The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Sep 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #3,452 of 3,960
Hey! I am currently in Hong Kong too!

So how are the Music Maker Crossover supposed to be? Low in noise? My Freqshow MM aren't too noisy out of my Sony A-829 but there is still noise unless I use a 75ohm resistor. And it is almost unlistenable(trying out new words) out of my Mac unless I use my Shure attenuators.

How can I tell if mine are Music Makers? Man now I am paranoid...
tongue.gif

Oh, and definitely get Skype, that is the only way I can talk to my girlfriend back in New York, other than email. Do you want to try mine out(Freqshow, not my girlfriend) and compare? I don't mind meeting up if you don't mind, we can talk over some intoxicating but yet delicious smelly tofu or something.
Since Todd made you waste your time and money, kindly ask him if he can cover shipping both ways this time. Let me know if you need help, since I'm also in Hong Kong, and enduring the tropic heat...

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #3,454 of 3,960
At first, I was afraid I though too much. But the comparison between my friend's and mine is quite obvious. Take an example, while I was satisfied at 15/60 for my MGR-A7, my friend need to add it to 30/60.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #3,455 of 3,960
Thanks chiefroastbeef

I don't know if our shapes of ear canal match, we may also gather and chat.
But I want Todd to reply any of my email first, else even I setup skype and cannot find him....

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #3,456 of 3,960
hmmmm... without attenuators, or the 75ohm resistor, I can only listen comfortably at 4/30 on my Sony A-829, and around 3/16 on my Macbook Pro. I guess the noise isn't bad on the MBP, though I can definitely hear noise when there is no sound, I guess it is a laptop after all.

What volume do you listen at with your Macbook Johann?

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #3,457 of 3,960
I guess it's hard to know how loud the output of player is. I'm using the the Samsung T10. Without my Ultimate ear attenuator, I can only listen to 1/30 for a good period of time in low noise environment and 3-4/30 for short period of time (at the gym, noisy). With the attenuator, I listen to 3-4/30 in low noise to maybe 8-10/30 for short burst in noisy environment. I'd like to know if it's too much... Don't want any damage to my hearing.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #3,458 of 3,960
are there 16 notches for vol on the mac? heh mine's about 3/4... i mean yeah slight noise when music's off.. but once it's on it's no prob...

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #3,460 of 3,960
So are mine Music Makers? How can I tell? Yes, there are 16 notches on my Mac, took me a while to count, since the notches disappears right away. hah.

Sazabie, just go to Wingo's place in Mongkok and test out their 75ohm resistor, it works wonders. You can try out mine too if you want.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #3,461 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are mine Music Makers? How can I tell? Yes, there are 16 notches on my Mac, took me a while to count, since the notches disappears right away. hah.

Sazabie, just go to Wingo's place in Mongkok and test out their 75ohm resistor, it works wonders. You can try out mine too if you want.

I tried last night. As Kenwood MGR-A7 is a famous noise maker... I needed a 200 ohm resistor to cancel the noise @@

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #3,462 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just received my freQ Show 2nd time, but I am very disappointed. Here is my little story:

My friend and I are from Hong Kong, and we heard about freQ through Head-fi forum. We ordered two freQ shows, and his is with Music Lover crossover and mine is with Music Maker crossover. We contact FreQ with Email mainly because long distance call fee is quite expensive for us and Todd replied us kindly and answered all our questions.

After we received our freQs, we loved the sound signature, and it was a happy week. But one day I suggested to share a song through the same source. We found that my friend need to use a higher volume to listen than me. Then we suspected if the crossovers of our freQs are mixed up. My friend was satisfied with his freQ and crossover but I found my freQ encountered noise problem among quite a number of my devices. From my understanding, Music Lover crossover should be more sensitive comparing to Music Maker crossover.

I understood we did not have any equipment to test my freQ crossover. So I sent an email to Todd again to look for a solution. Todd and I agreed that I sent my freQ back to FreQ Office for a check. I have put my freQ back to the box and sent with our email conversation. Todd said he would update my freQ status though email.

My freQ is just back. There isn't any paper attached to tell my freQ situation. There isn't any email from FreQ to tell me the answer. I have doubled checked with my friend. The difference between the sensitivities of our freQs is still the same.

I have no idea what is going on. I still think that my freQ is with a Music Lover crossover because of the sensitivity.

I made my order in July, and it's September now. I am very unhappy about this.....

It's actually very difficult to tell the difference in sound volume between the crossovers. Also, how do you know how your friend is hearing his FreQs when you can't try them on?

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #3,464 of 3,960
Sazabie,

Are you using an amp with the Freqs? I went to Wingos and tried the Little Dot MK 1, and Soundrigor HA(go vibe petite), but didn't notice anything drastic. At least not worth spending the money.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #3,465 of 3,960
hmm after the costs of duty/taxes shipping and time, impressions... to canada... maybe I should get westone's Es-1 for $400 plus tax locally?

Or would a high quality single driver not even compare to the Super FreQ's... or even FreQ of Nature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back