The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
May 18, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #481 of 787
Okay I actually have a question! this has stumped me. Is there a way to force exclusive in Foobar while using a 3RD party ASIO driver? AFAIK, no but I do not know everything.
I honestly did not mean to be a jerk. I hope I explained above. I literally do not know what I am doing anymore. So I was just saying I am like the last person to ask.
I don't know your equipemt and setup, and I'm not a power-user as well, but these links helped me a lot to understand the detailed configuration of Foobar 2000.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/
Sorry if you know them already.

May 18, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #482 of 787
I did not know those. Thank you I am pretty sure the issue is the DACS driver. I used to be able to modify the ini or whatever but not up to it now. Not a huge deal if I do not play any other sounds but not exactly bit perfect either I gather.

May 23, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #483 of 787
How hard is it to get foobar to play back hi-res files? I recently tried it and out of curiosity I measured the output of my soundcard and to my surprise it didn't have any content over ~20kHz.
After that I made some sine sweep that goes to like 80kHz to make 100% sure there's going to be high frequency content. In the output menu I tried using the "primary sound driver" which cut off everything over ~20kHz and "wasapi (event)" which caused aliasing. I have the spectrum of how the sweep should look like, as well as the spectrum of the actual analog output if that could help.

My soundcard's (asus xonar essence stx which according to foobar's FAQ apparently doesn't work very well) sample rate is set to 192kHz. I'm also using windows 10.

Basically my question is, how to make sure that everything is set right on foobar so I can move to the soundcard or windows or whatever else that could cause this problem?

May 23, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #484 of 787
How hard is it to get foobar to play back hi-res files? I recently tried it and out of curiosity I measured the output of my soundcard and to my surprise it didn't have any content over ~20kHz.
After that I made some sine sweep that goes to like 80kHz to make 100% sure there's going to be high frequency content. In the output menu I tried using the "primary sound driver" which cut off everything over ~20kHz and "wasapi (event)" which caused aliasing. I have the spectrum of how the sweep should look like, as well as the spectrum of the actual analog output if that could help.

My soundcard's (asus xonar essence stx which according to foobar's FAQ apparently doesn't work very well) sample rate is set to 192kHz. I'm also using windows 10.

Basically my question is, how to make sure that everything is set right on foobar so I can move to the soundcard or windows or whatever else that could cause this problem?

I would try to use KS or ASIO and see what happens. I typically use KS for all of my stuff and have never had a problem. I mean there isn't a good way to check most dacs but my dragonfly always lights up correctly.

How are you measuring the output? I would like to try this. I have the same card but I typically just use the optical out into my DAC for games/web browser audio and use the direct USB connection for my DAC when I play music from foobar.

Let me know how to test the output and I can check to see if I can get mine working.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #485 of 787
I would try to use KS or ASIO and see what happens. I typically use KS for all of my stuff and have never had a problem. I mean there isn't a good way to check most dacs but my dragonfly always lights up correctly.

How are you measuring the output? I would like to try this. I have the same card but I typically just use the optical out into my DAC for games/web browser audio and use the direct USB connection for my DAC when I play music from foobar.

Let me know how to test the output and I can check to see if I can get mine working.

I connected the headphone out where my mic normally goes, I think its called the line in. I used audacity for the actual recording (project sample rate set to 192kHz as well) and set the level in a way I would get a good SNR but no clipping. I then exported the file, and used SPEK to check its spectrum.
Now, the A/D converter after the line in might have caused the aliasing but I also have an analog oscilloscope that I used to check what's on the output and it confirmed the sine sweep either cuts out, or start "wrapping" around 20kHz and instead of the frequency going upward, it goes down.
Point is, I know for a fact my output is already bad and it's not just the recording that messes up the signal.

I'll try and see what happens if I use KS or ASIO.

May 23, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #486 of 787
With Kernel Streaming I got aliasing, ASIO just cut off everything around ~20kHz.

I just checked both with the scope as well and it seems ASIO works well for the output, however there's probably a filter somewhere in the line in stage that cuts offf everything after 20kHz.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #487 of 787

I have no issues with my stxII or had any with my ST
But since you select "primary sound driver" you are trying to go through the windows driver but that one needs to be configured first!
Basicly ALL possible outputs in W10 need to be configured (except for asio i gues)
So tell windows the xonar essence is capable of running 192K
ax001i.jpg

show_picture.pl

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #488 of 787
With Kernel Streaming I got aliasing, ASIO just cut off everything around ~20kHz.

