the Florida meet
Jun 30, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #151 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The tubes in use were the "Test" tubes supplied by Mr. Woo to make sure the heater circuit was working alright before putting in the premium NOS tubes he had supplied. Unfortunately matthew did not put the premium tubes in and we were using the $1.00 tubes all through the day.

I'm sorry I missed that. When I listened to it, frankly it didn't sound very good. I'd sure like to give it another shot if it bests the Rudistor in ANY way. I'd heard some things about this amp and I was surprised when it sounded as bad as it did. This explains it.
Oh well, my head is still spinning from all the stuff I got to hear.
BTW, Raul, what model Marantz was that we were listening to in the corner and what was the source?

Jun 30, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #152 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Gene, I am working on the possibility of a mini meet down here. When and if I figure out how to pull it off, I will let everyone know. A longshot, but worth a try.

LOL! Looks like you enjoyed it as much as I did. And I know there's a ton of things you wish you'd done but didn't get to.
Mike, please don't feel slighted if I don't come to this one. I think you'll understand.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #153 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I'm sorry I missed that. When I listened to it, frankly it didn't sound very good. I'd sure like to give it another shot if it bests the Rudistor in ANY way. I'd heard some things about this amp and I was surprised when it sounded as bad as it did. This explains it.
Oh well, my head is still spinning from all the stuff I got to hear.
BTW, Raul, what model Marantz was that we were listening to in the corner and what was the source?

It doesnt stand a chance with premium tubes against a Rudistor with cheapo tubes
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #155 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog

That was my Marantz SR-4000 a/v receiver. It's what powers my 650's at home. A home theater receiver, not a vintage integrated Marantz, but I wanted to bring it to the meet just to have more stuff to listen to, and to see if anyone would think its headphone out sounded close enough to the vintage Marantzes'. The player was the modded Toshiba. Later on we moved the Toshiba, and the Marantz receiver didn't get any more ears for the rest of the meet
frown.gif

Hey please feel free to criticize it so I feel more motivated to build or buy an amp
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #156 of 215
A general note I wanted to write with respect to any impressions people might have gathered from my Sacdmodded Sony. Matthew once told me the 6 ch outs are the real good sounding outputs, the stereo outs should be used just for a TV, not for critical audio. Very late in the meet I noticed my modded NS500V had been connected using the stereo outs, not the 6 ch outs. So the sound it was putting out wasn't its best for most of the meet then.

About headphones, I still didn't like too much the CD3000's, way too bright for me. I listened to the RS1's and sounded great, specially from the Blockhead. The blockhead had a very open and transparent sound, clean and powerful, it sounded awesome to me. Swapping between the Maestro and the Blockhead with different headphones (blockhead needed the balance-cabled phones) was swapping between very different but very beautiful, powerful, and pleasing sounds.

The AKG1000's with CD from the Marantz 8260 was too bright for me, but when playing an SACD it was wonderful. Other than a slight lack of bass though.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #157 of 215
Raul - 2CH Stereo is what you should use. 6 CH is NOT for headphone listening. What will you connect and how will you connect? Front? Rear? Sub? Everybody uses 2CH Stereo because that is the best for Headphones.

Cheers!

Jun 30, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #158 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
6 CH is NOT for headphone listening. What will you connect and how will you connect?

Of course it is, the front channels are that is, when playing CD's audio comes out through those in full range, as well through the stereo outs. When playing SACD in stereo mode, it flows out through those front channels same way. Not sure if it's a DAC difference or an output stage difference, whatever it is Matthew told me to always use the front channels of the 6ch outs when listening to stereo, regardless of source material.

Jun 30, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #159 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Of course it is, the front channels are that is, when playing CD's audio comes out through those in full range, as well through the stereo outs. When playing SACD in stereo mode, it flows out through those front channels same way. Not sure if it's a DAC difference or an output stage difference, whatever it is Matthew told me to always use the front channels of the 6ch outs when listening to stereo, regardless of source material.

That's very interesting, Raul, and I remember you mentioning it during the meet. Does this only apply to the modded units, or is it generally recommended whether modded or not? Also, is it only SACD that benefits, or redbook too? Would be a pain to be switching IC's back and forth for redbook and SACD - unless one has multiple inputs like Sugden, Stealth, some MAX's, etc.

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #160 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
That's very interesting, Raul, and I remember you mentioning it during the meet. Does this only apply to the modded units, or is it generally recommended whether modded or not? Also, is it only SACD that benefits, or redbook too? Would be a pain to be switching IC's back and forth for redbook and SACD - unless one has multiple inputs like Sugden, Stealth, some MAX's, etc.

I would also like to know the answer to this since I have a NS500V and have been using the 2 ch stereo out. Not the front 6 ch out.

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #161 of 215
Ok I searched my emails, this is a copy/paste of part of the email Matthew sent me back in February when I sent him my Sony NS500V for modding. Seems to apply to the stock as well, not just the modded one, because it's a difference in the DACs:

"The stereo mod is only the 5.1 front outputs. The separate stereo outs use a separate DAC that is much inferior to the one used on the 5.1 fronts as this output was intended for use with a TV set, not music."

So for stereo listening, regardless of source material always use the front channels of 6 ch outs, no need to switch, actually sound-quality wise it would be a detrimental alternative to switch to the stereo outs.

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #162 of 215
you guys need to go to the OSD or thru the sacd menu and select to 2 channel sacd mode - the you need to use the front left and right channel of the 6 channel outputs.

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #163 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
you guys need to go to the OSD or thru the sacd menu and select to 2 channel sacd mode - the you need to use the front left and right channel of the 6 channel outputs.

Actually with this Sony you can switch between multichannel SACD and stereo SACD using one button in the remote, very convenient, no need to use the OSD.

One clarification, you need to set the front speakers to large in the player configuration to get full audio range in the front channels. And for setting the size of the speakers in the player setup menus you do need the OSD. My player was properly configured with the speakers set to large, and it doesn't lose those settings when unplugging it, so at the meet we didn't need an OSD.

Jun 30, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #164 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Actually with this Sony you can switch between multichannel SACD and stereo SACD using one button in the remote, very convenient, no need to use the OSD.

Once clarification, you need to set the front speakers to large in the player to get full audio range in the front channels. And for setting the size of the speakers in the player setup menus you do need the OSD.

that is very convenient as older sacd player dont have that option.
true about setting the front speakers to large - and i dont know if you have to select anything about bass management.

Jun 30, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #165 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
that is very convenient as older sacd player dont have that option.
i dont know if you have to select anything about bass management.

Well in this Sony the speaker size selection is the bass management control of the player. If you set the front speakers to large there won't be any bass management engaged for them, so you'll get full range in the front channel outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back