The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
May 25, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #1,936 of 3,960
When I move my jaw, I don't lose the seal.

I just want to say that getting an external portable amp will improve your FreQs a lot, most noticeably with the buzzing and static. You will also get a bigger sense of soundstage, imaging, and better sound in every aspect (just not by a dramatic amount, but noticeable).

If you are vacuuming and you can't hear it very well, then you probably got a decent seal though.

May 25, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #1,937 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to say that getting an external portable amp will improve your FreQs a lot, most noticeably with the buzzing and static. You will also get a bigger sense of soundstage, imaging, and better sound in every aspect (just not by a dramatic amount, but noticeable).

That's something I'm starting to look at too - see what's out there and what works well with the SuperFreqs.

Depending on how things go I may also want a USB DAC + amp for use at home with my FLACs as well...

May 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #1,938 of 3,960
Does any other owner has this problem?
"Music get a bit muddled together when there's a lot going on"

frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SuperFreqs arrived in Sydney on Friday!

They don't sound like they have lots of high end sparkle with my sources at first - but unlike the HD465's they reveal my PC's sound card has a lot of low level buzzing & clicking noises while my laptop is much quieter (which tells you something about the 465's...). A little bit of a boost at the top end seems to help. There's something noticably different (colored?) somewhere in the mids (low-mids?) that I'm not fond of at the moment. I've been experimenting with EQ to try and figure out what works well for me without huge success yet as I'm not very good at figuring out where in the frequency range it doesn't sound right, and I think it varies with the particular recording. There seems to be a reasonably good bass extension and decent volume, but sometimes it seems like things get a bit muddled together when there's a lot going on, almost like the lows are overwhelming the perception of other parts of the spectrum, or aren't quite keeping up with the rest of the music. Some of this could be due to not being accustomed to the different head-stage too. Sometimes it even feels like they're making my outer ears/parts of my head vibrate a bit along with the SuperFreqs at some bass frequencies (which might indicate the seal isn't quite solid enough?), or maybe I just need to get used to the different presentation of IEMs compared to speakers.

May 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #1,939 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Bear in mind I've only had them 48 hours, some of my listening has been at my PC which is not a very good source, and I'm still getting used to putting them in and getting a good seal and finding an EQ I like for the sources I have. Things may sound a lot better after the initial adjustment period - that seems to be a common experience.

May 25, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #1,942 of 3,960
din even know westone had clear cables.. ooh...

thanks for clarifying! never got to confirm with Todd...

anyway, someone on my local forum called todd and confirmed translucent colours.. anyone else here can second that?

May 25, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #1,946 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

What sort of music genre are you talking about? Also, did you compare the muddiness with different headphones? Sometimes, it's how the music (usually referring to orchestra) is supposed to sound like if you're listening to it as a whole. Also, it can be due to the recording or equalizer settings. If you want to confirm that it is a problem with the FreQs, you should turn off the EQ and compare the sound with different headphones on the same track.

May 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #1,947 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
din even know westone had clear cables.. ooh...

thanks for clarifying! never got to confirm with Todd...

anyway, someone on my local forum called todd and confirmed translucent colours.. anyone else here can second that?

Translucent colors would be nice, but we need someone to get it so we can see if it looks nice hehe.

May 25, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #1,949 of 3,960
Seems like most people go with transparent and black. Any pics from other colors? Also, if you do not have a specific design for the back, do you have to have the freq logo or can you just leave it blank?

Lastly, no one has replied as to the difference that cross-overs can do.

'll be looking to get an ear impression this week and I'm trying to figure out which colors to go with...

Thanks!

May 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #1,950 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lastly, no one has replied as to the difference that cross-overs can do.

Gives better "Lift" and "Separation", apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back