The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Mar 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #782 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate your participation Kosmic
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, but I think I unintentionally opened a can of worms by expressing a view.
frown.gif

Quote:

I think you may have just implied the Freqs are built cheap though
frown.gif

"Going cheaper btw may not be so cost effective, if they're fragile customs." The broken shells look thin, and fragile to me. Just my observation looking at the photos, but you have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price low.

Quote:

What evidence do you have that Livewires are better?

"I'm interested in all customs, and I'm waiting for an audiophile to give a proper review, and comparison." If I have missed an unbiased audio review, please point me in the right direction.

Quote:

We know Freqs are raising their price, so soon cost wont be the big factor.

To improve build quality! If my my six foot tall son trips on my Livewires cable, the connectors will unclip. If my cat decides to chew through the cable I can replace them.
cool.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #785 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's it guys. We must now only buy audio equipment with detachable cables!

lol.

For the price and what you get the Freq's are a great deal. Tripple driver over the livewires dual driver. Ok so it doesn't have a detachable cable, but cmon..

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #786 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah well I sAW someone else who had a black back and it wasn't metallic looking so im confused. do you have to specify??

Mine have the metallic look on the inside and outside. It is just the stock black. I can't get my lighting right so I can get the metallic to show.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #787 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol.

For the price and what you get the Freq's are a great deal. Tripple driver over the livewires dual driver. Ok so it doesn't have a detachable cable, but cmon..

It's not only a great deal, it's a fantabulousamazing deal! I've had the feeling that the customer service is too nice, and they should slap me for demanding so much lol. Just the customer service alone is worth $100, and the sound is worth $200. Then there's comfort and portability...
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #788 of 3,960
Update:

OK, the kit was failed a little over a week ago. Todd over at freq told me that they would mail out a new kit ASAP. I am sure that I will get it tommorrow with the mail. He did offer me an extended warranty for my trouble in dealing with the goo.

I haven't heard from him in about 6 days, but I am sure he is busy with all you head-fier's. They are also in the process of finding a reasonable audiologist in the chicago area ( the guys by me wanted $50!!!!).

Hopefully, I will hear from them again soon and have something to show for it! Let us just hope that the whole process doesn't take too long! ( two weeks have gone by since purchasing... and I still haven;t gotten impressions yet...).

The people over seem like a good group, they are just busy right now with everyone, but everything points to a very honest business!

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #789 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Going cheaper btw may not be so cost effective, if they're fragile customs." The broken shells look thin, and fragile to me. Just my observation looking at the photos, but you have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price low.

I read most of the california dreamin thread, but I dont recall seeing the thickness of the Livewire shells. Are they thicker? I think the way they have saved money is their process is cheaper. It sounds like Livewires uses a sophisticated 3D milling machine, right? Freqs are hand made. Some may scoff at such an idea, but in a custom made manufacturing setting, it could be better. Music is artistic. Let's get some art into the things we use to appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

To improve build quality! If my my six foot tall son trips on my Livewires cable, the connectors will unclip. If my cat decides to chew through the cable I can replace them.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update:

OK, the kit was failed a little over a week ago. Todd over at freq told me that they would mail out a new kit ASAP. I am sure that I will get it tommorrow with the mail. He did offer me an extended warranty for my trouble in dealing with the goo.

I haven't heard from him in about 6 days, but I am sure he is busy with all you head-fier's. They are also in the process of finding a reasonable audiologist in the chicago area ( the guys by me wanted $50!!!!).

Hopefully, I will hear from them again soon and have something to show for it! Let us just hope that the whole process doesn't take too long! ( two weeks have gone by since purchasing... and I still haven;t gotten impressions yet...).

The people over seem like a good group, they are just busy right now with everyone, but everything points to a very honest business!

I think they've become successful faster then they planned
wink.gif

But they're doing a good job.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #790 of 3,960
has anyone owned the Futuresonic atrio m5/m8 and has the SuperFreq's? I am looking for a comparison. I know the m8's are dual driver, so would the freq's be better? and you get a good fit too

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #791 of 3,960
Quote:

I'm interested in all customs, and I'm waiting for an audiophile to give a proper review, and comparison. Going cheaper btw may not be so cost effective, if they're fragile customs. A point I'm sure people considering FreQ's might want to hear. But hey, I have no axe to grind here. Enjoy your FreQ's.

Peace.
cool.gif

i know what you mean, but it really depends on what an audiophile mean to u. Also, unless you personally try out the FreQ yourself without any bias towards either LW or FreQ, its really hard to say which one is better and which one isnt.

Maybe there is an advantage to paying 50$ more for a detachable cable. But there may also be an advantage not to pay 50$ just to get triple drivers.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #792 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know what you mean, but it really depends on what an audiophile mean to u. Also, unless you personally try out the FreQ yourself without any bias towards either LW or FreQ, its really hard to say which one is better and which one isnt.

Maybe there is an advantage to paying 50$ more for a detachable cable. But there may also be an advantage not to pay 50$ just to get triple drivers.

Actually I have been waiting for an "audiophile" review of the freqs too...I was thinking along the lines of a seasoned reviewer here with 1,000+ posts. I know post cost does not affect your ears haha, but at least with those members I can trust that they know what they are talking about.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #794 of 3,960
I am planning on doing a very extensive review.

There will be comparisons to other IEM's like the im716, ety4s/p, Shure E530 and Klisph Custom 3 which I have spent time with (not very long with the klisph though...) I will also be including some comparisons to big cans like the HD580/600 and 650's, AKG k400/501/601/701 and even those in the Grado Family sr80/225/ms2i The ES7 will also be thrown in for a portable can comparison.

I will be testing them amped from a portable setup (iPod Touch-> portable amp, -> speaker amp) as well as directly from the headphone jack. I will also test them from a computer source for good measure (it really adds a lot more soundstage!).

Please do look for this review because it will be very extensive and a good comparison to other things in the same price range or below.

There will also be a better instruction manual on how to do the ear molds (like pic-by-pic) so that a proper fit it achieved.

Man, the itch for these right now is crazy....its just like waiting for a headphone amp to be made!

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #795 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning on doing a very extensive review.

There will be comparisons to other IEM's like the im716, ety4s/p, Shure E530 and Klisph Custom 3 which I have spent time with (not very long with the klisph though...) I will also be including some comparisons to big cans like the HD580/600 and 650's, AKG k400/501/601/701 and even those in the Grado Family sr80/225/ms2i The ES7 will also be thrown in for a portable can comparison.

I will be testing them amped from a portable setup (iPod Touch-> portable amp, -> speaker amp) as well as directly from the headphone jack. I will also test them from a computer source for good measure (it really adds a lot more soundstage!).

Please do look for this review because it will be very extensive and a good comparison to other things in the same price range or below.

There will also be a better instruction manual on how to do the ear molds (like pic-by-pic) so that a proper fit it achieved.

Man, the itch for these right now is crazy....its just like waiting for a headphone amp to be made!

can't wait
biggrin.gif
!!! I will be looking forward to it. Post pics and all of that also

T:HANKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back