The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 13, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #2,416 of 3,960
Ok, back to the topic, so Freq's are having problems. It sucks I know.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #2,417 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Bomb proof and all is good.

But they are U-G-L-Y

There not Ugly. They looked pretty good on TV. Besides beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #2,418 of 3,960
Got my freQshows today
biggrin.gif

translucent blue on left and translucent red on right. actually love how they turned out to be as i didn't really like anything too deep or contrasting.

if you noticed, custom art on both earpieces have varying sizes though they were supposed to be of similar scale. no biggie for me though.

left

right

initial impressions:
Got these babies this evening. To my surprise, the translucent colours which i requested for turned out very nice and the built quality's exceptional. There was also hardly any audible hiss (maybe just a lil, not very noticeable) when paired with my D2. My fit is pretty much close to ideal, probably a 20% loss of seal on my left side whenever i open my mouth but i don't foresee a required refit at the moment.

Soundwise, a definite improvement over the UM2s i had. More refined highs, better seperation, bigger soundstage. Bass has less boom, but definitely punchy and controlled. As yet (barely 2 hours into listening to them), I have not encountered any unbearable mids mentioned by some of the users though it may be due to the fact that I listen mainly to rock. So far they have been pretty good IMO. : )

Would also like to commend freQs on their excellent customer service and patience in answering all my queries and the many requests on the status of my order.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #2,419 of 3,960
I'll post more later as I listen to them. Suffice it to say that I am VERY happy with the construction and sound. I was worried after reading all the posts about refits. Not here. Both ears create what could only be described as TOO good of a seal. It is fantastic.

For reference I have previously owned one other custom IEM, purchased from HearYourSelf.com.( I believe they work with Percision Labs) That one was silicone. Soft...very comfy. Also, I have custom musician s ear plugs. I use the er15 filters.

These Freq Shows are comfy. Harder to get in than my silicone ones naturally. (they dont bend!)...but not difficult to master. Getting them OUT is a different story. They are really low profile so there's nothing to hold onto in the first place. But that is nothing compared to the seal and subsequent SUCTION they create in my ears as I try to pry them out. OUCH....ok...its not that bad..but it takes some getting used to.

I would say the sonic signature was way more detailed than the E2's that I had for about a week then returned. (didn't like them). Nice highs without being shrill. These will NOT distort. (no armature driver really will) but it is interesting to push these a bit and hear how clean they stay. Base is present but not in your face. CLEAN....overall that is what strikes me. It actually made them easier to use when I was with my band last night. (Yes I am actually using them as IEM's ...go firgure!) They have a good little presence boost in the high mids....makes vocals clear. It's nice. Nothing overbearing. Kinda reminds me of when I moved from speakers to true near field monitors in my studio. Cleaner...more accurate....more brutally honest. (I never realized how noisy my computer laptop headphone out was. )

I am hesitant to post pics....I was kinda asked NOT to...special order that they didn't want to replicate. heh....sUffice it to say I got the clear/clear's and love the look. Just wish they had clear cords. Looks like I may be able to get a clear cord rom UE and use it. (thats what I did with the previous custom I had. )

Anyhow....just wanted to report.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #2,420 of 3,960
Oh man, everyones getting their FreQs. Now we have the pictures of the first clear customs. Mine were delayed due to "complicated artwork". Ohwell. Just gotta wait.
Whats so special bout your order anyway? Just post e pics! Lol.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #2,421 of 3,960
I haven't posted here yet but i just got my super freQs back form a recabling/replacing,it took about 2 weeks in all from me sending it in to them and back,my freQs used to have the ibud cable but the cable started breaking, so I got them recabled with the new braided cable, and the cable feels so much nicer, but really I put the old cable though alot of abuse really, including rain, snow, humidity, heat and such to and from school within a 3 month period, so I really didn't expect the cable to last as long as it did, but for most people I think the regular cable is good.

I love how they sound and all, and I do notice the mids being forward but i can deal with it.

All in all i really enjoy them, and the quality is excellent.

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #2,422 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by ODEKK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll post more later as I listen to them. Suffice it to say that I am VERY happy with the construction and sound. I was worried after reading all the posts about refits. Not here. Both ears create what could only be described as TOO good of a seal. It is fantastic.

These Freq Shows are comfy. Harder to get in than my silicone ones naturally. (they dont bend!)...but not difficult to master. Getting them OUT is a different story. They are really low profile so there's nothing to hold onto in the first place. But that is nothing compared to the seal and subsequent SUCTION they create in my ears as I try to pry them out. OUCH....ok...its not that bad..but it takes some getting used to.

