The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #3,286 of 3,613
I can't wait for this thing to be released. Mainly because I don't see myself beeing able to buy a DX100 in a long long time :D
I just want to run my SM64 properly without having to use a portable amp. Double-amping my Cowon J3 is a no-no, too.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #3,287 of 3,613
Quote:
Thanks. Nevermind. It was volume check. The name volume check is only used with Apple. Foobar and others call it replay gain.

It is just a normalized. Thats the one that Apple had naming rights for

Apple's is "Sound Check" and it's not exactly like ReplayGain....it only normalizes track to track, whereas ReplayGain's album tag will preserve the dynamics of entire albums.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #3,288 of 3,613
Eww. I never touch that sorta stuff. Gotta have the full dynamics intact! :p. Replay gain is quite useful for those crumby volume war tracks of today....

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #3,289 of 3,613
Quote:
Eww. I never touch that sorta stuff. Gotta have the full dynamics intact! :p. Replay gain is quite useful for those crumby volume war tracks of today....

That's why Apple's Sound Check sucks....and why I have Rockbox-able iPods so that I have ReplayGain and preserve my dynamics.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,292 of 3,613
The quality of the X3, which should be out relatively soon, will determine whether or not we should get our collective panties in a bunch over this X5 which we know nothing about. For me, it's just a name and means nothing. Yet. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3,293 of 3,613
There is no current X5. When I get the X3 in my greedy mits I'm going to enjoy the HELL out of it!!! :cool:

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #3,294 of 3,613
I'm seriously thinking about buying the X3, however does anybody really know when it's going to be available for purchase? I tried to read the entire thread but it's kinda long and most likely I missed feiao saying when it's going to be available (assuming feiao already mentioned it)... Any clues when???

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3,296 of 3,613
Quote:
Lets see, what are some key features that would make this DAP a winner...

UI
Simple intuitive with gapless playback. Also tack on stuff like shuffle, playlist support and genre artist and album tag support for easy browsing. General file type support such as FLAC ALAC WAV and mp3. Most importantly NO UI BUGS PLEASE

Battery life
15 hours minimum 24 hrs or more would be great though

Storage
SD card compliant minimum 64 GB's, 128 preferred though

Sound
I'll put it as bluntly as possible.....It should sound as close to absolutely nothing as possible. In other words it would just disappear and let the gear it's driving stand out. If the gear plugged into it is warm then it sounds warm if it sounds analytical then it sounds analytical if it has a V or U shape then it will sound exactly like it was tuned to sound like. There should also be as little roll off in the upper registers as possible. A lot of mainstream DAP's play it safe and roll off the highs and I personally hate that. Oh and since I'm asking for extension up top give this lady a well rounded bottom end too. If source demands a deep earthy rumble I want to hear that rumble in as much detail as possible.

There's plenty other stuff I could mention but those are the big ones for me. Anything else would just be added gravy on the steak. Sounds simple enough in my book but for whatever reason none of the boutique DAP manufacturers are yet to deliver anything worth mentioning as a complete package.

Whoever is with me gimme a thumbs up

Thumbs up.  So many obvious things that get missed.   By happenstance my 64 gig touch appears to be dying.  Was going to just send it off to be repaired (the headphone jacks gone, along with the charging socket which I can just about use).  Instead I think I'll use my clip + until this comes out and see whats what.

Cheers

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,297 of 3,613
Thanks! I simply missed it....
tongue_smile.gif

I have to admit I'm pretty impressed about how Fiio is taking feedback from people before releasing it. So far I don't own any Fiio product, but I think this is going to change pretty soon....
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3,298 of 3,613
I own and have owned a few different FiiO devices. I've never had any complaints whatsoever. I think you'll be quite happy getting any of their products. But this, this is a stand-alone solution. A total #winner for me. I'm quite impatient,...but I'm afraid we have no option but to wait. And, IMO, it'll be worth the wait.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,299 of 3,613
I have not owned nor tested as many headphones, players, AMPs, or DACs as most of you. When I started to learn about this I decided to get an Ibasso D12 DAC/amp + Shure 940 + FLAC files, which I'm quite pleased with... This is my very first "real" setup, but my portable player is my celphone galaxyS which, of course, makes me want more. Here's where the Fiio X3 would make me, I think, enjoy a lot more my music...
dt880smile.png

With this player I don't think I'll need any portable amp for my 940s (42ohms), am I right?

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #3,300 of 3,613
Quote:
With this player I don't think I'll need any portable amp for my 940s (42ohms), am I right?

Yeah, do you guys think, that the X3 would be able to power my SM64 (95 Ohm) properly without using an amp? If I would still need an amp, I think i would just stick with my J3 and buy one of these RSA amps :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back