The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 5, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #6,798 of 9,972
  Sledge the x3 is pretty subpar in the amp category compared to other high end players, not to mention other amps.

Care to name a few in the same price category?  Volume matched, I find very little difference unless you are prepared to make massive leaps in price .....

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #6,799 of 9,972
My opinion, it sounds very comparable to the X5ii, (with IEMs). That's all I use, I don't generally use ANY full sized cans because I usually tend to be happier with the comfort of IEMs.. I understand I'm losing on some sound stage, but I have come to terms with that..
One thing that surprised the hell out of me though about the X3ii was how small it was!!! I thought the X5ii was small.. But this is micro-penis small!! Ha ha!!
I honestly can't believe it sounds as good as it does for how small and cheap it is.. And yes, you all are right about the screen, it's not terrible.. I do have to hold it in an angle sometimes so the colors don't get washed out.. (very narrow viewing angles)..

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #6,800 of 9,972
x-posted from the firmware thread:

just received my new fiio! so far so good! a few questions.

is there a way to add files to the current playlist? or do i have to replace the whole playlist...
.nomedia tags don't seem to be working. is there a way to exclude certain folders from the library?
any loss in audio quality if i enable high gain?
do i have to wake up the screen with the power button? can i make it 'any button to wake?'

edit: eep, just had my first crash. what causes this? loss of memory? any way to minimise crashes?

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #6,801 of 9,972

I disagree. I have the X3II and it's very good. Most other hi-end players are overpriced.

Nobody said it was super bad, and nobody said others aren't over priced, they are.  But it's like what's said previous, why would you spend money on this just as an amp.  Other all in one solutions are better overall, or you can spend left overs on a dedicated amp.  

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #6,803 of 9,972
Well, I do like it.. There are some passages on it that are just right, usually they get muddy or congested but not with this or the X5ii.. I am beginning to dread my decision for downgrading from the X5ii.. yes I saved some money, but the screen is a noticeable thing IF you've used the X5ii, if not, you'll probably be fine with it.. and I upgraded the firmware to the 1.4 and no lag.. even though this X3ii has a warmer signature to it, I feel like I could get a better sub bass section out of the X5ii. Any one have any recommendations as to how long I should let this burn in, before I determine, what I'm hearing is accurate?? So far, it's been about week.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #6,806 of 9,972

I just don't like that there's no good cases for it, rubber is bad, leather is mediocre. the DAP gets scratches so easily.

If by leather you mean the faux-leather Fiio case, then yeah, I guess some may find it mediocre. Personally, I like it. Perhaps the Dignis real leather case would be more to your liking. There are plenty on Amazon and e-bay to check out. Different colours too. :) 

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #6,807 of 9,972
  If by leather you mean the faux-leather Fiio case, then yeah, I guess some may find it mediocre. Personally, I like it. Perhaps the Dignis real leather case would be more to your liking. There are plenty on Amazon and e-bay to check out. Different colours too. :) 

Not a fan of leather cases in general, don't know why fiio always release leather cases and rarely plastic

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #6,808 of 9,972

Not a fan of leather cases in general, don't know why fiio always release leather cases and rarely plastic

Yeah, I know what you mean. Personally, I'd prefer a case which covers the TF slot. I get paranoid about pocket lint etc.. lol. 
I'm an expat living in China and can get some (imo) very nice cases for the X3, but as yet, not for the X3ii. Hope you find something. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #6,810 of 9,972

I wish Fiio made a TPU case for the X3ii. You can get one for just about every phone out there and this TPU stuff doesn't collect lint like silicone and slides easily in and out of your pocket plus it's more durable then plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back