The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,936 of 3,613

Quote:
Root your SGS-II and get Voodoo Control Plus by SuperCurio.  Have an SGS and it makes it sound amazing!

just googled and Voodoo plus is not supported on the SGS2

I am a big Fiio fan (have E7 & E11)  and will more than likely switch up my S:flow2 for an X3    but a SGS2 with similar audio quality to the X3 would be ideal.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,937 of 3,613
While we are at this brief detour, can any SGS2 users PM me and let me know if they have used USB OTG to feed an external DAC.  TIA.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #1,938 of 3,613
Moar acronyms!
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,940 of 3,613
anax i dont think that will work. the sgs2 isnt like a computer i dont think it will recognize the dac and know to send the audio data through the usb. The opearting system has to support that and i dont think android does.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,941 of 3,613
Quote:
anax i dont think that will work. the sgs2 isnt like a computer i dont think it will recognize the dac and know to send the audio data through the usb. The opearting system has to support that and i dont think android does.

I think you rather missed the point of his post.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #1,942 of 3,613
Sorry to go off topic on this thread, but I really can't wait for the X3 to be released.

In the last month my upgrade fever has ALMOST allowed me to pull the trigger on an ipod classic 5.5 (before remembering how much I hate touchscreen controls) and a hifiman 601 (before hearing too much about iffy build quality).

Anyway, I know we'll get an update eventually - just saying, can't wait.

OK, back to the discussion on SGS2 vs iPhone 5
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #1,943 of 3,613
The Classic 5.5 doesn't have touchscreen, so I don't see a problem for you to pull the trigger..
It's the last classic to have the Wolfson DAC, and doing the DIYmod brings out great quality audio from the line out.
Even without the mod it sounds pretty good.

And people who prefer not to carry HDD players (like me. It's the first thing that dies on Classics. Lag when you skip too) and people who don't prefer iTunes (like me) can always convert it to CF and load Rockbox.

At this price point and cost performance ratio getting the 5G/5.5G and modding it, the only other player that interests me is the X3.. which many are waiting for, but as somehow expected, we have delays (it may even take until the end of the year before shops start taking orders, who knows).

So for people who want a good DAP while you wait for the X3, as one option I actually recommend trying DIYmod projects.. good way to spend some time.

Quote:

In the last month my upgrade fever has ALMOST allowed me to pull the trigger on an ipod classic 5.5 (before remembering how much I hate touchscreen controls)

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #1,944 of 3,613
Wow, is that embarrassing. I really have no idea where I got it in my head that the classic was touch screen - of course it isn't! I know it isn't. I can see the design in my head plain as day, and it clearly isn't. I think it's because I tried an iPod touch about a year ago and was supremely disappointed in the whole thing.

I did really dislike iTunes, but with Rockbox a possibility I suppose I may have to reconsider my thinking after all.

I'm sorry - I don't know what HDD or CF means, though.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,945 of 3,613
Sorry I didn't mean to embarass you, I know there are those random times for unintended stuff coming out of the head..

It's just a friendly suggestion of an alternative while waiting for the X3.  Coming from a 5G user that also dislike iTunes (I prefer drag and drop, and creating my own M3U playlists).  I really hope the X3 supports home made M3U lists too, hoping to not have to select few hundred songs on the player to make the same playlist I already use.  The Cowons and Sansa does this fine with their factory firmware, and also any Rockbox'd player.

HDD is Hard Disk Drive and CF is Compact Flash..

Quote:
Wow, is that embarrassing. I really have no idea where I got it in my head that the classic was touch screen - of course it isn't! I know it isn't. I can see the design in my head plain as day, and it clearly isn't. I think it's because I tried an iPod touch about a year ago and was supremely disappointed in the whole thing.

I did really dislike iTunes, but with Rockbox a possibility I suppose I may have to reconsider my thinking after all.

I'm sorry - I don't know what HDD or CF means, though.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #1,946 of 3,613
Don't worry about it - I stuck my own foot in my mouth, can't really blame anyone else!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually thinking about a WhipMod/iMod/DIYmod now. It makes sense, since the 32gb micro sd card I ordered for the Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ arrived today - and is, in fact, sitting on my kitchen table now still in the package. What a perfect time to change directions completely!

Sigh.

Seriously, I knew going in that this site would eventually bankrupt me - I just didn't know it would be from so many wrong turns along the way.

But I digress - back on topic.

X3, woohoo.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #1,948 of 3,613
Dont do CF mod its only 32GB  do the SSD mod Super Talent 1.8" PATA ZIF 128GB drive for 190 dollars  plug and play right in the ipod  check out my ssd mod thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/list-of-ssd-s-that-work-in-ipod-classic-slim-6-7g#post_7690548

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #1,949 of 3,613
I was talking about 5G/5.5G mods, we don't know if that SSD is suitable.  Unfortunately SSD mods was out of the question when I did a DIYmod, won't allow space for capitors inside... I guess 6G or newer classic users aren't aware of the whole DIYmod thing, hooking up caps etc, internal or external.

There are 64GB CFs too but it gets pretty close to the price of that SSD eh... so considering that, 190 for a 128GB SSD mod sounds reasonable.  However spending that much extra on iPods becomes a bit questionable (like the discussion that was on this thread, does everybody want to pay the price, and does everybody need that much storage?) and you look at 32GB CFs only costing $60... it's cheap and enough space atleast for me, I don't even use half of it since I only put in favorite songs.

For 6G or newer classic users, I don't think CF mods are suitable in the first place because I don't think there's good adaptors out there anyway (for 5G/5.5G I recommend Tarkan's CF adaptor).  Hell, I wouldn't even try opening the 6G anyway because it's so tough... must be prepared to break it for opening it.

Sorry going OT, I better stop here..

Quote:
Dont do CF mod its only 32GB  do the SSD mod Super Talent 1.8" PATA ZIF 128GB drive for 190 dollars  plug and play right in the ipod  check out my ssd mod thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/list-of-ssd-s-that-work-in-ipod-classic-slim-6-7g#post_7690548

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #1,950 of 3,613
The SSD works in the 5/5.5g as well. Infact ALO even sells the ipod video with the super talent ssd in them. Alo sells the 128GB SSD IMOD with the red wine audio mod already done for 800 so the ssd does work with the 5g as well.

If you are gonna pay 60 for a cf card + buy the adapter so say that comes out to like 75 dollars or whatever thats 75 dollars for only 32gb  you can get 4x that space for only 2.5x the price and I'm pretty sure the ssd drives have a faster transfer rate than the cf cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back