The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Apr 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #9,766 of 9,972
A really great combination for someone into bass is to get a Fiio A5 portable amplifier and the Sennheiser HD 650. That will do you better than any of the fans you've mentioned.

But the question was about a headphone, not an AMP, no?

For the best bass headphone in that price range, I honestly nominate Meze 99 Classics.

I used to use Ultrasone Dj 1 Pro before, but Meze 99 Classics surpasses them in too many aspects to consider DJ1P anymore.

May 5, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #9,767 of 9,972
I like it when competition is fierce!

Makes things interesting for us buyers!

The more competition, the fiercer, the better it is for consumers, no?
Not always. Consequence could also be that companies start developing new devices without optimizing the released devices first. Because we as a consumer, most of the time, want the latest and greatest regardless if the device somewhat buggy or not.

May 14, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #9,768 of 9,972
Question: I am thinking of setting up something like this:

1) Pi 3 with wired keyboard and mouse
2) amp
3) Monitor
4) Powered USB Dock with Portable HD where all my music is
5) X3II used as a DAC
6) HD-600 Headphones

Anyone has any experience with something like this? Can this work? how Linux behave with the X3 as a DAC?

Any input will be appreciated.

May 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #9,769 of 9,972

2) amp
3) Monitor
5) X3II used as a DAC
6) HD-600 Headphones

Anyone has any experience with something like this? Can this work? how Linux behave with the X3 as a DAC?

Connect X3ii to the computer / laptop, not to a powered USB DOC as it might cause some stability problems. Experience dictates that it is better to not be connected to a USB powered hub.

May 14, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #9,770 of 9,972

2) amp
3) Monitor
5) X3II used as a DAC
6) HD-600 Headphones

I have a first gen X3 hooked up to a DAPhile server. Not a single problem connecting. Also tried it with Mint, worked great too

May 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #9,771 of 9,972
I have a first gen X3 hooked up to a DAPhile server. Not a single problem connecting. Also tried it with Mint, worked great too

That is exactly what I needed to know, I am giving it a try. I have a small space in my basement that would like to use as a "private listening area".

May 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #9,772 of 9,972
i really want Fiio to announce Fiio x3 3rd gen soon...im soo tempted to buy Cayin n3 now..but i have feeling Fiio would release something better at that price range

If they would just give a hint :confounded:

May 15, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #9,773 of 9,972
i really want Fiio to announce Fiio x3 3rd gen soon...im soo tempted to buy Cayin n3 now..but i have feeling Fiio would release something better at that price range

If they would just give a hint :confounded:

Dear friend,

Thank you for the support to us! Stay tuned!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 25, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #9,774 of 9,972

2) amp
3) Monitor
5) X3II used as a DAC
6) HD-600 Headphones

I have no idea how the X3II works with Linux, but I can say don't get the HD 600. Get the HD 650 instead. Awesome cans. I have the HD 6xx (same as the HD 650) and I love them. The AMP I am using is the Fiio K5 which fits very nicely with the X3II.

May 25, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #9,775 of 9,972
I have no idea how the X3II works with Linux, but I can say don't get the HD 600. Get the HD 650 instead. Awesome cans. I have the HD 6xx (same as the HD 650) and I love them. The AMP I am using is the Fiio K5 which fits very nicely with the X3II.

I kindly disagree here, I love HD600 but dislike HD650 and I am both a bass head and a I love treble, HD600 simply sounds more natural / refined to my ears.

The best advice is to tell somebody to test both, it helps much more than our recommendation since everyone has a different ear shape and expectations / tastes.

May 25, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #9,776 of 9,972
I kindly disagree here, I love HD600 but dislike HD650 and I am both a bass head and a I love treble, HD600 simply sounds more natural / refined to my ears.

The best advice is to tell somebody to test both, it helps much more than our recommendation since everyone has a different ear shape and expectations / tastes.

Do not worry, I already made my mind, but thank you both for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back