The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Oct 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #2,596 of 3,613
Re: your signature, unless you're Lance Armstrong!   :D

I put that there as it's something I luv to do,...being another cancer survivor. Audio & bike riding are my hobbies now - me likey!!! :p

But, I really want a serious Rockbox player,...this could be perfect!!! :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,597 of 3,613
Subbed

Btw, having seen so many discussions on the "Rockbox" firmware, both in the DX100 and in this thread, no offence but I really doubt this would be done in the DX100 or X3. If I am the Fiio software developer, some concerns (actually not only for Rockbox, but for open source software in general) for them are 

1. Licensing - yes I know Rockbox is freeware, but is it free for commercial? I don't see any licensing terms on the Rockbox website.

2. On going support - when Rockbox has some version update or bug fix, they will probably need to do the corresponding changes in their product also. How would they co-operate with Rockbox with the changes? 

3. Release date - From the status mentioned in this thread, seems the X3 is going to be production soon, that means the Fiio custom made firmware should be nearly complete already. If they introduce Rockbox into X3 at this time, will there be any impact to the release date of X3?

So in short, the best they could do might be to have some ways for their end users to mod the firmware by themselves (just like Sansa), but for the official release end product, it will be unlikely for them to use Rockbox.... just my 2 cents 
redface.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2,598 of 3,613
You see we do have that one little ace up our sleeves,...if the Rockbox devs like this player they'll make it run on the X3. There's no need for hardware adjustments, and there's no risk of licensing issues.

All it takes is compatible hardware. And that's in FiiO's hands. I hope they do the right thing,...especially since I'd get this and send them it for development after release. We'd all reap the benifits - FiiO included.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2,599 of 3,613
Quote:
You see we do have that one little ace up our sleeves,...if the Rockbox devs like this player they'll make it run on the X3. There's no need for hardware adjustments, and there's no risk of licensing issues.
All it takes is compatible hardware. And that's in FiiO's hands. I hope they do the right thing,...especially since I'd get this and send them it for development after release. We'd all reap the benifits - FiiO included.

Can't agree more with you.
Very well said, thank you.Hope James will read this.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #2,604 of 3,613
Even if it takes a year i belive Rockbox could and will be on X3.Maybe we should start to get in touch with the guys behind Rockbox and make a small donation towards this.:p

I don't really know if it will or not, I was just messing around. :p

iActually highly possible if rockbox devs see potential in X3. I really wouldn't be surprised if X3 catches their full attention over time. it depends on how much interest it grabs. There may be a solid 100+ members here that want it, but it's going to take people on their end to be truly inspired wanting to put their hearts into it.

I just hope X3 brings high levels of SQ for the price. People will be coming from Apple, Cowon, Colorfly (C3) so there's some boots there to be filled.

They had me sold at 24bit sample rates. :) I'll buy one just for that alone.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2,605 of 3,613
Quote:
I don't really know if it will or not, I was just messing around.
tongue.gif

iActually highly possible if rockbox devs see potential in X3. I really wouldn't be surprised if X3 catches their full attention over time. it depends on how much interest it grabs. There may be a solid 100+ members here that want it, but it's going to take people on their end to be truly inspired wanting to put their hearts into it.
I just hope X3 brings high levels of SQ for the price. People will be coming from Apple, Cowon, Colorfly (C3) so there's some boots there to be filled.
They had me sold at 24bit sample rates.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll buy one just for that alone.

and using it with an E17 might be interesting, too. It might make a nice budget-fi stack. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,608 of 3,613
Quote:
No matter what it has, people here will pair it with an amp. It's like steroids, stacking seems to be mandatory!!!
rolleyes.gif

Not really lol. When I'm out on the road I don't like carrying a huge load. I'd rather go portable and thus more comfortable.... But while at home yest I'll have a bomb or brick of course :p.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #2,609 of 3,613
Quote:
No matter what it has, people here will pair it with an amp. It's like steroids, stacking seems to be mandatory!!!
rolleyes.gif

X3 will have AD8397 op amp according to last update from feiao. Look at the data sheet. This little beast puts out 310 mA peak into 32 Ω on ±12 V supplies. Ok even though supplies on X3 will be much less. With very low ±1.5 V supplies AD8397 gives a peak current of 170 mA at VOUT = 0.7 VP, RLOAD = 4.1 Ω and also ±1.4Vpp swing with RLoad from 25 to 100 Ohm. Don't see a need for external amp here guys. Just in case you want to drive HiFiMan HE-6 with X3. And even then HE-6 measured by Tyll Hertsens on AP system showed  Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 1.018 Vrms Impedance @ 1kHz: 53 Ohms Power Needed for 90d BSPL 19.69 mW. Just do the math. On ±1.5 V supplies AD8397 can push HE-6 to 98.9 dB SPL. You can calculate yourself if you wish.

P.S. AD8397 is a powerful headphone amp by itself. There is no reason for external because it won't give extra quality. Yes, external amp can give a bigger voltage swing and current than AD8397. But X3 is intended to be portable all-in-one audio player solution and I guess people will use it more with IEMs, CIEMs, portable cans like DT1350, Senn HD21-2, V-moda M80 and such and not with power hungry monsters like HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back