The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 8, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #2,311 of 3,960
How can you tell if you have a perfect fit?

Are you supposed to get that suction feeling? I assume this is what people mean by "seal." I can get that on both ears for a few seconds but then I loose it fairly quick with hardly any movement.

If I press on the bottom of my IEMs the response of the lower frequencies is much better.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #2,312 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_resolu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you have the superfreq with music lover crossover.

Yes.

Quote:

Are you sur you don't have also a fitting problrem issue like a lot of people have ? Does the sound change when you press them inside your ears ?

You know, I was going to say I have a minor fit problem but it doesn't seem to cause the sound problems because I've messed around with pushing them around before. But then I thought I'd better do the vacuuming before my wife gets home, and I mulled over your question while doing it with my SuperFreqs on.

The vacuum cleaner makes it easy to hear differing levels of isolation. Almost anything I do with my jaw apart from a neutral noticeably reduces the isolation in my right ear - and seems like it may also be correlated with the squelching sound I hear on that side when I move my jaw. If I move my jaw far enough I can do the same with my left ear, although it takes more effort. This suggests to me that the fit is not quite right - and maybe some of the squelching will go away when it's properly adjusted.

But when my jaw is in the right spot, the sound seems decent (after EQ and/or depending on the track). I get fairly robust and deep bass which doesn't happen without a seal - and if I push up on the base of my ears near the skull to deliberately break the seal the bass all but disappears.
Sometimes in the past I have felt like the bass is vibrating the Freqs in my ears and either echoing or making it a bit loose, but I need to recheck that - it may just have been part of the initial adjustment to the different presentation & headstage.

If I push in on the middle of the right earpiece, if anything it makes the sound worse. Typically the balance seems to shift to the left (mainly because the bottoms/low-mids drop out of the right). I think this breaks the seal a bit (because my inner ear flaps are forming part of the seal?), and it doesn't feel like there's really room for it that deep in my ear (maybe slightly too large in that dimension?)

If I push in at the top or back or front it's the same as the middle; at the bottom there's only a minor change (although it makes my ear canal itch, as does pushing on the front!)

On the left earpiece pushing anywhere but the top seems to make little difference; the top breaks the seal and shifts the balance to the right.

I also wonder if there's a physiological change from day to day or during the day, or a burn-in or psychological adjustment phase (and/or a source dependency, as someone else posted)? The flat EQ out of my laptop doesn't sound as objectionable today as it has on other days (but the EQ does improve things). I think I need to find half a dozen test tracks that I have the worst response to and try some more combinations of variables against those tracks...

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2,313 of 3,960
Over time, I've noticed that my SuperFreQ have become less bass heavy and more balanced, even for classical music.

As for the psychological change, it's true. Music depends on many factors that you can't possibly objectify. That's why I doubt many of the amp and cable reviews on this site.

I even doubt my own assessment sometimes, so I don't mind if people think I'm wrong
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #2,314 of 3,960
i'm like up to 15 layers of polish is that pretty extreme? very thin layers though.. aesthetics wise I think it's less of an issue, my coloured shells still show up very well.. and besides some brush strokes, it's looking good.. the seal is getting there...

=)

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #2,315 of 3,960
They've had my impressions since the 28th.
Not that I'm complaining, but this wait it KILLING ME.
WANT NOW!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #2,316 of 3,960
So there seems to be a sound quality issue because of "overpowered" mids. There is at leat 3 headfiers having that issue who need to decrease mids by 3-5 db:
* Headphoneaddict - Freqshow (MM crossover)
* Mazz - Superfreq (ML crossover)
* Doggiehowser - Superfreq (ML crossover)

I should receive my Superfreq soon and hope I will not have the same problem...

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #2,317 of 3,960
Quote:

So there seems to be a sound quality issue because of "overpowered" mids. There is at leat 3 headfiers having that issue who need to decrease mids by 3-5 db:
* Headphoneaddict - Freqshow (MM crossover)
* Mazz - Superfreq (ML crossover)
* Doggiehowser - Superfreq (ML crossover)

I should receive my Superfreq soon and hope I will not have the same problem...

