The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #61 of 2,251
Glad to hear you're enjoying the ZS5. The King would be an upgrade, though a different experience; more forward mids, lowered bass quantity, more treble sparkle, improved sound stage and imaging. I listen to a ton of electronic, mostly liquid d'n'b, and while the King certainly pairs well with the genre the 5 is a bit more appropriate imo. It has a slightly darker and more weighty presentation that really suits the random jazz mixes I sometimes listen to while gaming, and especially EDM. It's performance is also nearly on par with the King everywhere else. I don't think you'd be disappointed with whatever you chose.
Just curious: what jazz mix do you use and what kind of games do you play with the mix?

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #62 of 2,251
Just curious: what jazz mix do you use and what kind of games do you play with the mix?

I'll just hop onto youtube or Soundcloud and pick a random 1hr+ long mix. Not serious listening obviously. I just find it nice to zone out to. I do the same thing with EDM mixes, hence my deep appreciation of the SubSil3nt Podcast. Lately I've been playing League of Legends, World of Tanks, Dirt Rally, and the Wipeout Omega Collection (HIGHLY recommended for Wipeout fans). Left 4 Dead 2 also makes it's way into the rotation every once in a while.

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #64 of 2,251
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #65 of 2,251
Sorry folks... enjoying the TFZ Ex5 too much to take the time to do a review :D

Honestly, I haven't truly enjoyed a headphone this much since....hmm... Probably since I got my first CIEMs.

These are so comfy, seal instantly (no fidgeting), and have a sound sig almost custom tailored to me.

I'm in love.

That's pretty much how I feel about them. They're awesome. :beerchug:

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #66 of 2,251
Thank you for your words, @B9Scrambler and @bjaardker. I'm really excited with this new world of IEMs. A cheap ZS5 beats my other headphones by miles (Grado Sr60, Audio Technica ath-m50x, Beyerdynamics Dt 770, 250ohm and Phillips Fidelio X2). With the exception of the Beyers, the rest are very poor on detail and clarity. So, when I received some days ago the ZS5 I instantly got amazed. Mainly, is on cymbals and overdubbed voices where I've discovered new sounds of albums I knew by heart.

What kind of music have you tried with the TFZ Ex5?

Have a great day, friends :)

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #67 of 2,251
I'll just hop onto youtube or Soundcloud and pick a random 1hr+ long mix. Not serious listening obviously. I just find it nice to zone out to. I do the same thing with EDM mixes, hence my deep appreciation of the SubSil3nt Podcast. Lately I've been playing League of Legends, World of Tanks, Dirt Rally, and the Wipeout Omega Collection (HIGHLY recommended for Wipeout fans). Left 4 Dead 2 also makes it's way into the rotation every once in a while.
Thanks for the share! I mostly play FPS so thinking of finding some good mixes to play with.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #68 of 2,251
So I have the Exclusive 5 for a few days now and have really enjoyed its sound, particularly complex pieces in free jazz where its instrument separation and clarity has done well (The King still does it better though, but I prefer Ex5 warmer tone).
However, there's a problem: I can't seem to wear them more than an hour as my ears will feel sore after prolonged listening. It is not listening fatigue, just some parts of my ears feeling sore, which I've never felt with other iems. Not sure whether it is the weight, the wide nozzles, the ear tips or the placement of the nozzle that's causing this....
So the question is: does anyone have any idea what could have caused it? And maybe some ways to solve it or maybe at least alleviate it?

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #69 of 2,251
Considering the Ex 5, the King and the Simgot EN700 Bass. Reading through the reviews to see sound details. I prefer a warmer sound so leaning towards the Ex 5...anyone have any thoughts between these three?

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #70 of 2,251
Hello I need help, I am looking at all the TFZ series and am interested. I want the iem which has the best detail retrieval of the whole lot, I am also considering the higher priced TFZ iems but haven't seen much info on them... So which do you guys think would be the best all rounder? I listen to a wide variety of genres but I already own a pair of Fidelio X2 & Oriveti New Primacy

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #71 of 2,251
Hello I need help, I am looking at all the TFZ series and am interested. I want the iem which has the best detail retrieval of the whole lot, I am also considering the higher priced TFZ iems but haven't seen much info on them... So which do you guys think would be the best all rounder? I listen to a wide variety of genres but I already own a pair of Fidelio X2 & Oriveti New Primacy
General consensus is that the TFZ King is the most detailed and clear of all their lineup (I think so too), while personally I think the Exclusive 5 a close second but with a warmer tuning. I've tried out the Series 4 and My Love II during a convention here in Malaysia and they seems to be warmer versions of the King as well with almost on par detail retrieval, but I've only got like about 30 minutes each of audition time so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #72 of 2,251
I am leaning towards the Exclusive 5 as it seems to be the all rounder. How does the King compare to high tier iems such as the Westone W40, Shure Se846 and CA Andromeda. I know its a unfair comparison but I want a iem that wont break the bank but give mind blowing resolution and detail for the price. I am currently impressed with the New Primacy but I am wondering if I can surpass it

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #73 of 2,251
I just purchased a blue EX 5. Looking forward to what it sounds like. I also bought the Simgot EN700 Bass so I can compare the 2.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #74 of 2,251
I am leaning towards the Exclusive 5 as it seems to be the all rounder. How does the King compare to high tier iems such as the Westone W40, Shure Se846 and CA Andromeda. I know its a unfair comparison but I want a iem that wont break the bank but give mind blowing resolution and detail for the price. I am currently impressed with the New Primacy but I am wondering if I can surpass it
I never tried those high tier ones, but I think you basically get what you pay for, as the King has one of the best details in its price range, but up the budget and you get better stuff obviously. Also depends on your source, if you only use a normal smartphone to drive the iem, or just listen to songs of normal spotify quality, then you might not even need that high-tiered. Personally, when I tried the King after trying out some other iem of the same price range, I don't get that WOW feel like when I tried my VE Monk+, but still really impressed with its details and aggressiveness, only thing holding me back is my slight treble sensitivity when the cymbals hit but that's just personal preference.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #75 of 2,251
Hi all! I am a newbie in the IEM world and recently I´ve acquired the ZS5 and I am really enjoying them. for what they cost me they have an amazing level of detail and clarity. Basically, I listen to jazz, classical and electronic music (IDM). I've read very good reviews about the level of detail of TFZ King and I would like you to know is somebody could share experiences with those musical genres. I suppose they will be much better than the ZS5, don't they?

Thank you very much. Have a great day, friends :)
Just like B9Scrambler said, it is good for Jazz and Classical, their Separation is so good with the only single driver in this price range. Well, in term of EDM, I don't really recommend use King, they do sound amazing, but the bass is light weight for EDM, it doesn't bring up the feel at all, if you want to listen EDM, I prefer TFZ Series 5S, which currently out of stock, they going to upgrade with a detachable cable version in near future, maybe...2 months? Series 5s won't let you down if want listen EDM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back