The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #2,251 of 2,251
There's apparently a TFZ Queen 2023 version:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006052509577.html

Not sure if anyone dares to pull the trigger haha.
Done, arrived today and i am listening since about 45 minutes on 2 sources and various Tracks, largely chemical bothers and complex layered string orchestra so far.

First impressions/ quick review of the TFZ Queen 2023:

Buying:
Sells on Aliexpress and elsewhere for 12-15 Euro.

Comes in a cardbord box, inside no plastic mould, earphones and attached cable ( with microphone button) in a plastic ziploc bag ( reusable as a earphone bag if you have nothing better lying around), a manual, quality check slip and 3x2 silicon tips.

Available in one version only, white with mic.

Eartips supplied are same as KZ D-Fi and one of the sets with Tangzu Princess ) similar but softer walls than the Tenmak Whirlwinds) - as you will have guessed the nozzle is a 4mm diameter with a good lenght extension, manufactured in what appears to be brass material with a grill ( not dampening).

Tip rolling choice:

I attached the new style white KZ tips, those and the old KZ starline are my preferred choice as starting point.

Listening to Music:

Sound:
Natural, detailed sound with a solid little bump in the bass region.

Subbass extends well and remains controlled as well as detailed, bass then has a boost whihc leads to a almost holomorphically tangible sound, still not muddy/ bloated or loosing detail resolution.

Mids are recessed, natural sound.

Upper mids/ high frquencies are apparently controlled separately, treble is sparkly and clear - not bright or metallic;
Due to this "overlay" the Queen almost feelslike an 1+1 hybrid, highs and the mids resolve nice in concurrence even on denser tracks.

Sound field is airy, depth could be more, height is good, width is significant.
Positioning of individual instruments is good in the general direction, precise positioning is variable to congestion of the individual track and of course the number of tracks in original source.

Hardware:

- The driver shell looks a lot like the TFZ Life 2022, smaller diameter and other driver compound but same design and probably same crossover.

- Cable looks like a candy cable, it does the trick and works as it should - not exchangeable. At least not tangly and the microphone button ( cannot be opted out) is not in the way, i haven´t tested its functionality or microphone quality.

- Built quality and the shell assembly - shell looks like a KZ shell, seize comparable to ESX pro ( a bit smaller than their hybrids and a bit larger than a CCA CRA) - is good, it is plastic but has no marks and the asembly quality is top notch with not even tiny panel gaps, no visible excess glue and all wire routed tidily.

Contextual info:

In China these are said to be a top choice in the 1000 Yuan priceband (around 9,50 Euro) on street markets.

Personal Conclusion:

I do find they beat the otherwise similar CCA CRA and the Tanchjim Zero, particularly those looking for natural reproduction, plum but not boomy bass, clear but not fatiguing treble pesented in a wide open airy ambience - favourable to most kind of concert stage instrumental music ( and electronic/ EMB as well as japan-Pop) should take a look :)

(My "buyer remorse test" is to ask myself if i would give them away/ return them, after testing, for a full refund if such was on offer.
I wouldn´t and rather keep them.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back