I don't think it's a problem with "overpowered" mids; rather, it's likely a technical problem with their sound tubes. I no longer think the mids on my SuperFreQs are forward, but I still think the bass could be toned down a bit.

The problem for the mentioned people is probably the same problem I had a couple months ago and still have (although 80% gone). There are several possible causes. The first and most likely is that the sound tubes have a problem transmitting some mid frequencies. I've talked with my engineering roommate, and he says that the diameter of the tube is associated with its sound transmission ability. Todd told me they considered making the tubes wider but found no way to do it since the canal portions of the IEMs can be really narrow. The second possibility is that since this problem is pretty isolated (ie. not more than 10% have it), it is possible that we have some sort of tinnitus that reacts with certain mid frequency ranges. I found that the "shrillness" or "roaring" or "resonant ringing" I hear is around the same frequency range as my tinnitus, but I'm not sure if the other members are trying to notice this. The problem with the second hypothesis is that the other members don't get this problem with other IEMs, and in my case, I don't get the problem at all with headphones.

The problem is best emphasized with certain piano or ringing instrument recordings. It can be described as some high pitched roaring or resonant ringing noise that can be short-lived or have a long duration. Also, the ringing noise increases with volume increase and is very unpleasant if you listen to a lot of piano types of music. I've heard it with clarinets, pianos, certain voice recordings, and flutes.

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #2,319 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a problem with "overpowered" mids; rather, it's likely a technical problem with their sound tubes. I no longer think the mids on my SuperFreQs are forward, but I still think the bass could be toned down a bit.

The problem for the mentioned people is probably the same problem I had a couple months ago and still have (although 80% gone). There are several possible causes. The first and most likely is that the sound tubes have a problem transmitting some mid frequencies. I've talked with my engineering roommate, and he says that the diameter of the tube is associated with its sound transmission ability. Todd told me they considered making the tubes wider but found no way to do it since the canal portions of the IEMs can be really narrow. The second possibility is that since this problem is pretty isolated (ie. not more than 10% have it), it is possible that we have some sort of tinnitus that reacts with certain mid frequency ranges. I found that the "shrillness" or "roaring" or "resonant ringing" I hear is around the same frequency range as my tinnitus, but I'm not sure if the other members are trying to notice this. The problem with the second hypothesis is that the other members don't get this problem with other IEMs, and in my case, I don't get the problem at all with headphones.

The problem is best emphasized with certain piano or ringing instrument recordings. It can be described as some high pitched roaring or resonant ringing noise that can be short-lived or have a long duration. Also, the ringing noise increases with volume increase and is very unpleasant if you listen to a lot of piano types of music. I've heard it with clarinets, pianos, certain voice recordings, and flutes.

My tinnitus is a mild high pitch whine at around 12,000Hz, way higher than the resonant roaring or ringing I get from the Freq.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #2,320 of 3,960
So Headphone Addict.. any mods to the soundpipes that can minimize the midrange boost?

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #2,321 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do we know if the sound tubes in the UE11 are that different than the ones in the FreQs?

Will

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #2,322 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do we know if the sound tubes in the UE11 are that different than the ones in the FreQs?

Will

Well, for one thing, they are a lot bigger in diameter.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #2,323 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for one thing, they are a lot bigger in diameter.

So maybe there is something to be said regarding the tube diameter. Maybe the folks at FreQs should look more into this ...

Will

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2,325 of 3,960
Spoke with Todd today, like hafl an hour on the phone, as usal a real pleasure exchange ideas with the young fellow, the guy knows what he is doing, sorry guys!!!...

Mine will ship tomorrow, waiting for the confirmation on the artwork to finish them...hope no refinish, but in case i need one I'm pretty confident that they will get it sooner or later....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back