stuff for all those getting the translucents!

I'm convincing myself that the discount during the early days is worth the foregoing of the recent availability of the translucent colours.. but it's very hard!!!!!!!!!
and todd told me at the beginning that it's in the works only half a year from then!!!

wow they're gorgeous.. i don't feel like posting mine up anymore haha

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #2,576 of 3,960
Quote:

When I just sent them back in this time, it wasn't just a refit. They completely remade them and I paid to upgrade to FreqShow from SuperFreq. After my old cable fell apart, I couldn't be comfortable without being able to replace the cable. If the upgraded cable on the SuperFreq is like the one on the FreqShow, it would have been fine though.

So if/when I send them back in, it will be the first actual "refit". I think you're right that my left ear still isn't quite right. I'm not sure if I should just get some acrylic paint and try to adjust them myself though. I'm pretty DIYish so I think I could do it well, but my concern is knowing where to apply the material. Maybe I'll take them to the audiologist and ask her.

Gotcha - first re-fit. Yes, before sending them over, a quick visit to the audiologist would be good to get their professional opinion. I would seriously try the DIY approach before being without IEM's for 2-3 weeks - then again I will be ordering a second set in a few days (still trying to decide on color/custom graphics!).

Quote:

I was without my SuperFreqs for about 2 months, but I think I prefer the MM xover too. It seems more neutral to me. I know others have said they felt the mids were more forward, but I don't hear that. We'll see how I feel after a few days with the new ones.

I always use the 5-band Equalizer in my iAudio7 to accentuate the bass/trebble a little (1-2db or so), which leaves the mids at a slightly lower level, but I do this with all of my headphones - that is the tonal balance that sounds good to me. I came up with these settings while using the HD580's and with the UE SuperFi Pro and UE Triple 10's. I also tried playing with the Shure SE530's, but I gave up - they "never" sounded natural to me, specially the highs and female voices.

When I then tried the Super FreQs with the ML crossover, I found no need to adjust the Equalizer settings, so to me this means that my ears consider these to be "about" the same. Now that I have the MM crossover, I still like these Eq settings - I never felt that the mids were too strong in the FreQs with either crossover.

At least from memory (as I no longer have my prior IEM's), my current SuperFreQs (MM x-over) sound the best of all IEM's I have tried so far. I am hearing details, and instruments in the music that I don't remember noticing earlier with prior IEM's - its like music nirvana
wink.gif

I should add that I now also have the best fit/isolation, so that probably helps a lot regarding the perceived SQ. While on my last plane trip, I was listening to music (normal level, not loud at all), and the flight attendant was asking me if I wanted a drink, and he must have tried twice before finally touching me on the shoulder before I realized he was talking to me about 1-2 feet away from my face!. The attenuation is so good that even when I stop playing music, I can barely hear the captain speaking on the airplane PA system - on my next trip I will try my Shure PTH (push to hear) adapter so that I can better hear the announcements
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #2,577 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah i really love that blue.. i think it's great!!
Good stuff for all those getting the translucents!

I'm convincing myself that the discount during the early days is worth the foregoing of the recent availability of the translucent colours.. but it's very hard!!!!!!!!!
and todd told me at the beginning that it's in the works only half a year from then!!!

wow they're gorgeous.. i don't feel like posting mine up anymore haha

Yep - my now "dull" black and whites look boring in comparison to the new ones
wink.gif

But, since I am now ordering the FreQ Shows, I will be able to take advantage of the new colors/options
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2,578 of 3,960
Can someone explain to me what a good seal is like? Also some people complain about wobbling. What does that feel like?

Thanks and sorry if it was explained already.

yes, mine are all translucent silver...I think....

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2,579 of 3,960
My Superfreq experience:

Order to delivery story:
I had an email 2 weeks ago saying they received my impressions and will start building my Superfreq. According to the e-mail that should take 5 to 7 business days. Then I immediately called The Freq to specify I would like to have the “over the ear” cable configuration (I did not specify that in the internet form when I ordered). The girl said “no problem it is now written in your personal file”. Two weeks after, no news (10 business days).
Second phone call (as you know they don’t read e-mails or at least don’t answer to). The girl searched some information for 10mn and finally said they’ve just sent it the morning and that I’ll get a confirmation e-mail with a tracking number. Never received that e-mail but two days after I received them (DHL express only took 2 days for France). Up to now everything is good except e-mails!!! Why do I have to complain?

