The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #106 of 2,251
Btw, I found that they share the same drivers. Below are some descriptions by the local distributor of TFZ at my country:

"If you’ve poisoned by the gigantic 12mm Graphene driver of TFZ Exclusive King, don’t miss out the newly released Series 4 and My Love II which are also using the same drivers.

In simple, they are the “warm sound version” of Exclusive King. They’re also using the HiFi level nano-diaphragm that made of Graphene, titanium plated dome, dual crossover & dual magnetic circuit, N52 magnet unit...which can produce high resolution and crystal clear sound quality.
Compare to Exclusive King which is more like a “studio monitoring version”, Series 4 and My Love II sounds more musical, warmer and analog. They are more suitable for vocal and acoustic music, and able to represent the emotion of vocalist lively.

Series 4 is a same level product with King with different sound signature. My Love II is the simplified version of Series 4.
Both of them are using high quality 4-wires silver plated cable. Detachable design with 0.78mm connectors (same with CIEM). You still can improve and tune the sound by upgrading cable in the future."

Link to forum: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3953593/+120

Also, can't wait for a review from B9Scrambler about the Series 4!
Different efficiencies and impedances mean they are NOT the same drivers. Just the same driver design.

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #108 of 2,251
I've not delved past the Series 1 TFZ's but I love both my 1 and 1S models, IMO great bang for the buck and I rate them above my KZ's specifically TFZ house sound. I mean I have half dozen KZ's (ED9, ATE, ATR, ZN1 Mini, ZS3, ZST and the new ZS5) I really like but I just prefer the TFZ sound and have come close to pulling the trigger on the Black Chrome Series 4:rolling_eyes: Just have way to many iem's as it is now:scream:
As much as I like my ZST's I still prefer my matching Series 1's:wink:
Carbon Copies.JPG

Here's a recent shot and I was really surprised at just how good the Series 1S sounds with the inexpensive little Benjie T6!!
T6 S1s.JPG

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #109 of 2,251
Hey all, I'm on the lookout for a smooth IEM coming from the HiFiMAN RE-262. I dumped the 262 for being slightly shouty on occasion (1KHz spike). Thinking the Exclusive 3 might be a good replacement for now, although I'm not expecting anywhere near the same level of detail/resolution/texture. I just want a clean response with linear bass (don't mind somewhat boosted quantity), an upfront midrange that doesn't hide behind lower treble, and few to no treble spikes. Let me know if the E3 is a good choice for my needs I'd greatly appreciate it!

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #110 of 2,251
Just got the Exclusive 5 and a new X3iii.
upload_2017-8-21_18-13-8.png

Aug 23, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #113 of 2,251
I jumped on the MD for the King. At that price, couldn't resist. Will compare the King and the EX5 once I get it...

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #114 of 2,251
I got the Exclusive 5s today and I love them. Normally when I start listening to music I change my mind about what I want to listen to a couple of times before I settle down but these make whatever I put on sound so good that I've ended up listening to whole albums today even when I only intended to listen to a single tune for testing purposes. Lots of detail and really engaging soundstage - I'm not an old hand so please excuse my basic description. Plenty of bass but not overwhelming, great clarity across the range. Absolutely loved listening to Vivaldi with them earlier and I'm enjoying Dream Theater just as much right now.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #115 of 2,251
I feel the same way. Was listening to the Ex5 last night and just let the player randomize and never once advanced it along. Sounding really nice. I secretly hoped they would sound this good. I plan to take them on a long hike tomorrow so I should get even a better sense of how they preform. So far, a really nice piece.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #116 of 2,251
Just got the Ex5s from Massdrop in the pretty blue. Running from an iPhone through a Capri lightning cable with DAC and amp that also happened to arrive today.

First impressions are positive. These are aesthetically very appealing. They are small and comfortable, despite the weight from the metal housings. The included single-flange silicone tips included in the package did not give a good fit for me, but the bi-flanged tips are better. The bass has a nice thump to it, without being excessive. The highs are a bit sharp for my tastes, but not enough to be fatiguing....... will try the foam tips later to see if they resolve this. The vocals are a tad recessed.

I prefer the more neutral Noble x Massdrop IEMs, but those were also ~4x the price. I think people who enjoy KZ's IEMs (and don't mind paying >$20 for something) :wink: will like these as well; they are a definite upgrade from the ZSTs and similar.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #117 of 2,251
I prefer the more neutral Noble x Massdrop IEMs, but those were also ~4x the price. I think people who enjoy KZ's IEMs (and don't mind paying >$20 for something) :wink: will like these as well; they are a definite upgrade from the ZSTs and similar.

