The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #4,397 of 6,678
Too bad, I really liked the 001. It was my favorite cable with the TG334 and 335SR. I tried other cables but always liked better the sound of stock one.
The 001 is hand made and the 006 is not. That's why they switch the cable I believe. The 006 seems to be faster and easier to build.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #4,398 of 6,678
Hand made..maybe that's one of the reason 001 are more expensive then the 006 cables.

The 001 sound signature is pretty unique on 335. Sweet and thickness of the vocal especially with 001.

Too bad, I really liked the 001. It was my favorite cable with the TG334 and 335SR. I tried other cables but always liked better the sound of stock one.
The 001 is hand made and the 006 is not. That's why they switch the cable I believe. The 006 seems to be faster and easier to build.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #4,399 of 6,678
Hand made..maybe that's one of the reason 001 are more expensive then the 006 cables.

The 001 sound signature is pretty unique on 335. Sweet and thickness of the vocal especially with 001.

I won't agree if you say 001 are more expensive than the 006, 006 indeed a bit more expensive, but they are on the same price range.

I do love how 001 sound though compared to the 006.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #4,405 of 6,678
  I've been kinda lost with the MH335DW & SR. Bear with me for a moment as I'm about to go through the history of my MH335DW-SR experience.

I heard the MH335DW demo units twice in two separate Fujiya events 4 months apart and loved  the sound so went on to make the CIEM version. Upon receiving, I felt that it sounded different and in my mind preferred the demo unit versions (did I hype my own brain?). FitEar was gracious enough to "custom tune" my MH335DW and improved a little.

Same timeframe 1 year apart I heard the MH335DW-SR demo units twice again at the Fujiya events 4 months apart and loved the improvement that it made over my MH335DW CIEM - and felt that's how the MH335DW should have been in the first place. So after 2nd trial run, the MH335DW-SR was open to a selected few and I opted in. Again upon receiving I felt that it was only a slight improvement over my MH335DW CIEM. Once again FitEar was gracious enough to personalise my MH335DW-SR but in my mind I was still thinking the demo units I heard sounded more to my liking.

And that brings us till this month of which I had my MH335DW-SR CIEM for about a year.I was itching to hear the MH335DW-SR demo units again to see if I really still preferred the demo units over my CIEM. The demo units sounded remarkably more muted and dull! So yay!! Whether it's "expectation bias", whether it's "real burn in", whether it's "brain burn-in", or whether I just happened to get the wrong demo unit, I've finally walked away with satisfaction and contentment that my MH335DW-SR sounded to my ears than the demo units I had thought I'd love.

One caveat to that story above - I also heard the Monet 17....oooooohhhhhh.

How Different are the Monet 17 to the original Monets? (or was it just renamed)
>I last heard it at Fujiya Avic in December and have been hoping for some ways and means to get it. The Q&A seems to suggest that it might be available to the international market sometime in the future.
>Also how different do both of them sound?

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #4,406 of 6,678
I am feeling a little late to this party...

but very, very pleased to have stumbled upon it!

I just auditioned the MH335DW's at e-earphone in Osaka yesterday, and my socks were officially blown off. I need to go get some impressions done and then will put my order in. I have worked my through the last fifty pages of this thread or so but would like to confirm a few things with any non-Tokyo based Japan residents who could kindly chime in.

1. I am assuming the recommendation for the audiologist the kind folks at e-earphone gave me will do the job according to specs for Fitear. I didn't realize it was an issue when I asked them where to go. I am assuming this is the same guy they have come into their shop on occasion. They aren't only taking impressions at their office are they?

2. What is the wait-time like for those based in Japan? I want to time this right with a summer trip out of the country.

3. Is there any chance the demo version at e-earphone in Osaka was the -SR?

<back story>
I had been using my JH13Pro 'classics' for the past five years and finally got the upgrade bug a couple of months ago when I saw e-earphone has having a trade-in sale. I was blown away with the flagship model that I ended up ordering, but the Fitear brand was completely off my radar and I didn't even give them a try. If I had, I would have made two impressions that day. I am still replaying that 335DW sound in my head-- nothing like all the others I tried and so mind-blowingly amazing. After being content but not overly excited with my single pair of customs for so long, it is going to be heaven with such a fantastic one-two combo of significant upgrades. Woot-woot!

<other Fitear phones>
I also tried all the Fitear universals they had. I found the To Go's to be very good but not quite as amazing as the 335's. The other two were less interesting, and all three were a bit uncomfortable. The Monet17's also did not really do it for me, but I was pretty fixated on the 335's sound by the time I tried them. Before I put my order, I will give all of their custom offerings another go-round but suspect my order with go to the 335's.

I will chime in on occasion with updates and reflections. Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

よろしくお願いします
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,407 of 6,678
See inline.

Quote:
  I am feeling a little late to this party...

but very, very pleased to have stumbled upon it!

I just auditioned the MH335DW's at e-earphone in Osaka yesterday, and my socks were officially blown off. I need to go get some impressions done and then will put my order in. I have worked my through the last fifty pages of this thread or so but would like to confirm a few things with any non-Tokyo based Japan residents who could kindly chime in.

1. I am assuming the recommendation for the audiologist the kind folks at e-earphone gave me will do the job according to specs for Fitear. I didn't realize it was an issue when I asked them where to go. I am assuming this is the same guy they have come into their shop on occasion. They aren't only taking impressions at their office are they?