I now had an opportunity to use my SuperFreQs yesterday on two plane rides (about 5 hours total flight time) and this second re-fit worked out great. My fit is similar to what you state here - they are "tight" - not painful, but tight. Now to get them out, it takes some effort/twisting due to the great seal they make. I can even chew and eat and I don't loose the seal. If I don't have any music playing, you can still barely hear outside noises (good fitting IEM's give you attenuation, but don't completely eliminate all sounds), but once I get music going, even at very low levels, the isolation becomes amazing - simply superb!

The folks at the FreQs really delivered
wink.gif

Will

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #2,423 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now had an opportunity to use my SuperFreQs yesterday on two plane rides (about 5 hours total flight time) and this second re-fit worked out great. My fit is similar to what you state here - they are "tight" - not painful, but tight. Now to get them out, it takes some effort/twisting due to the great seal they make. I can even chew and eat and I don't loose the seal. If I don't have any music playing, you can still barely hear outside noises (good fitting IEM's give you attenuation, but don't completely eliminate all sounds), but once I get music going, even at very low levels, the isolation becomes amazing - simply superb!

The folks at the FreQs really delivered
wink.gif

Will

How do you find the mini^3 with the FreQs?
I'll be using a similar setup soon 'cause MINE SHIPPED TODAY!!!

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #2,424 of 3,960
[size=large]I got them!!!!!!!Finally....
eek.gif
[/size]

Well the sound is very good, second to none I have heard, honestly, very very detailed, better than my other IEMs, and the bass is really tight and good...Surprisingly I got a very good seal, from square one, which I was not expecting honestly, given my history of bad luck, just feel a little pressure on the left ear, after a while but nothing major, and honestly I preffer to deal with it, rather than take them from my ears now.....
eek.gif

I do not feel the mids prominent, and the overall construction seems very solid, and smooth to me. Very well done earpieces, the engraving is also perfect, and trust me that I'm really picky with that...The cable is really smooth and non microphonic at all, really soft an thin...nice cable guys....

One remark, for oversized persons: for skinny persons, and normal persons, the standard version of the cable is good, but for a 300+ lbs little monster like me, it is a little short on the section that runs the two earpieces, it needs to be a little longer like maybe three inches longer, right now I'm feel that the cable is strangling me...LOL...

As usual not everyhing is pink, I do have an small problem, the cable was defective, not their fault, it seems to be a factory defect, it shows some kind of intermittency on the left ear while you move it around the 1/8 plug, it seems to me, that there is a wire giving hardtime, so I asked Todd and he sent me a new one right away, it is on the way now by DHL...

Any way the cable need replacment one way or another so I asked Todd as well and he told me the new cable will be longer as well, till now guys, I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome...So you know for big fellows ask for the longer version lf the cable!!!

FreQ2.jpg

FreQ4.jpg

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #2,425 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelixus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, everyones getting their FreQs. Now we have the pictures of the first clear customs. Mine were delayed due to "complicated artwork". Ohwell. Just gotta wait.
Whats so special bout your order anyway? Just post e pics! Lol.

Do my clear/clear count, with pics posted here on 5/25/08?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fre...ml#post4252937

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #2,426 of 3,960
I have a question, I noticed that the cable has no polarity indication, and the plug is symmetric, how do we know how to plug it in, if they are in phase or out phase???

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #2,427 of 3,960
^ That is a new cable design from what they had originally!

I like that better - will be contacting FreQ to get the new cable since any upgrades should be *free*. Yeah, mine looks way ghetto compared to the look of the new Y piece and cable retraint.

They do look great!

Sovkiller, I do have to ask what you think about the sound and if you are happy with your purchase. I hope my advice was good and you did not take it in vain!

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #2,428 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ That is a new cable design from what they had originally!

I like that better - will be contacting FreQ to get the new cable since any upgrades should be *free*. Yeah, mine looks way ghetto compared to the look of the new Y piece and cable retraint.

They do look great!

Sovkiller, I do have to ask what you think about the sound and if you are happy with your purchase. I hope my advice was good and you did not take it in vain!

Till now I love them, not sure yet about the fit, I'm trying to get used, a little painful transition, as I'm used to the soft materials of the universal fits in my ear, and this hard shell is not too comfy, specially while you move....but honestly the sound I'm getting is worth to get used to it...

Not sure how the comparison will be, wiht a custom mold in the UE, as I just tried them with hte universal fit, but I think that the UE11 have a really strong competition here...Thanks for the reco Germania and powertoold...

The Y section is a little short IMO, and they look very similar to the ones used by Westone honestly, not sure fi any other uses the same, if they are not the same, they are in the same family...

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #2,430 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do my clear/clear count, with pics posted here on 5/25/08?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fre...ml#post4252937

I think he means translucent colors. I updated the first page with one example of translucent FreQs from the last page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back