The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Dec 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #691 of 787
Does any one else have a problem with Foobar when you get a windows 8 update? Every time I get one I have to reconfigure foobar, the drivers seem to mall need to be reloaded.
I never had Windows 8. I'm a confirmed Windows hater but I have to admit, Windows 10 is pretty inoffensive. And that is saying a lot.

Of course it does weird things and sometimes drivers don't seem to work but 2 or three reboots seem to fix it. Luckily I have not had to reinstall any foobar components after an update.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #692 of 787
Trying to isolate if this is a problem with my SMSL SU-9, foobar settings or most likely both. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the SU-9 because I can't change the sample rate higher than 384khz in windows sound control panel.

In foobar, under SACD settings. the pcm samplerate is capped at 352800 but on the dac display its only showing a 44khz samplerate.

Also, another anomaly is that when swapping usb ports sometimes I get 705600hz max sample rate option but I can't get the dac to stream that, then that option usually disappears at some point. I've never seen a 768khz option on that drop down list since I've had this device.

I've tried on Audirvana and its able to upsample to dsd512 but asio is always capped.

This is a link to the collection of screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/rp5ah2w

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #693 of 787
Trying to isolate if this is a problem with my SMSL SU-9, foobar settings or most likely both. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the SU-9 because I can't change the sample rate higher than 384khz in windows sound control panel.

In foobar, under SACD settings. the pcm samplerate is capped at 352800 but on the dac display its only showing a 44khz samplerate.

Also, another anomaly is that when swapping usb ports sometimes I get 705600hz max sample rate option but I can't get the dac to stream that, then that option usually disappears at some point. I've never seen a 768khz option on that drop down list since I've had this device.

I've tried on Audirvana and its able to upsample to dsd512 but asio is always capped.

This is a link to the collection of screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/rp5ah2w
Hi, I looked at photos and would like to add some comments, I hope it will help.

1. 384kHz is limit of a Windows mixer (unless something has changed). This is normal but I see on the last screenshot 705.6kHz (which you say it happens sometimes and dissappears), strange.

2. Windows panel settings only is valid when you select DS driver as an output in Foobar (or a default Windows sound device). For the WASAPI (push and event) output this settings will be ignored as long as exclusive mode is enabled in Windows (which is done according to a pic). For the ASIO output it doesn't matter at all. For both WASAPI exclusive and ASIO Foobar will decide based on a file sampling rate or oversampling rate you do in the DSP section. Foobar do not display these values. It cannot be higher than a value returned by a device, when you try to play a higher sampling rate, Foobar will return error.

3. I don't know what you are trying to upsample PCM or DSD. It can be confusing:

For upsampling PCM you use some DSP add-on, settings is found in section: Components -> Playback -> DSP Manager.

For upsampling DSD, all DSP add-ons are bypassed, the only relevant is a dedicated SACD DSP Processor if enabled in SACD section (which is according to a pic). Upsampling settings for DSD Processor is found in a section: Components > Tools -> DSP Processor. I haven't used DSP Processor for a while, I think when enabled it takes over speed settings in SACD control panel. Please post screenshot of your DSP Processor settings.

4. I can't comment on the VST3 plug-in, but I have some suggestions:

- disable the option "DoP for Converter". It is not needed when you only play music.

- I think you have enabled 32-bit output on the Foobar, it might limit your maximum sample rates by a half. Check: Components -> Payback -> Output [Output Format]. You save available bandwith by selecting 24-bit format. DSD DoP format is only 24-bit.

- Try to play DSD256/512 encoded files, instead upsampling in Foobar. Just for testing what is wrong.

5. I am concern about unstable device parameters returned. Maybe Windows is testing maximum rate and overrides maximum values returned by a device when errors are detected. I know Windows can do it. Playing only 24-bit should can prevent this happening.

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #694 of 787
Hi, I looked at photos and would like to add some comments, I hope it will help.

1. 384kHz is limit of a Windows mixer (unless something has changed). This is normal but I see on the last screenshot 705.6kHz (which you say it happens sometimes and dissappears), strange.

2. Windows panel settings only is valid when you select DS driver as an output in Foobar (or a default Windows sound device). For the WASAPI (push and event) output this settings will be ignored as long as exclusive mode is enabled in Windows (which is done according to a pic). For the ASIO output it doesn't matter at all. For both WASAPI exclusive and ASIO Foobar will decide based on a file sampling rate or oversampling rate you do in the DSP section. Foobar do not display these values. It cannot be higher than a value returned by a device, when you try to play a higher sampling rate, Foobar will return error.

3. I don't know what you are trying to upsample PCM or DSD. It can be confusing:

For upsampling PCM you use some DSP add-on, settings is found in section: Components -> Playback -> DSP Manager.

