The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
May 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #721 of 6,678
It's not the entire network that is more dampened, only 1 driver out of 3 is. 

The point you raised about the horn design is interesting. Do you still have your F111 there? What's the shape of the horn on yours (conical or exponential) since it's quite difficult to figure out which shape was utilized in the Parterre from the picture?

Quote:

Agreed. Didn't know the MH334 was more dampened, but that makes sense.

May 3, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #722 of 6,678
Quote:
  The point you raised about the horn design is interesting. Do you still have your F111 there? What's the shape of the horn on yours (conical or exponential) since it's quite difficult to figure out which shape was utilized in the Parterre from the picture?

The F111 has an exponential shape, but not purely. It's close to conical for 2/3 of the length, and flares out wide near the end. The Parterre seems to have a shorter horn from the pictures, but maybe the pictures are misleading. If it is shorter, though, that means that the cut-off frequency will be higher, so that probably means that they're just using the horn for really high frequency "airiness".

May 7, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #723 of 6,678
Can someone translate what these reviews say about the Monet? http://it.hatenablog.jp/archive/category/須山

May 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #724 of 6,678
Quote:
Can someone translate what these reviews say about the Monet? http://it.hatenablog.jp/archive/category/須山

Google translate gave me some weird stuff, shall wait for proficient headfi'ers to shed some light on it.

Nearly a week since I went to Jaben to order my fitears. + golden week and fujiya avic this weekend I think mine would prolly take close to 2 months 
redface.gif

May 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #725 of 6,678
Quote:

Here's the outline of what the review says; the reviewer is basically saying :

- A lot of bass quantity-wise, but it is extremely detailed. He mentioned that the level of detail is maintained even at high volumes. He thinks that bass is Monet's biggest strength.
- Dry and recessed mid-range, resulting in, in the reviewer's words, "instrument-like" vocals. Seems like mids is Monet's weakpoint.
- Peaky in the 10k-15k region. Edgy treble as a whole.
- As a whole the Monet has very good clarity and resolution. Instrument and channel separation is also good.
- Reviewer says that the Monet is not for people who like moderate amount of bass and ER-4-ish high-mids oriented sound.

Personally I think the review is spot-on; I had a chance to try Monet's demo unit and as far as I can remember it sounds like what is described in the review, except that I think its bass wasn't all that strong. Then again, I didn't spend a long time demoing it and I think I wasn't getting a good seal.

May 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #726 of 6,678
Quote:

- A lot of bass quantity-wise, but it is extremely detailed. He mentioned that the level of detail is maintained even at high volumes. He thinks that bass is Monet's biggest strength.
- Dry and recessed mid-range, resulting in, in the reviewer's words, "instrument-like" vocals. Seems like mids is Monet's weakpoint.
- As a whole the Monet has very good clarity and resolution. Instrument and channel separation is also good.
- Reviewer says that the Monet is not for people who like moderate amount of bass and ER-4-ish high-mids oriented sound.

Personally I think the review is spot-on; I had a chance to try Monet's demo unit and as far as I can remember it sounds like what is described in the review, except that I think its bass wasn't all that strong. Then again, I didn't spend a long time demoing it and I think I wasn't getting a good seal.

Thanks for translating~

...e... sigh... was hoping that bass wouldn't be that boomy. Bass isn't a personal fav for me. 

Recessed mids...aren't mids/vocals a huge part of the "anisong" genre this was tuned for? That disappoints me...

Edgy treble I can actually live with as the Ocharaku Flat 4s are pretty hot in the treble. I've gotten used to it now...and I think that's kind of bad, now alot of other phones sound dull...going to have to turn down the volume more often.

I guess I'll go see for myself when I go there to demo it (in approx one year). What places normally have FitEar demos?

This review has left me a little disappointed with the Monets. I'll probably get it just for the anime endorsement, but I really hope FitEar can introduce something new by next year.

Once again, thanks!

