The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Aug 1, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #3,181 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
received my freqs back after alterations by freq.. i'm quite upset...

guess what I saw when I took out my freqs.. my nail polish layers were still on there!! all 20+ layers!!! all they probably did was add a layer of acrylic over them! the layers were just for a gauge and Todd said it would look, quote him "SEAMLESS" after they do it properly. now it looks like crap...

i paid close to 90USD to have it shipped there and back and pay tax again to have it look worse and fit about the same than when I shipped it there.. hard to comprehend...

there's something really wrong with the top-down communication man...
Todd's a great guy.. but how well his team under him is i'm having doubts.. look like pretty shoddy work to me.

That is an unacceptable situation, I bet that maybe Todd is not even aware of the problem, please I suggest you that contact him, and let them fix that mess, they should pay for the shipping both ways this time and fix them properly...
According to Todd in his last email I received, there are a few things that still need to be straighten from the logistic point of view, and sometimes he is out of the loop doing other things.
Again drop him an phone call, personally and let him know about the bad experience and the problems you are having, and how much you paid for shipping, etc...and let him handle the problem....and please keep us posted...one remark do not accept this kind of half solutions, and do not let them become the standard, please!!!!

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #3,183 of 3,960
i'm trying to find the best lighting to show the most apparent flaws!! these things are so tiny!! it may not turn out very very apparent but believe me, i can tell if it's part of the shell or it's some other material.

Direcow has felt it and seen it.. he concurs!

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #3,184 of 3,960
here're my pics.. don't think I need to explain anymore.. a picture paints a thousand clear words!

2723219364_d69eb39a8e_o.jpg

2722394239_376bd46b41.jpg

2723218102_7b7016d37d_b.jpg

2722367737_d10e1f78d8.jpg

That's how my freqs looked like when they left my place for FL and this is after it's been sent back.

I had agreed with Todd that I needn't pay tax again so he'd have them declare it a gift but this was not done so I'm waiting a tax form to pay 35more USD.

NOW.... after a chat with Todd over the phone (thank God for Skype)

I actually sent him an email of apology for being so harsh over email and I'm glad to see he's very gracious and like i've always believed, a great guy. Here's what he's offered (in point form for easy readin):

1) for the current shipping costs, he probably can't do much.

2) taxes for this round I'd pay, but he asked me to send a copy of the tax invoice to him to see what he can do about it.

3) He explained that he's been out of the office, so he really doesn't take the last look and the last vet before it gets sent out and he did not even get a chance to see my freq when it arrived there to access the situation, thus he had no control in how his backroom handled my freq.

4) He offered to give me half off the next time I ordered a freq. But I explained to him that I probably wouldn't order another one unless it spoilt (and well we all know replacing a spoilt one/loss only costs 40%) and God knows when that'll be and it'd be weird to just live with this.

5) His final offer and I must say pretty gracious offer is this:
If i'm willing to send it back one more time, he'd use my current freqs as an impression and make a brand new one for me. He'd also compensate by covering the shipping back to me and make sure I wouldn't have to pay tax again which makes sense since I paid for 1 freq and I should be taxed for 1 freq and not 3 freqs!

I think it'd be a good deal? shipping to US via registered mail may take a wk or slightly more but it does only cost about 5USD. So that's really all the cost I would incur.. and the waiting time of 3 weeks.
I'm flying to HK soon so I told him I'd probably only be able to get it back to him after that. I told him I'd think about it...

and I guess fit wise would turn out good since my present freq already had a pretty good fit after all my layers so this should be pretty accurate to be used as impressions for the new pair.

So.. the freq community (you all) have been so sympathetic and always been a great source of help.. think I should take it up? The chance of making new colours and a design does sound quite tempting since when I bought mine, the translucent colours hadn't been released yet.

Would love to hear your opinions!

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #3,188 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most noticible difference is that the soundstge is MUCH bigger. Honestly, the change is pretty much like adding my Headsix in the signal path. The treble is improved as well as the clarity. The Mids are now in balance with the rest of the spectrum and the bass while being less prominant, has more depth and less of a plastic edge to it.

I want a bit more treble extension which is why I have high hopes for this new cable, plus it will be more flexible too.

Don't get me wrong, the Cryo Copper is very, very nice.

Very nice DIY - thanks for sharing with us
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #3,189 of 3,960
I'm glad things are working out okay for ya Slowth. I would too suggest that you don't pick a booger color with fairy dust on top.
tongue.gif
The picture that shows the ear canal part definitely reminds me of a wet juicy booger!

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #3,190 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'd jump on any opportunity to change to color to look less like a bird turd (albeit a sparkly one).
tongue.gif

I am glad you said it first before I did
smile.gif

At any rate, slowth, go for it, get new ones done - I would!

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3,191 of 3,960
no wonder I received so little oohs and aahs when I first posted pics up when I first got it! haha

looks like i'll be sending them back again... But prob after i get back from HK in a couple weeks. A whole wk in a foreign land without in ears.. that'll be torture..

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #3,192 of 3,960
hi guys! ive been busy for the past few weeks so i havent been updated on this thread. woah 320 pages already!
eek.gif

anyway i sent my superfreqs back to the US because of a "sound" issue.
now im contemplating on upgrading to an MM crossover since based from my brief listening time with my superfreqs (with ML crossover), i find the highs recessed and not too sparkly enough. i had to EQ the treble almost all the way up on my Cowon D2 just to compensate. can the MM crossover fix this? how does the highs differ between the ML and MM crossover?

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #3,193 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranoel4190 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys! ive been busy for the past few weeks so i havent been updated on this thread. woah 320 pages already!
eek.gif

anyway i sent my superfreqs back to the US because of a "sound" issue.
now im contemplating on upgrading to an MM crossover since based from my brief listening time with my superfreqs (with ML crossover), i find the highs recessed and not too sparkly enough. i had to EQ the treble almost all the way up on my Cowon D2 just to compensate. can the MM crossover fix this? how does the highs differ between the ML and MM crossover?

That has been my question since day one, but no answer, I htink that the abrupt way they roll off the highs at 16K is the main reason for the lack of the sparkling effect, I will try to talk with Todd on monday, to see what's going on, but for sure I will like ot get more out of them, that was the main reason I got them to get the perfect sound and customized just for my ears...

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #3,195 of 3,960
thanks bro.. yeah it's a real long journey... I'd like to trust people and I think I can trust Todd..
maybe he'll top up with other stuff....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back