For upsampling DSD, all DSP add-ons are bypassed, the only relevant is a dedicated SACD DSP Processor if enabled in SACD section (which is according to a pic). Upsampling settings for DSD Processor is found in a section: Components > Tools -> DSP Processor. I haven't used DSP Processor for a while, I think when enabled it takes over speed settings in SACD control panel. Please post screenshot of your DSP Processor settings.

4. I can't comment on the VST3 plug-in, but I have some suggestions:

- disable the option "DoP for Converter". It is not needed when you only play music.

- I think you have enabled 32-bit output on the Foobar, it might limit your maximum sample rates by a half. Check: Components -> Payback -> Output [Output Format]. You save available bandwith by selecting 24-bit format. DSD DoP format is only 24-bit.

- Try to play DSD256/512 encoded files, instead upsampling in Foobar. Just for testing what is wrong.

5. I am concern about unstable device parameters returned. Maybe Windows is testing maximum rate and overrides maximum values returned by a device when errors are detected. I know Windows can do it. Playing only 24-bit should can prevent this happening.

Thanks for chiming in, really appreciate it.

corgifall was helping me in the smsl su9 thread and took a screenshot of his setup and he's able to get 768khz in windows.

disabled dop for converter option, no change. Unable to change to 24 bit because the option is blocked.

Downloaded a dsd file and plays in foobar but the lcd display on the SU-9 doesnt show that its playing a dsd file. Its either at 44khz or 384khz.

I don't really use any DSPs except a skip silence dsp.
Ca1pture.PNG
Ca22pture.PNG
Captu3333re.PNG

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #695 of 787
@dougms3

Thanks for following all suggestions. And..... I think I found a problem. A clue is giving Foobar changelog for version 1.6.1:
  • Decoders are now made aware of output sample rate (from Windows Mixer settings) and can decode certain formats directly to the intended sample rate, skipping potential resampling steps.

Automatic output data format is only present when default output is selected. Why it is done with ASIO, I don't know (it is only needed to work with WASAPI shared access to avoid additional conversion in Windows - I even think ASIO output is broken in this release), but it is 32-bit, as you selected it in the Windows Sound Panel. It gave me a hint that your output device is wrong.

And it is wrong indeed. Your current output is ASIO:USB DAC ASIO

SACD component will only work properly when DSD output is selected.
Select this device: DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO

Now you will be able to chose output format manually, use 24-bit. DSD source will upsampled to DSDxxx and also PCM will be converted and played correctly as DSDxxx.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #696 of 787
@dougms3

Thanks for following all suggestions. And..... I think I found a problem. A clue is giving Foobar changelog for version 1.6.1:

Automatic output data format is only present when default output is selected. Why it is done with ASIO, I don't know (it is only needed to work with WASAPI shared access to avoid additional conversion in Windows - I even think ASIO output is broken in this release), but it is 32-bit, as you selected it in the Windows Sound Panel. It gave me a hint that your output device is wrong.

And it is wrong indeed. Your current output is ASIO:USB DAC ASIO

SACD component will only work properly when DSD output is selected.
Select this device: DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO

Now you will be able to chose output format manually, use 24-bit. DSD source will upsampled to DSDxxx and also PCM will be converted and played correctly as DSDxxx.

Thanks for your help.

I've tried everything you suggested, its not showing that its upsampling to DSD or PCM on my SU-9.

It just seems to be with foobar, I've tried with Audirvana and its upsampling to DSD512 and 768khz on the lcd.

Also sometimes windows seems to recognize 768khz in the sound control panel properties. Seems to appear here and there, haven't seen the 706khz option in a few days, don't know why it disappers.
2021-02-07.jpg

Doesn't say studio quality and test tone doesn't work, don't know what that means.

Maybe theres some emi or rf interference in the usb cable? I ordered a higher quality usb cable with shielding to make sure.

Gonna try AIMP or some other player and see if it works.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #697 of 787
@dougms3

Stop trying to setup 32-bit output in Windows. I asked to not to try a top speed 32-bit option at all. Not in the Windows sound panel, nor in Foobar. Once you do it, go back to 24-bit, unplug and re-plug device. Windows can detect error on the top speed and remove a top speed option, It will also affect Foobar. It is also doing something wrong, so don't activate bugs in Windows. When using ASIO, do not look there at all. Select one of the 24-bit option, reset device and forget Windows sound panel. Also don't make this device a default Windows sound device.

Now about Foobar, and it was a critical question.
Is your output device this?
- DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO
- Output format: 24-bit

I don't ask to try. I am asking to make it pernament. It is required to get a maximum speed working.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #698 of 787
@dougms3

Stop trying to setup 32-bit output in Windows. I asked to not to try a top speed 32-bit option at all. Not in the Windows sound panel, nor in Foobar. Once you do it, go back to 24-bit, unplug and re-plug device. Windows can detect error on the top speed and remove a top speed option, It will also affect Foobar. It is also doing something wrong, so don't activate bugs in Windows. When using ASIO, do not look there at all. Select one of the 24-bit option, reset device and forget Windows sound panel. Also don't make this device a default Windows sound device.