That was brutal but it made me laugh a bit. Although I don't mind buying a more expensive earphone I've found myself kind of lost in the world of $20ish Chi-fi. For me, the great thing about them is they are a much more affordable way to experience a lot of different sound signatures from which its easier to find a better alternative should you choose to seek one in the future. As someone who enjoys the ZST, the EX5s have been on my radar for quite a bit but I decided to go for the Fiio F9 first. But thanks for your input!

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #118 of 2,251
That was brutal but it made me laugh a bit. Although I don't mind buying a more expensive earphone I've found myself kind of lost in the world of $20ish Chi-fi. For me, the great thing about them is they are a much more affordable way to experience a lot of different sound signatures from which its easier to find a better alternative should you choose to seek one in the future. As someone who enjoys the ZST, the EX5s have been on my radar for quite a bit but I decided to go for the Fiio F9 first. But thanks for your input!
No offense (just a little ribbing) intended, I am also fascinated with Chi-fi....... seems like a little box wrapped in layers and layers of packing tape graces my mailbox at least once or twice a week.

It does make me giggle when people in the KZ thread are debating about which of two $5 earphones to buy. In the budget earbuds thread, someone was asking if the Vidos (which are on sale for $1.98) are over-hyped. :rolling_eyes:

The ZSTs are too bright for me; if not for the treble I'd like them a lot. The EX5s are similar; def something to keep on your radar. :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #119 of 2,251
No offense (just a little ribbing) intended, I am also fascinated with Chi-fi....... seems like a little box wrapped in layers and layers of packing tape graces my mailbox at least once or twice a week.

It does make me giggle when people in the KZ thread are debating about which of two $5 earphones to buy. In the budget earbuds thread, someone was asking if the Vidos (which are on sale for $1.98) are over-hyped. :rolling_eyes:

The ZSTs are too bright for me; if not for the treble I'd like them a lot. The EX5s are similar; def something to keep on your radar. :)

I think you're entirely spot on with your opinion and I appreciate the friendly humor which, to be frank, is a bit uncommon in this community. I'm afraid I won't get a chance to listen to the EX5s any time soon, at least not within the next couple of months. I will keep an eye on them for sure but I think my next few months of listening will be mostly dedicated to the Fiio F9 and the Vsonic GR07 and VSD3S (which is currently around 25 euros on Aliexpress, a 50ish% discount!).

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #120 of 2,251
Did a little A/B'ing between my EX5s and the KZ ZS5s yesterday. I wouldn't say that one is "better" than the other since the sound signatures and what's inside of them are so different.

Some impressions:
  • You can really hear how the BA affects the treble on the ZS5 sound when you compare it to the dynamic driver IEM of the Ex5. There's quite a bit more texture to the sound up top on the ZS5. That's not to say that the Ex5 doesn't have good treble extension, it's just different. If you like the sound of a BA you'll say the ZS5 has more "Sparkle". If you don't like the sound of a BA you would probably say the treble on the KZ sounds "Artificial".
  • When it comes to bass, the Ex5 is fuller and warmer with more detail. However, some who don't care for as much bottom end may complain about the mid-bass. While there's not a hump, and there's no bleed, it's more present in the sound. The KZ actually has a little better sub-bass extension than the Ex5, but less bass presence overall. However I can see where a non basshead might say the KZ has "More bass" due to the extra air movement on the really low sub-bass hits. One other thing to note on the KZ. From time to time there is some distortion that pops up in the bass, almost like the buzzing from some driver flex.
  • The mids are the only place where I would say the Ex5 actually "beats" the KZ. The Ex5 has a fullness and warmth that makes listening to vocal tracks so relaxing. The KZ on the other hand has recessed "hollowness" to the sound in the middle of the spectrum. It's almost as though the crossover was set too far to the bottom on the dynamics and the top on the BAs.
  • Both IEMs have above average soundstage. The ZS5 has slight edge on separation, but I believe that should be expected when comparing a single driver to multiple drivers. However, that separation is exaggerated in some tracks by KZ's lack of fullness in the midrange. It's at that point in the A/B that you realize it's not separation, it's the KZ not faithfully reproducing the sound. I believe that also affects people's perception of the soundstage and why some say the ZS5 sounds almost "holographic". The lack of mids can make things seem further away.
Outcome: After all was said and done, I ended up putting my TFZ Ex5s back in for the rest of the day. They're just nicer to listen to. Fuller, warmer, more detailed across the whole spectrum, and physically more comfortable to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back