I just checked both with the scope as well and it seems ASIO works well for the output, however there's probably a filter somewhere in the line in stage that cuts offf everything after 20kHz.
Am I wrong, or was kernal done away with since Windows 7? I thought WASAPI replaced kernal. Meanwhile, I use asio, my old SB card can be configured for 96k. But, my DAC goes as high as the content from USB. Hope some of this helps.

May 23, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #489 of 787
But since you select "primary sound driver" you are trying to go through the windows driver but that one needs to be configured first!
Basicly ALL possible outputs in W10 need to be configured (except for asio i gues)
So tell windows the xonar essence is capable of running 192K

Oh, I haven't done that yet. That probably caused pretty much all my problems.

EDIT: I just did it and for the inputs as well. I get aliasing with the primary sound driver this time with the line in and the scope as well.

With ASIO it seems the output is good, but if I connect it to the line in, it cuts out everything over 20kHz (no aliasing with it tough). I'm not sure could the sound card, at least in theory, capture frequencies over20kHz?

Should I move to the STX thread? It seems like this doesn't really have to do much with foobar.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #490 of 787
I have got a smaller problem in Foobar, I wonder if anyone can help.

When I start to skip tracks relatively quickly, or skip bigger sections more often in a track, I start to hear loud or less loud pops. Sounds like a small electric shock to the drivers in the headphones which is a bit worrying. If I don't skip tracks or skip only every now and then, I can't hear this 'pop' sound.

What I tried so far:
- using my laptop on battery only or without battery from main plug
- changing all the cables
- changing buffer size in Foobar (50ms, 1000ms, 2000ms, 18-20000ms etc)
- changing output data format (24/32 bit)
- changing from ASIO to WASAPI and backwards

Any more suggestions? I use a DELL laptop and Mojo.

May 27, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #491 of 787

When I start to skip tracks relatively quickly, or skip bigger sections more often in a track, I start to hear loud or less loud pops. Sounds like a small electric shock to the drivers in the headphones which is a bit worrying. If I don't skip tracks or skip only every now and then, I can't hear this 'pop' sound.

What I tried so far:

Do you hear the same pop sound with any other player, using the same asio or wasapi driver?

May 27, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #493 of 787

What I tried so far:

I'm going to assume that you don't have a bunch of DSPs activated on your computer(like some of the crap "enhancements" in the Windows properties of your DAC)? if you do try disabling those when playing music that could perhaps help reduce the occurrence of noises when changing songs.
else most likely what happens is something similar to when some DAC has to change the resolution to comply with a file of a different sample rate. there can be some little "tac" noise like an electrical switch going off. of course there is absolutely no danger for any gear, and it's absolutely not a sign that something is defective. remember that you're not discussing proper casual music playback, but you using rapid fire mode on your skip button or randomly moving the playback slider^_^. it's like actively trying to mess with the rather fragile connection between 2 devices which attempt to follow your successive demands almost in real time and start loading and playing each and every stuff you selected along the way. so a little noise here and there is really no big deal IMO(and I'm not sure it's foobar's fault).
if you had those in the music while doing nothing, then I'd worry and try to find the issue.

May 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #494 of 787
I could use a little bit of help, actually. I've been using a columnsUI-based skin called eola for a very long time and I've always been happy with it except for one thing: for albums in which I have both a FLAC and MP3 version of, it will put all of the songs together, resulting in playing each song twice.

I can sidestep this issue by sorting by folder (I have all FLAC album variants in a FLAC folder), but I feel like this is a work-around and that there is a solution out there. I've done some custom grouping which helps on the front end, but it doesn't stop Foobar from playing the MP3 version of the same song and bouncing back and forth between versions if I don't specify the FLAC folder. I know this sort of grouping is possible as I know other skins can do it, but I really like this skin save this single issue. I'm just not sure where to look anymore as I am new to the configuration and setup side of Foobar.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

May 28, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #495 of 787
On my system Wasapi is exclusive but not bit perfect. Asio is bit perfect but not exclusive. Instead of asking about trying to force it exclusive.... If I am not playing any other sounds, does having the program take exclusive access improve the sound quality in any way? If it does I am not sure what I can do to get it to take this Asio driver as exclusive. It does in Jriver but not in Foobar. I have no idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back