Very excited I opened the box and…… they have the regular cable configuration.

I can then understand those who complain with Freq customer support.
Todd you have some improvement margin on that point but you’re probably already aware of that.

Finishing:
Excellent. I chose black/black and braided cable.

Fit:
After the first disappointment, I tried to wear them. Left one fits perfectly…… Right one doesn’t. I have to play with it for 5mn to have a good seal but I can easily break it on my right ear if I move my jaw. Definitely would need a refit but don’t know if I can afford the shipment cost from France and take the risk to pay again the 50$ VAT the custom already asked me. I also find the canal length a bit short (was longer on my impressions).

Signal quality:
My portable rig is a Nokia N95 8Go. Not the best source but probably not worse than an iPod.
My intention with buying a Superfreq was to replace my Mylarone X3 because I was expecting a big step in signal quality, in fact the same step that I had from the crappy Sparkplug to the X3. Perhaps I was too ambitious. So how does it compare with my 45$ X3:

Bass: Precise, tight, but not deeper than my X3 but it's an improvement compared to my X3.

Mids: First I immediately could hear the resonance that other mentioned (precision: I don’t have a tinnitus problem as far as I know). I could hear it in the voice when the singer suddenly increase the voice level (Ben Harper – Lifeline - Needed you Tonight) or in general when the power of the mids rise above a certain limit. It is something unnatural, tiring and a bit aggressive that I don’t hear with my X3. I played with my EQ to decrease the mids and that helps a lot at reducing the resonance issue. Other did that before me with the same positive effect.

Highs: good but not better than my X3. Perhaps my ears are getting old and can't catch highs very well (I’m 42). Not the sparkle I was waiting for.

Soundstage: can we really expect to have soundstage with an IEM?

Instrument separation: good but not better than my X3.

Hiss: quite lower than on my X3. I can only marginally hear it with the Superfreq between songs.

Conclusion (in comparison to my X3):

Pros:
Very good build quality
Good bass
Hiss is better controlled

Cons:
Expensive (of course not in comparison with other custom 3 ways)
Poor customer service department
Mids unnatural and uncontrolled without EQing
Not very impressed with the high and instrument separation

Last word: Disappointed.

I was really expecting more for the price…
I will give them a chance of a longer hearing time (2 weeks more) before deciding if I ask for a full refund which is what I want to do right now.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #2,580 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain to me what a good seal is like? Also some people complain about wobbling. What does that feel like?

The two key aspects of good seal are good/strong bass, and good isolation. Now, I know these two things are relative, and some folks will feel differently about what is "enough" bass/isolation, but that is how I describe the perfect fit I now have.

A couple more specific points:
- With enough isolation, with no music, you should barely hear yourself typing on a noisy keyboard.
EDIT: Better to say that the keyboard should be muffled.

- With enough isolation, with music even at low level, you should not be able to hear anyone around you speaking to you at normal voice levels, and if you do, they should sound very attenuated.

- With a good fit, if you move/push the IEM in/sideways, the sound (specially the bass) should not change - if it becomes stronger, you don't have enough good seal.

- If you have enough seal, but you open your mouth/chew/talk/etc. and the seal is lost, but if you regain the seal by closing your mouth again (or lightly repositioning your IEM), I would say that is pretty good. It would be even better if you don't loose seal when opening your mouth (that is how well mine seal right now).

- If the seal is really good and tight, you might need to use Oto-ease to insert the IEM's into your ear - that is exactly my case. They are tight enough that if I try to insert them "dry" it is not easy/comfortable - a light amount of Oto-ease makes a huge difference, and I still have to turn them as I get them in/out, almost like screwing them in/out.

- With a tight seal, you will probably experience some initial discomfort for the first few days of use - this will get better and better each day, until you pretty much forget you have them on (only use them 1-2hours at a time, to start with).

Does this helps?

I needed two re-fits before I got a good seal, but now I love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back