I'm hoping you can shed more light on this. In Tokyo, you'll get an appointment with Fitear's clinic itself but I don't think they have an office in Osaka. So I'm guessing that there are a list of authorised Fitear-approved audiologist to take impressions.

2. What is the wait-time like for those based in Japan? I want to time this right with a summer trip out of the country.

So far historically it's been a month give or take 1 week.Don't know now.

You'll have to ask Osaka e-earphone. I've not seen SR in Fujiya/e-earphone Tokyo. The only other time I was able to compare a universal demo SR to my SR was with Fitear at the Fujiya show.

<back story>
I had been using my JH13Pro 'classics' for the past five years and finally got the upgrade bug a couple of months ago when I saw e-earphone has having a trade-in sale. I was blown away with the flagship model that I ended up ordering, but the Fitear brand was completely off my radar and I didn't even give them a try. If I had, I would have made two impressions that day. I am still replaying that 335DW sound in my head-- nothing like all the others I tried and so mind-blowingly amazing. After being content but not overly excited with my single pair of customs for so long, it is going to be heaven with such a fantastic one-two combo of significant upgrades. Woot-woot!

<other Fitear phones>
I also tried all the Fitear universals they had. I found the To Go's to be very good but not quite as amazing as the 335's. The other two were less interesting, and all three were a bit uncomfortable. The Monet17's also did not really do it for me, but I was pretty fixated on the 335's sound by the time I tried them. Before I put my order, I will give all of their custom offerings another go-round but suspect my order with go to the 335's.

I will chime in on occasion with updates and reflections. Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

よろしくお願いします
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4,408 of 6,678

I believe it is the no SR model they have.

On the e-earphone web site, they indicate 1 to 2 month wait for fitears customs.

Sometimes, during the week end, they take impressions at the shop (but not every week).

By the way I'm also in Osaka (Amagasaki exactely), we should have a little head fi meet sometime!
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #4,409 of 6,678
(Thanks for the follow-up messages, AnakChan and Marshal. They were helpful.)

<Ordering a FitEar CIEM through e-earphone in Osaka>

Despite some remaining ambiguities, I decided to move forward with my order and followed the directions to the audiologist in Osaka that was recommended by e-earphone. If the guy who did my previous impressions at e-earphone works at this shop, he was not there today. I informed them that I was referred by e-earphone and was unexpectedly given a 1000 yen discount for the impressions (4300 yen). I had also brought the instructions from the FitEar order page on the e-earphone site. The audiologist who worked with me knew about FitEar and seemed already aware of the specifics of their required procedures (full ear impression, and once the goo is in, fully open and close my mouth three times, move my jaw side to side three times, then keep my mouth closed while it dries).  In and out in 20 minutes, and it was a very smooth, pleasant experience.

I took the impressions directly to e-earphone, and after trying the demo models for a bit, I filled out the documents for an order of the 335DWs. They did require a copy of my residence card to confirm I was based in Japan, but nothing else out of the ordinary came up the rest of the way. They told me it would take 1-2 months, but just in case, I put a friendly request on the order form to see if they could finish within a month so that I could have them before I left for my trip.

If you are in the Osaka area, I recommend swinging by e-earphone to pick up the directions to the audiologist and proceeding as I did.

If you are not close, it does seem possible to get the impressions done locally, follow the FitEar order instructions on the e-earphone website, and then ship your impressions to e-earphone. Probably the smartest thing to do would be to have your local audiologist give e-earphone a call and confirm the steps they should take. Besides the unique impression procedures, I think that you need to have some document from the audiologist proving that the impressions were done at a proper audiologist and done in Japan. (Just my best interpretation of what is on the e-earphone website.)

At the very least, I was able to put in an order successfully (so far) without going through FitEar directly.

<Follow up on my listening impressions>
-Sony NW-ZX2, lossless tracks

I did have another go at the Monet17s and tried the Aya for the first time. Both seemed much more mid-centric than the 335DWs and neither really swayed me. The fabulous clarity was intact, but that amazing bass was much less there. Also, along with the forward mids (which were quite nice) came some unwelcome but not too terrible treble spikes. Probably mostly due to the tracks I tried, but they were not there with 335DWs. I spent just enough time with them to confirm I wanted the 335DWs, so my previous comments probably have minimal value.

With the 335DW demos, I initially felt less enthusiastic than I did a few days before. However, as I started to cycle through various tracks, it all came back—the unparalleled clarity, phat but controlled fun bass, smooth treble, and overall liquid-y goodness. I enjoy a lot of early 80’s New Wave synth bands and everything I tried in that genre sounded simply sublime. It is hard to imagine the Eurythmics ‘Sweet Dreams’ being rendered any better than I heard it today. Music featuring really cool synth sounds really, really cool with the 335DWs. Van Halen, Rush, Tears for Fears, Yes, Dr. Dre, Bjork, Prince, Radiohead… all amazing. Other tracks from James Brown, Nina Simone, Al Green, Nirvana, Garbage, Neil Young also were completely wonderful. With some top cans, I find myself seeking out the tracks that will allow them to shine best. With these, it is just a case of what else can I enjoy trying next.

I can’t wait to have them in my possession!

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #4,410 of 6,678
I will be going to osaka next year and I hope that I will be able to order a monet 17 or aya. I will be there for 4 months plus and I hope that they can allow me to purchase a jap exclusive fitear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back