The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Dec 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,587 of 9,972
  I just use my X3ii unamped with my various IEMs and it sounds great. I don't think it requires additional amping unless you're using hard to drive headphones or want to change the sound a bit.

An amp can give you longer battery life.  That's why I use one.  The flavor it adds to the sound can be good or bad depending on your taste.  I easily get 15 hours from my X3II now paired with the Q1..

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #6,588 of 9,972
  An amp can give you longer battery life.  That's why I use one.  The flavor it adds to the sound can be good or bad depending on your taste.  I easily get 15 hours from my X3II now paired with the Q1..

Yes that's true...some people do use them for longer battery life and to flavor the sound. I get probably about 11 hours with mine unamped that is.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,590 of 9,972
  does anyone in this thread uses x3ii with e11k/q1 as usb dac output? or would i be better getting a e10k solely for desktop??

I do, but i only use the Q1 as an amp with my X3II.  Either device (X3II or Q1) can be used as a stand alone DAC for your desktop.  I've tried both and they work and sound fine IMO.  However, if you are looking for something purely for desktop use, then e10k might be better suited for that.  It just comes down to what will work best for your needs.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #6,591 of 9,972
  I do, but i only use the Q1 as an amp with my X3II.  Either device (X3II or Q1) can be used as a stand alone DAC for your desktop.  I've tried both and they work and sound fine IMO.  However, if you are looking for something purely for desktop use, then e10k might be better suited for that.  It just comes down to what will work best for your needs.

cause i felt that keeping plugging in the usb for x3k and removing will damage the ports somehow, i always have a bad time with such ports.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #6,592 of 9,972
  cause i felt that keeping plugging in the usb for x3k and removing will damage the ports somehow, i always have a bad time with such ports.

The e10k might work best for you.  I too hate the constant plugging and unplugging.  You might take a look at the K1 as well.  Depending on how much amp power you need, the K1 is a bit cheaper, but doesn't offer the other features like the e10k.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,593 of 9,972
  The e10k might work best for you.  I too hate the constant plugging and unplugging.  You might take a look at the K1 as well.  Depending on how much amp power you need, the K1 is a bit cheaper, but doesn't offer the other features like the e10k.

thanks, i think i will go with e10k, since got line out for my budget powered swans m10 speakers :)

shall go digest the e10k thread nom nom

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #6,594 of 9,972
Got my X3ii 3hrs back. Superb construction.confident inspiring Heft and material quality. Very impressive initial impression indeed. Updated to 1.4fw right away, everything is functioning smooth n fine. Out of the box sound quality with m6 pro couldn't blow me away.flac n 320kbps mp3 sounded pretty much at par Compared to custom eq n bbe equipped C2. Although, Higher power output could be felt with my other headphones right away. Either I was expecting too much from this lil Beauty or (most probably) I need more time with the beast along with few nice tunes to fully realize its true potential. :blush:

Btw, x3ii came with already applied screen guard and aftr peeling off the outer layer i really had hard time to realise there was a screen protector present already, it was so nicely aligned. Nice touch of detail there,Fiio :ok_hand:

You won't hear much difference with M6 pro. If you want to hear difference, as a general rule your headphones should cost more than your player. (Or at least about the same, not 5-6x price difference between them.) This is how it works. In my opinion it is always the headphones one should upgrade first. Everything else comes after that. And I also suggest that to have headphones as the most expensive component of your system. (Or at least each component more or less from the same price category.) It is quite pointless to buy more expensive player or amp than your headphones, as they won't reveal what your amp or player is capable of.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #6,595 of 9,972
You won't hear much difference with M6 pro. If you want to hear difference, as a general rule your headphones should cost more than your player. (Or at least about the same, not 5-6x price difference between them.) This is how it works. In my opinion it is always the headphones one should upgrade first. Everything else comes after that. And I also suggest that to have headphones as the most expensive component of your system. (Or at least each component more or less from the same price category.) It is quite pointless to buy more expensive player or amp than your headphones, as they won't reveal what your amp or player is capable of.
Those are some really nice insights there mate. :thumbsup:
I am using it with my hd598 and ue6000 also,those are imo within the same price range of x3ii more or less. They both sound amazing with x3ii. yeah, i can understand a headphone upgrade will be much more important and sensible thing to do than a player upgrade in this range to feel the 'night and day' sq difference. :confused:

*tbh, after reading so many positive reviews n high praises all over the blogs forum sites and after hundreds of pages in this thread seriously I couldn't refrain the impulse buyer inside me from that final click on 'place order' button.. :yum:

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #6,596 of 9,972
Those are some really nice insights there mate. :thumbsup:
I am using it with my hd598 and ue6000 also,those are imo within the same price range of x3ii more or less. They both sound amazing with x3ii. yeah, i can understand a headphone upgrade will be much more important and sensible thing to do than a player upgrade in this range to feel the 'night and day' sq difference. :confused:

*tbh, after reading so many positive reviews n high praises all over the blogs forum sites and after hundreds of pages in this thread seriously I couldn't refrain the impulse buyer inside me from that final click on 'place order' button.. :yum:

HD598 is a better go, but imo you will need an amp with that. I know, it is rated 50 ohm, but this is a little deceiving (not only because impedance peaks at almost 300ohm around 100hz). Basically it means that even a phone or iPod can drive the headphones to sound pressure levels painful to the ears, which often leads to believe the built-in amplification of a portable player is sufficient for the HD598. But it is not.
The headphones will sound flat and bass shy when plugged in directly to most of these portable devices including X3ii (obviously the sound is still way better than using cheap earphones (under £​50), but nothing like when properly amped). I know this from experience with my HD600. (Yes, that is 300 ohms, but the case is pretty much the same with almost all the full sized open cans.)

I have never tried the Logitech, but I would say choose an IEM or closed hp (low impedance) from
£150-300 category. Or if you want opened full sized buy an amp too. Expensive hobby, I know. But to get the maximum out of all your equipment, you need to make wise decisions according to your budget. :)

Enjoy your music! :wink:

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #6,597 of 9,972
HD598 is a better go, but imo you will need an amp with that. I know, it[COLOR=111111] is rated 50 ohm, but this is a little deceiving (not only because impedance peaks at almost 300ohm around 100hz). Basically it means that even a phone or iPod can drive the headphones to sound pressure levels painful to the ears, which often leads to believe the built-in amplification of a portable player is sufficient for the HD598. But it is not.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]The headphones will sound flat and bass shy when plugged in directly to most of these portable devices including X3ii (obviously the sound is still way better than using cheap earphones (under[/COLOR] £​50)[COLOR=111111], but nothing like when properly amped). I know this from experience with my HD600. (Yes, that is 300 ohms, but the case is pretty much the same with almost all the full sized open cans.)

I have never tried the Logitech, but I would say choose an IEM or closed hp (low impedance) from[/COLOR] £[COLOR=111111]150-300[/COLOR] [COLOR=111111]category. Or if you want opened full sized buy an amp too. Expensive hobby, I know. But to get the maximum out of all your equipment, you need to make wise decisions according to your budget. :)

Enjoy your music! :wink:[/COLOR]

"expensive hobby" indeed..who knows better than my "getting skinnier day by day" wallet..:scream: Now I can actually feel that earlier day's head-fi welcome message for new members.. :grinning:

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #6,600 of 9,972
Has anyone else ever experienced that when you put headphones in and out (not even just headphones, even just cables) in the headphone port, there comes 2 clicking sounds? As if they come from the inside of the device. I just restarted my X3II and it stopped doing that now.. still scary, hope I don't have a defect unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back