The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #76 of 2,251
I never tried those high tier ones, but I think you basically get what you pay for, as the King has one of the best details in its price range, but up the budget and you get better stuff obviously. Also depends on your source, if you only use a normal smartphone to drive the iem, or just listen to songs of normal spotify quality, then you might not even need that high-tiered. Personally, when I tried the King after trying out some other iem of the same price range, I don't get that WOW feel like when I tried my VE Monk+, but still really impressed with its details and aggressiveness, only thing holding me back is my slight treble sensitivity when the cymbals hit but that's just personal preference.
I honestly am leaning towards the E5 but I hear they benefit from amping which will be no problem as I have a Elemental Watson. I hear texture in the bass and vocals is much better on the E5 compared to the king, wouldn't that make the E5 maybe a tad more superior if it can bring out that extra sweetness in the music? With the New Primacy I use my HTC 10 and poweramp alpha, I've done a few eq tweaks and also amped it up with the Elemental Watson and I am simply amazed by how much it scales. I have listened to the Andromeda and I will say that in my opinion the New Primacy is 60-70% of the Andromeda in overall clarity but bass texture and slam is better on the New Primacy while overall detail retrieval, clarity and soundstage is better on the Andromeda. But in my opinion and tastes I found my self enjoying the New Primacy more. With classic rock and metal yes the Andromeda was the clear winner and to my liking a tad more, but the New primacy was no slouch and really shows and proves what iem companies can truly do. I don't know why but I have a feeling that the TFZ E5 is capable of something mind blowing with the right source and proper amping.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #77 of 2,251
I honestly am leaning towards the E5 but I hear they benefit from amping which will be no problem as I have a Elemental Watson. I hear texture in the bass and vocals is much better on the E5 compared to the king, wouldn't that make the E5 maybe a tad more superior if it can bring out that extra sweetness in the music? With the New Primacy I use my HTC 10 and poweramp alpha, I've done a few eq tweaks and also amped it up with the Elemental Watson and I am simply amazed by how much it scales. I have listened to the Andromeda and I will say that in my opinion the New Primacy is 60-70% of the Andromeda in overall clarity but bass texture and slam is better on the New Primacy while overall detail retrieval, clarity and soundstage is better on the Andromeda. But in my opinion and tastes I found my self enjoying the New Primacy more. With classic rock and metal yes the Andromeda was the clear winner and to my liking a tad more, but the New primacy was no slouch and really shows and proves what iem companies can truly do. I don't know why but I have a feeling that the TFZ E5 is capable of something mind blowing with the right source and proper amping.
I only have an Xperia ZR as a source so I couldn't really comment on that..... However, there are reviews saying that the Ex5 is a bit power hungry and might be able to benefit from better sources. I'll just leave those that do have both to comment on whether it's true.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #79 of 2,251
I only have an Xperia ZR as a source so I couldn't really comment on that..... However, there are reviews saying that the Ex5 is a bit power hungry and might be able to benefit from better sources. I'll just leave those that do have both to comment on whether it's true.

Well, I plan to run the Ex 5 through my X5iii and A5 amp. That should be more than enough power to drive them to their capabilities. I will let you know once I get them.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #80 of 2,251
Well, I plan to run the Ex 5 through my X5iii and A5 amp. That should be more than enough power to drive them to their capabilities. I will let you know once I get them.
Would you be able to compare them to the Campfire Audio Lyra & Jupiter, Ibasso IT03 and Noble Massdrop X & maybe a few other iems in your inventory please :)

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #82 of 2,251
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #83 of 2,251
I sure can. Would love to put something out there once I get a proper test done.

Take a look at a comparison I did when I got the Periodic Audio Be.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/periodic-audio-iems-mg-ti-be.840451/page-23

Let me know what you think...
They seem very interesting and a iem that I actually may enjoy, I wouldnt mind something with a bit more low end, I will admit some times a lil bit of a basshead awakens in me, can't wait to hear what you think of the E5

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #84 of 2,251
They seem very interesting and a iem that I actually may enjoy, I wouldnt mind something with a bit more low end, I will admit some times a lil bit of a basshead awakens in me, can't wait to hear what you think of the E5
Just something to tell you as a user of Ex5, the Ex5 has quite a good amount of bass, just not sure if it's bassy enough for your basshead needs. For me, I listen to some J-rock, hard rock, and indie rock, and I find the bass just enough for me, where the King does not satisfy my bass needs even though I really like how detailed it is.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #85 of 2,251
Just something to tell you as a user of Ex5, the Ex5 has quite a good amount of bass, just not sure if it's bassy enough for your basshead needs. For me, I listen to some J-rock, hard rock, and indie rock, and I find the bass just enough for me, where the King does not satisfy my bass needs even though I really like how detailed it is.
Ohhh I wouldn't call my self a dedicate basshead, I prefer quality over quantity, but I dont mind some heavy hitting bass haha :). But quality to me is much more important than quantity which is why I love the Orivety New Primacy.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #86 of 2,251
Ohhh I wouldn't call my self a dedicate basshead, I prefer quality over quantity, but I dont mind some heavy hitting bass haha :). But quality to me is much more important than quantity which is why I love the Orivety New Primacy.
I don't really know how to compare the quality of bass, but I do find it to have quite a tight bass with sub bass extension. My only comparison that is considered bassy is my Rock Zircon, but that's like so many price point below that I can't really make a fair comparison.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #88 of 2,251
Anyone here can compare the E5 with the original TFZ5?
They're vastly different IEMs. Original Series 5 and 5s are very bassy iems though still quite clear and detailed, while the Exclusive Series are much brighter, treble-centric tuning.
Also design is different in that the original Series have bigger housing and non-detachable cables (though I heard that detachable versions might be coming soon with the same tuning), while the Exclusive series excluding the King has a much smaller housing with detachable 0.78mm 2-pin cable.

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #89 of 2,251
They're vastly different IEMs. Original Series 5 and 5s are very bassy iems though still quite clear and detailed, while the Exclusive Series are much brighter, treble-centric tuning.
Also design is different in that the original Series have bigger housing and non-detachable cables (though I heard that detachable versions might be coming soon with the same tuning), while the Exclusive series excluding the King has a much smaller housing with detachable 0.78mm 2-pin cable.

Thanks. The E5 here seems to be the bassy of the lineup which is why I asked.
I don't have any of these, but the 1/3/5 look very sleek and comfortable.

So it sounds like the whole lineup can be brught and sibilant.. I guess the E5 just has extra bass but still very balanced.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #90 of 2,251
Thanks. The E5 here seems to be the bassy of the lineup which is why I asked.
I don't have any of these, but the 1/3/5 look very sleek and comfortable.

So it sounds like the whole lineup can be brught and sibilant.. I guess the E5 just has extra bass but still very balanced.
I wouldn't say the E5 is sibilant, just a bright and treble-centric signature but warmer and bassier than the King. It's quite a comfortable design, but the E5 is all-metal construct so it's quite heavy actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back