The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jul 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,576 of 3,613

Quote:
Will there be a huge sound difference between Hifiman HM 801 and Fiio X3? I am talking only about 24/192 FLAC only....If not then Fiio X3 will be the best DAP ever.:)

Maybe, maybe not, but given that one goes for $800 and the other for less than a quarter of that....

The X3 has some awesome capabilities for sure, and at a great price, but it isn't aimed at those who are wanting the best possible sounding all in one device at any cost.  Through the use of the COAX-out, you can add your own DAC/AMP, and likely be able to match and exceed the 801's SQ.  We'll see what actually happens, of course, but the 2 players really are not targeted at the same, or even near the same, market.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,577 of 3,613
Yeah, the digital-out means you can use the X3 as just a front end and use whatever portable DAC and amp you wanted to, however I'm not sure what truly portable DACs there are that use coax that have DACs comparable to the 801 in. The iBassos dont' seem that different from what's inside the X3 already, although obviously there's more to it than just the chip. This may well change though since there's a fair few portable USB DACs. I think the thing that's nice about the X3 is the expandability though. It'll probably be pretty **** good out the headphone out, you can add an amp, and you can also add a DAC in between if you want too. So, you can have something that can fit in your pocket if you're going for a run or something, and also be a brick if you have a bag for it. 

Obviously the digital out would be ideal for the JH-3A (DAC and amp), but reading the thread it seems plagued with delays and problems, which for something costing what it does... well. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,578 of 3,613
You know what would be awesome but it's certainly too late for?  If you there was a physical switch or software setting (that operates a transistor switch) to select which jack is used for which signal.  You know, so you could switch the line-out, headphone out, or coaxial out to either end of the player.

Now that would just make my day.

Also, another cool product would be a stripped-down DAC-only device to fit in the E9 or to use separately.  You know, no screen, no volume control, no headphone amp, just a tiny USB DAC that fits in the E9 dock (and works standalone as well).  Actually, if some company were to make a reasonably priced USB DAC cable again...  I bet with Fiio's quantity purchasing of the USB controller and DAC it uses for the D3/D5/E7/X3, either/both would be an easy, low-cost project and a worthwhile addition to the higher-end DAC Fiio is working on...

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,580 of 3,613

Quote:
Now I'm curious, BlackbeardBen...How would switching the jacks be useful at all?  It sounds pretty difficult for minimal (and none that I can think of) usefulness? :)

Well, now it's too late, but in the design phase it would not have been impossible to add a few transistors or physical switches to do the output/input switching for you.  At the very least, a single switch that reversed the positions of the line-out and headphone-out would be cool.

The benefit is so that you can choose the orientation of the player for whatever use you're going to apply it to.  Paired with a portable amp that has the headphone-out and line-in at the same end?  You can choose whether you want the cables to all come out of the top or the bottom.  Using it with a desktop amp?  You probably want either the line-out or the coax to be on top so you don't have a wire dangling out the bottom.  Using a portable amp with the line-in on the opposite end of the player as the headphone-out and the volume control?  You can have the player upright with the front (volume knob/headphone jack on the amp) facing you, because you can move the line-out from the bottom to the top.

Now, I don't remember the exact configuration that it's set at - there was some discussion about the locations of the jacks being changed and I can't remember if the way shown in the renders is final - but no matter what way it is some people aren't going to be happy.  For example, if you keep it upside down in your pants pocket (so if you look down it's upright to you) for easy access to the buttons in the same orientation as when you are holding it, you probably want the headphone out to be on the bottom of the X3 (so the cable is coming out of the top of your pocket).  If you plan on doing the same with an amp, you'll want the same end for the line out.  If you're like me, you'll want the line-out to out of the top to go with your amp (I have an iBasso PB1) with a line-in on the back.

So you can see, there's no way to satisfy everyone regarding output location other than making the jacks all switchable - and this is perhaps the first time we've got a portable player with so many inputs and outputs that something like that would make sense.

Now, I understand that this is a rather bizarre thing to think about doing and there's certainly all sorts of problems to be resolved with something of this sort, but few good ideas are easy to implement.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,586 of 3,613

Quote:
I more interested in the Fiio X3 as the rest of the guys here.Fio keep us updated with final design and specs please.

They're probably also working on some even more interesting products we don't know a thing about right now...wouldn't want to cut away from the development of those.  At any rate, I think that the delay is out of their control and is something to do with their firmware and SoC supplier, not Fiio itself.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,588 of 3,613

Quote:
They're probably also working on some even more interesting products we don't know a thing about right now...wouldn't want to cut away from the development of those.  At any rate, I think that the delay is out of their control and is something to do with their firmware and SoC supplier, not Fiio itself.

Indeed.  Things like the E17 DAC (or is it a DAC/amp?).

Anyway, asking a manufacturer to "pls work harder,and keep the quality" is pretty ridiculous when they're already trying to cater to as much of our needs as possible, and the delay isn't even in their control because the hardware of the player is all ready for production.  It is in fact the SoC supplier that hasn't finished the firmware yet, because they've got another project for a much bigger company that they are doing right now.  Poor Fiio doesn't have any option but to wait.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,589 of 3,613
ClieOS.  I was wondering if you knew the input impedance of the X3.  I assume you went with the 75ohm coax value as the generic standard rather than trying to 'match' your sources more closely?

I was also wondering under what circumstances should you begin to worry about ground loop issues? 

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,590 of 3,613

Quote:
i've said this before but i do not think we should be calling this product "delayed"  its simply in process.   They never gave an absolute release date to begin with.

they did say end of february on the first posts then it went to marchish until the problem with the firmware developer, so I will call that a delay.

I don't know about other peopple but I would drop that developer as soon as this is released and search for another one more eficient. i wouldn't even accept the delay to begin with if it werent because I think (if I remeber right) that they suply the chip also so they are the only ones that can develop the software.. but that is just me and how I feel about that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back