The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,596 of 9,972

Ah, I suspected that you were addressing the square waves. No, these won't be better with empty filter tubes. The reason for the crippled square-wave responses is simple: The three-way system makes for an uneven phase response (group delay), as in multi-way speakers – where it is considered inaudible. The impulse response of the single drivers is supposedly excellent – as I hear it.

You see that's weird, becauase the SE535 have a three-way system as well, but Shure managed to tweak and engineer them to have an ABSURDLY GOOD-LOOKING square-wave response!

The SE535 is a two-way system with three drivers, the SE846 is a three-way system with four drivers. Given the SE535's much higher crossover frequency, group delay will be virtually insignificant.

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,597 of 9,972

The SE535 is a two-way system with three drivers, the SE846 is a three-way system with four drivers. Given the SE535's much higher crossover frequency, group delay will be virtually insignificant.

Ahhhh, I was mistaken about the difference, thanks for clarifying that for me!

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #5,604 of 9,972
  Is it just me that feels that an firmware update for X3ii is kinda of overdue? 

Welcome to the firmware waiting game
wink.gif

Been playing myself since the 1st gen. Always good to have more players

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,605 of 9,972
Regarding firmware updates, my first Fiio product and probably my last considering their lack of firmware support. If users can do firmware mods in a very timely manner  then Fiio, undoubtedly, could produce timely updates. But why bother after they have our money.

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #5,606 of 9,972
  Regarding firmware updates, my first Fiio product and probably my last considering their lack of firmware support. If users can do firmware mods in a very timely manner  then Fiio, undoubtedly, could produce timely updates. But why bother after they have our money.

Users are modding just the images - nothing else - so poor comparison. Fiio actually provided plenty of updates in the early life of most of their players - as they've matured (and unfortunately as they've increased their product lines) those updates haven't been as frequent.. They don't have the resources of Apple or bigger players.

On the flip side - you get great sounding high-res players at very reasonable pricing.

Your alternative is Apple (for GUI) and add an amp + pay as much as you can for highest storage possibility, or go Android and you'll have similar issues (minus the storage).  Neither have the hardware of the Fiio (amp and dac).  Or pony up for some A&K gear (but you'll need to increase your budget hugely).

By all means don't buy another Fiio if some of the missing features are deal breakers.  Ultimately though - critiquing them and stating you won't buy another one - while expecting them to have top notch UI + top notch sound + staying in a "budget" price bracket is probably expecting a bit much.

They aren't perfect.  Nothing is though.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,608 of 9,972

Users are modding just the images - nothing else - so poor comparison. Fiio actually provided plenty of updates in the early life of most of their players - as they've matured (and unfortunately as they've increased their product lines) those updates haven't been as frequent.. They don't have the resources of Apple or bigger players.

On the flip side - you get great sounding high-res players at very reasonable pricing.

Your alternative is Apple (for GUI) and add an amp + pay as much as you can for highest storage possibility, or go Android and you'll have similar issues (minus the storage).  Neither have the hardware of the Fiio (amp and dac).  Or pony up for some A&K gear (but you'll need to increase your budget hugely).

By all means don't buy another Fiio if some of the missing features are deal breakers.  Ultimately though - critiquing them and stating you won't buy another one - while expecting them to have top notch UI + top notch sound + staying in a "budget" price bracket is probably expecting a bit much.

They aren't perfect.  Nothing is though.

HiFiMan players are another good option alternative option aside from the A&K stuff, but, again, much more expensive.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #5,609 of 9,972
Brooko, for the cost of x3 (2) to be
unreadable outside in the daylight is totally unacceptable. I'm sorry if you dont agree with my opinion, I still have a right to express it. Fanboys will always defend Fiio even when obvious flaws are exposed.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #5,610 of 9,972
I'm not a fanboi (but thanks for the label)

Name me another $200 player with similar hardware and features without the flaws?  Perspective.  I'm just supplying some.  Last time I checked, I'm able to put my opinion in also - or did you have the monopoly on that 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back