May 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #727 of 6,678
Quote:
Thanks for translating~

...e... sigh... was hoping that bass wouldn't be that boomy. Bass isn't a personal fav for me. 

Recessed mids...aren't mids/vocals a huge part of the "anisong" genre this was tuned for? That disappoints me...

Edgy treble I can actually live with as the Ocharaku Flat 4s are pretty hot in the treble. I've gotten used to it now...and I think that's kind of bad, now alot of other phones sound dull...going to have to turn down the volume more often.

I guess I'll go see for myself when I go there to demo it (in approx one year). What places normally have FitEar demos?

This review has left me a little disappointed with the Monets. I'll probably get it just for the anime endorsement, but I really hope FitEar can introduce something new by next year.

Once again, thanks!

There is actually some misunderstanding regarding the Monet, it is tuned for Anime, just not modern, but the Anime music of the 70s and 80s. Reading the translations, the voicing of the Monet seems rather spot on for that specific genre..............

May 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #728 of 6,678
There is actually some misunderstanding regarding the Monet, it is tuned for Anime, just not modern, but the Anime music of the 70s and 80s. Reading the translations, the voicing of the Monet seems rather spot on for that specific genre..............

Oh, i was on the understanding that it was tuned for current anisongs. Thanks for clarifying!

May 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #729 of 6,678

Thanks for the overview! :D

May 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #730 of 6,678
Quote:

^This. The review did mention this; I should've translated it as well.

Kinda makes me wonder what kind of Anime music Suyama-san was listening to when designing the Monet.

May 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #732 of 6,678
^Sadly, I began hating that song after hearing it too many times at to many different places.

May 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #733 of 6,678
Quote:
Perhaps...

Reminds me of my ol JH13s

Doraemon da bomb yo

redface.gif
redface.gif

PS: Was there a direct comparison to the 333s on the website?

There is actually some misunderstanding regarding the Monet, it is tuned for Anime, just not modern, but the Anime music of the 70s and 80s. Reading the translations, the voicing of the Monet seems rather spot on for that specific genre..............

May 11, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #734 of 6,678
Anyone heard the Parterre at the hpfes today?

May 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #735 of 6,678
Quote:

Taken from the Monet website:

Q. アニソンの中でも得意なジャンルはありますか? A. 基本的にアニソンは1960年代から2010年代まで聞いてますが(90年代に穴があるという噂も)、なるべくどのジャンルでも楽しめるよう心がけました。最近のお気に入りはメロディックハードキュア(どこが最近かはともかく)とかマクロスF、けいおん(フツーでしょ?)、古い方では小林泉美さんによるうる星やつらとか、それより前だと渡辺岳夫さんとか小林亜星さんとか大好物です。あれ、俺が好きなアニソンじゃなくて(実はそんな詳しい訳ではありません)?  
I don't know where you get this idea that people have been misunderstanding Monet that it's not tuned for modern anime music because when asked which genre within anisong Monet excels at it is clearly stated that they listen to everything from the 60s all the way to the 2010s and they try to tune it as broadly as possible (which squarely defeats your claim that it is aiming for the 70s and 80s anisong).  They also say of recent they particularly like songs from Macross F and K-On, both of which are very recent hits, and Melodic Heart Cure is an album from 2004 by anisong singer duo Melo Cure (Okazaki Ritsuko and Hinata Megumi).

It's worth repeating that anisong is not a genre (a common misconception, especially amongst the westerners) and has no particular music style - it is simply songs that are of anime/TV game/tokusatsu origin, if an anime has an opening which is a rap song then that song is considered an anisong, if it is song written in a traditional Japanese ondo it is still an anisong.     

EDIT:  Below is a song by Melo Cure, which is a FAR cry from the 70s and 80s anime stuff, not to mention it's a fairly vocal centric song, which the reviewer claims the Monet is supposed to be weak at but the tuners are a fan of.  So draw your own conclusions on how much weight you want to put into that review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back