The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #32 of 787
I am getting curious just as to what the WASAPI is for? What does it do? Microsoft description is quite little vague

I will have the Schiit Modi/Magni soon and will use it with my laptop running foobar

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #33 of 787
Exclusive access to your audio interface.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #35 of 787
just wait until PowerAmp releases a win7 version..they are so dumb porting it to other portables first. 

I've been a winamp guy, a foobar guy, now I hate em all except Power AMP...Exact Audio Copy (EAC) can do what are describing....it gets the CD info not just the ID tags. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #37 of 787
Quote:
WASAPI is a new audio output method introduced in Windows Vista; among other things, it provides an exclusive mode that allows applications to take full control over soundcard's resources (muting any sounds played by other applications) and play unaltered bitstream without passing it through the Windows mixer.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #38 of 787
I wouldn't post on a help thread if I didn't try to first understand what I am trying to understand. I wondered why it was an extension for foobar when it was already part of Windows OS which is why I got curious as to what it is and how it may affect my system. Quite a dick move to just give a definition.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #39 of 787
You could have written that you read the wiki page. Many people that post here do in fact post question before doing research themselves.

The default sound API is DirectSound (DS) which on >Vista is implemented as a layer above WASPI shared mode. All sounds form all applications will be mixed together. For this to work there has to be a common format, which is configurable in the control panel. If there's a mismatch the Windows audio engine (aka Mixer) will resampler/requantize.

WASAPI exclusive mode on the other hand gives exclusive access and therefore the application can choose the format that matches the format of the track that is playing (e.g. 16/44.1 or 24/96 ..). To use WASAPI exclusive you need the component. I guess it will be built into foobar2000 in future versions.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #40 of 787
cool I didn't knew windows uses a mixer like that

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #41 of 787
I have searched around on how to get my date added info from itunes into foobar I have found
this
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=97728
this
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=77767
and this
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=71536&st=0&p=631310&#entry631310

I don't know if it just because I am overtired, or just not as savvy as I thought I was, but I cannot figure out what they are telling me to do. I seems as though all the solutions are just a do this and you know the rest kind of deal. Problem is I don't know the rest. Can anybody give me a simple step by step guide on how to do this. Also anytime I try to open the itunes library.xml it crashes what ever editor I am in. I really like the layout, quality and lite-ness of foobar but this is keeping me from using it

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #42 of 787
I have an issue with facets/foobar I didn't have on my last install. My songs are being displayed individually, and aren't being grouped into their respective albums (I get the same album picture displayed 20 times instead of once). My albums are in folders so that's not an issue.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #43 of 787
I have an issue with facets/foobar I didn't have on my last install. My songs are being displayed individually, and aren't being grouped into their respective albums (I get the same album picture displayed 20 times instead of once). My albums are in folders so that's not an issue.

Could you post a screenshot?

Also, if I recall correctly, facets doesn't have a grouping function in any case, so you may be confusing it with a different playlist display component.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #44 of 787
Maybe it was Columns UI, i'll report back on that.
qGKTN.png

EDIT: I also have playback statistics. I cannot get Columns UI to work with Facets, so I doubt that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back