Now about Foobar, and it was a critical question.
Is your output device this?
- DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO
- Output format: 24-bit

I don't ask to try. I am asking to make it pernament. It is required to get a maximum speed working.

Lol ok.

Both foobar and windows are set to 24bit, should I reduce the sample rate too? Its at 384k.

I get this error when trying use - DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO output, "Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 1411200 Hz not supported ".

If I use - ASIO:USB DAC ASIO it will play music but only at 44khz, it won't upsample. Also now it won't play using the default device anymore. Same sample rate error.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #699 of 787
@dougms3

Thank you for testing as suggested. Now we've got a clue. Format1411200 Hz not supported, it means that DSD Processor is trying to output DSD512 and Foobar returns error, which suggest that setup is done properly and SU-9 do not support this format. It seems to be a true, as a maximum for SU-9 is DSD512.

I think you did already pickup my mistake, right? :)
No, there is no mistake. It is typical that when specsheet says a maximum supported is DSDxxx, but it is only valid for native DSD transfers. DoP transfers are typically limited to a half of a maximum speed, but they didn't say so and you are a victim of such marketing. In this case DSD256 DoP transfers is a maximum.

Replace all values on the DSD Processor settings page from DSD512 to DSD256, and I am sure, it will be working. If it doesn't, for testing try to play files you downloaded with DSD Processor disabled. DSD256 file should play, of course you should use the oputput DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO
:gs1000smile:

A reason is that Foobar only support DSD PoP playback. To get a native DSD transfers you have to install on the Windows PC a proxy device driver. It is called DSD Transcoder. How to do that, it is covered on the Foobar for Dummies webpage. I will not try to help on this matter, as my experience with DSD Transcoder is negative. I had strange occasional behaviour. It is not worth efforts, trust me.

TL;DR, You are stuck with DSD256 or use a different player that can do a native DSD transfers.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #700 of 787
@dougms3

Thank you for testing as suggested. Now we've got a clue. Format1411200 Hz not supported, it means that DSD Processor is trying to output DSD512 and Foobar returns error, which suggest that setup is done properly and SU-9 do not support this format. It seems to be a true, as a maximum for SU-9 is DSD512.

I think you did already pickup my mistake, right? :)
No, there is no mistake. It is typical that when specsheet says a maximum supported is DSDxxx, but it is only valid for native DSD transfers. DoP transfers are typically limited to a half of a maximum speed, but they didn't say so and you are a victim of such marketing. In this case DSD256 DoP transfers is a maximum.

Replace all values on the DSD Processor settings page from DSD512 to DSD256, and I am sure, it will be working. If it doesn't, for testing try to play files you downloaded with DSD Processor disabled. DSD256 file should play, of course you should use the oputput DSD:ASIO:USB DAC ASIO
:gs1000smile:

A reason is that Foobar only support DSD PoP playback. To get a native DSD transfers you have to install on the Windows PC a proxy device driver. It is called DSD Transcoder. How to do that, it is covered on the Foobar for Dummies webpage. I will not try to help on this matter, as my experience with DSD Transcoder is negative. I had strange occasional behaviour. It is not worth efforts, trust me.

TL;DR, You are stuck with DSD256 or use a different player that can do a native DSD transfers.

You are a genius.

It is working with DSD256. I downloaded DSD Transcoder and set all the configuration back to DSD512 and it is working with DSD : ASIO : DSD Transcoder (DoP/Native) output.

What a headache.

So this means SMSL SU-9 natively can only play up to DSD256?

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #701 of 787
So this means SMSL SU-9 natively can only play up to DSD256?
It means SMSL SU-9 natively can play up to DSD512, but DoP transfers are limited to DSD256.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #702 of 787
It means SMSL SU-9 natively can play up to DSD512, but DoP transfers are limited to DSD256.

Really enjoying the upsampling to dsd512, it is amazing.

Originally, I was thinking it might have been a hardware issue and when I contact Apos, they just ignored me bumped me around to 3 different reps then a week later said they don't know anything about software and just gave me smsl customer service email. Never buying anything from them ever again.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for all the help.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #703 of 787
Hi, does anyone use Foobar for mac here? How is it like on Catalina/Big Sur and is there any playlist sync functionality say to a microsd card? Couldn't find any info online.

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #705 of 787
Just dropping by to remind that foobar2000 has a convolver plugin, Impulse Response Convolver plugin, once installed, to EQ your headphone to Harman, just download the respective .wav file for your headphone from AutoEQ and load it into the plugin.
I downloaded the plugin, installed it, then downloaded the wav file. but I don't see how to load it into the plugin since there's no option for that - I tried dragging the wav file on the plugin, but got an error message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back