The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #6,887 of 9,972
Okay so initial impressions Fiio X3ii vs iBasso DX80

I'm glad you like the DX80! It looks like a nice device....feel free to send me your old X3ii. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #6,892 of 9,972
  Just got my X3! Is it just me or does the X1 sound better? Despite what reviews said my X1 seems to be a tad...brighter...than the X3? 

Brighter doesn't always mean better. It depends what cans you are using to listen with. If you have a dark sounding set of cans, brighter can maybe be better. But, the X3II is not overly bright so if the X1 is brighter, that may not be a good thing.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #6,893 of 9,972
Full disclosure:  I have not done any research.  You can flame me if you would like, I deserve it.  But I am tired and dont feel like researching, I was hoping someone could help.

Any reason that my 24 bit files would have issues on this?  All my 24 bit stuff seems to occasionally crackle or stutter.  It doesnt do this on my HTPC on my floor standing setup, nor my PC I usually listen to music on.

I love this device other than when I randomly queue up a 24 bit file. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #6,894 of 9,972
Full disclosure:  I have not done any research.  You can flame me if you would like, I deserve it.  But I am tired and dont feel like researching, I was hoping someone could help.

Any reason that my 24 bit files would have issues on this?  All my 24 bit stuff seems to occasionally crackle or stutter.  It doesnt do this on my HTPC on my floor standing setup, nor my PC I usually listen to music on.

I love this device other than when I randomly queue up a 24 bit file. 

Did you format the card in the player? 99% of all playback issues span from not formatting in the player.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #6,898 of 9,972
I whish the previous/next buttons enable to jump from letter to another when browing into music list (First press lead to 1st artist beginnning by A, next press to 1st beginning by B, etc...). And use the wheel to browse line by line. It could really improve the browing ...

I agree. Sony NWZ-A15 had this option and it was a breeze to browse through your collection. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #6,899 of 9,972
Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to be as detailed as I can!

So I just got my X3K today and I'm finding this to be a very odd DAP compared to the X1 I just had before it. The sound, in general, almost seems like a step back to me despite what others are saying.

For one the EQ seems FAR less effective on the X3K than it did on the X1. Seriously, no matter how much bass or treble I add it sounds the same on as it does off...it just seems more like a volume reducer with it on. Turning it off results in pretty much, from what I can hear, the exact same sound. Only difference being is that I have to adjust the volume depending if it's on or not.

Like, on the X3 when you turn on the EQ the volume drops and it seems like all the sliders do is just push the volume back up to normal or something? In contrast, with the X1 turning the EQ on kept the volume the same as with it off and when you pumped up the bass or treble it did so accordingly.

I mean, I can go from 70 volume with EQ off, turn EQ on with all my changes (V patern with the sliders on each end maxed) and turn the volume up to 80 (so it's the same loudness) and it sounds exactly the same. No bass or treble boost.

Edit: Having all sliders at +4 on the EQ then turning it off literally makes no difference in sound or volume. It's like going from off to off...what???

Not only that but something seems so...artificial with the X3 as opposed to the X1. Sure the X3 is a tad brighter and maybe the X1 was just warmer and more natural or something but even my AudioTrak ImAmp desktop amp, which is definitely brighter than the X1, doesn't suffer from the artificial sound at all. My BlackBerry Classic with it's also naturally brighter sound doesn't have this artificial sound.

Yeah...sold my ImAmp and X1 to get the X3 and seriously regretting it. I'm not seeing what the big deal is honestly, to my ears it's a step back sound wise unless I'm just doing something wrong?

Now hardware wise I like it a lot more. It's thicker and feels better in the hand, the separate line-out is awesome, and the added functions like the USB DAC support is cool but the seemingly useless EQ and more artificial sound just seems so odd.

OH! Not only that but the volume seems to be an issue in general with the X3. With the X1 I didn't ever go over 55 volume (EQ didn't matter). With the X3 though, using the same headphones, I have to go all the way to 70 with EQ off up to 80 with EQ on to get the same volume! That's going from 55% volume on the X1 as the max I'd use to 60-70% volume on the X3 despite me having the gain on HIGH and it having TWICE the power output! Seriously, at 32Ohms (which my headphones are) we're talking 65mW vs 200mW respectively!!! Makes no damn sense. At 70 or 80 volume my earbuds should be blown right now...not comfortable.

So yeah, I don't know what's going on. Is it possible my X3 is defective or something? I mean, it doesn't sound like it's broken or anything but it just doesn't sound...better.

Thoughts?

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #6,900 of 9,972
  This past Saturday I received the pair of VE Monk earbuds I bought, and I must say they are perfect for FiioX3II. The sound was just so clear and pristine.

Have you heard the Baldoor/Mrice E100? I tested the VE Zen and Asura and was far from impressed with both of them. Really don't get the praise the Zen gets. Sounded recessed to me. I keep hearing the Monk is ridiculous for the price though, much like the E100's (which are my all time favorite up to this point...sold my HD800's in favor of them!). Care if I ask where you purchased them? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back