The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #9,796 of 9,972
You have a DAC that can play DSD. It's the X3II.
Yes, yes I do and I enjoy it a lot! I just like to experiment.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #9,798 of 9,972
Looks like we'll get we'll have an X3III announcement on 7-15-17 according to FiiO's Facebook page. Along with an X7II and other products as well.
Yeah but they'll all be based on the same android software that they're using now which isn't that great. Still way to many bugs on the X7. I don't own the X5iii but I've read it has many of the same issues.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #9,799 of 9,972
Yeah but they'll all be based on the same android software that they're using now which isn't that great. Still way to many bugs on the X7. I don't own the X5iii but I've read it has many of the same issues.
I haven't seen anything regarding the X3III being Android based, but I'll find out in a couple days. I'm actually more interested in the new portable amp/DACs. However, part of me is interested in an X3III because I really enjoyed my 2nd gen so hopefully they don't over do it with the 3rd gen.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #9,805 of 9,972
Agree with @Midgetguy , my X3 is decent with my HD650 and my ex-GF used to love the X3 with her HD700, can't say about the HD600 since I don't have them anymore but I say the X3 will drive the HD600 to about 80% of their potential easily.

I disagree. I don't think the X3II drives the HD650 well enough. I'm hoping the X3III using the balanced out will drive the HD650 well enough. Give that the HD650 and the HD600 are both 300ohms, I'd say no tot he HD600.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #9,806 of 9,972
I disagree. I don't think the X3II drives the HD650 well enough. I'm hoping the X3III using the balanced out will drive the HD650 well enough. Give that the HD650 and the HD600 are both 300ohms, I'd say no tot he HD600.
He asked about the X3, not X3ii. IMO the X3ii will also drive the HD650 to better than 50% of their capability but since my 50% and your 50% is different, who knows. What setup do you consider the HD650 properly driven?

My definition of properly driven is an amp that will get the HD650 to the individual's listening level, it dose not have anything to do with sound signature.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #9,807 of 9,972
He asked about the X3, not X3ii. IMO the X3ii will also drive the HD650 to better than 50% of their capability but since my 50% and your 50% is different, who knows. What setup do you consider the HD650 properly driven?

My definition of properly driven is an amp that will get the HD650 to the individual's listening level, it dose not have anything to do with sound signature.

I'm using the HD6xx with the X3II and the K5. I can get it to whatever sound level I need/want. Using just the X3II, I do have some recordings that you do not get an appropriate volume.

As for what was asked about, if he's really asking about the X3, then he;s in the wrong thread as the is the thread for the X3II.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #9,808 of 9,972
I always find these questions and their replies slightly amusing. Will the X3 drive it to "their potential" - what is that?

I think we can assume he means X3ii as that is the thread he's posted in - if not, he can tell us.

I have the HD600 and the X3ii - I'm listening to them right now. So lets look at a couple of real world situations.

Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" - 80/120 on low gain on the X3ii, no EQ or replay gain or anything else which can affect things. Measured with a calibrated SPL meter, the end of the mic just at my outer ear. Volume (A-weighted) is 65-75dB. Engaging high gain puts this into the 75-85 dB range. Same track on 120/120 puts it into 85-95dB range. 80/120 on low gain is pretty comfortable for my preferences. Above 100 with this track and its simply too loud for me.

Switch tracks to Amber Rubarth's "Tundra" - a binaurally recorded track, with a lot of dynamic range, and recorded quieter than a lot of my other classical music. Comfortable listening level for me is around 100/120 - so its getting near the limits of the X3ii, but still sufficient volume. At 120/120 on high gain, its putting out dynamic peaks at 85dB. Again for me - 100/120 is sufficient.

So a lot will depend on your preferred listening level.

So lets look at the theory of driving to "their potential". I also have (in front of me right now) L&P's flagship LP5 Gold DAP. I've had this at Meets before driving people's HD800s and had them comment that it sounds better than their full sized home rigs. It has the ability to get the HD600s (or the HD800s for that matter) well above 100dB, so power isn't an issue.

Both DAPs volume matched to my preferred 65-75dB range - playing the same track - and able to use fast switching so I can go from device to device at same point in song rapidly.
  • Both sound absolutely excellent with the HD600
  • Both have enough volume for my preferences (YMMV with this)
  • The only minor differences is that the LP5 Gold's bass response is just a little warmer (fractionally) and the lower treble on the X3ii is the tiniest bit more prominent. The LP5 Gold appears just a little smoother. it is not "night and day". This could be the tonality differences of the amp sections. It could be that the LP5 Gold is slightly on the warm side, where X3ii is a little more neutral to cool.
If you're worried about power with the HD600, then an amp like the FiiO A5 will get you all the headroom you'd ever want, but even the E17K will give you a lot more headroom - and the tone controls on that amp are brilliant if you're trying to EQ a headphone slightly and you'd rather not worry about playing around with EQ curves/settings. But for me personally (at my listening levels) the X3ii has no issues actually driving them. I would probably tend to use the X3ii with the E17K though if I had a choice (more head-room, adds easy EQ options, and I like the volume wheel).

Hope this helps

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #9,809 of 9,972
@Brooko , great post and agree that its not a night and day difference, every once in awhile I've tried to see how many of my friends can hear the difference between the X3ii and my Bimby/BH Crack, only one in 5 can hear the differences but even then they say its subtle most of the time. I do listen at lower levels similar to you, getting up pass 80dB is a bit too loud for me and most of my friends also listen at these levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back