The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #3,901 of 9,972

Cable also plays huge part. I've tested many cables with the same charger and phone, different cable, the charging current varies quite a lot from 0.5A to 1.8A. Same phone, same charger.

But after some observation, if we have more time for longer charging time, actually the lower the charging current, the better. The battery is actually last longer with lower charging current.
We know that battery voltage varies with temperature. voltage will go up when temperature rise, and go down in lower temperature. When we charge with lower charging current, the battery temperature is lower than when charging with high current. So, in high current, due to high temperature, the battery voltage will measure higher, reaching the full charge voltage quicker. But actually when temperature goes back to room temperature, the voltage goes down a little. When we charge with low current, the battery doesn't heat up that much, therefore it reaches full charge voltage at lower temperature as compare to charging with higher current. Therefore, the battery is actually has been charger fuller in low charging current, due to the lower temperature of the battery. Therefore, it will last longer.

For my phone, at night, before sleep, I use the lowest current cable I could find, at around 0.5 A charging current. From my experience, my phone last longer than using high charging current.

This is a pretty interesting observation.

But you should also take into account the fact that the more you expsoe a battery to entering currents, the more wear it gets. This happens because the natural movement of electrons is to discharge the battery, and move from - to +, making the levels even. When you use a low current charger, the process takes more time, so you put stress more time on the chemical compounds. I guess that this is why Fiio recommends using 2A chargers instead of 500ma. 

I did not know that different cables can make a difference. I am using the cables that come with devices for most devices. This way I ensure that I am doing things the way the producer of that device intended. 

May 30, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #3,904 of 9,972

does apple make a 2a charger?  the iphone charger is 1a, right?

I do not know if the 2A is the one that comes with the iphone, but you fiind an apple charger that has 2A in any phone shop. Should be around 20$.

There are others that can give even more power, which should be even better. Belkin ones can give 2.4A and can be found in most phone shops too. They are less expensive than apple ones.

May 30, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #3,905 of 9,972
I think most third party charging cables are cheaper than Apple's official ones.
redface.gif

May 30, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,907 of 9,972
Just bought mine yesterday, very happy to the purchase so far 
gs1000.gif

May 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,908 of 9,972
Which software and what codecs I use to play downloaded DSD (DSF) files on a PC and besides the playstation 3 method, is there anyway to create SACD ISO image file? Previous software I tried would only create a BIN file instead.

May 30, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #3,909 of 9,972
  Which software and what codecs I use to play downloaded DSD (DSF) files on a PC and besides the playstation 3 method, is there anyway to create SACD ISO image file? Previous software I tried would only create a BIN file instead.

This link is great from the software side - I used it to set-up Foobar for my iDSD
http://schiit.com/guides/dsd-setup

May 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #3,911 of 9,972
Yep - it has no issues with aac256. It's what I mostly use on my X3ii

May 30, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3,912 of 9,972
  I think most third party charging cables are cheaper than Apple's official ones.
redface.gif

True this but would you really want one??

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/faulty-usb-phone-charger-blamed-for-sheryl-aldeguers-death-20140627-zsoc8.html

I don't think so - spend the extra dollars and at least get something that's approved and certified. Speaking for myself I would buy the genuine apple charger every time and get the 2 amps.

May 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,913 of 9,972
  This is a pretty interesting observation.

But you should also take into account the fact that the more you expsoe a battery to entering currents, the more wear it gets. This happens because the natural movement of electrons is to discharge the battery, and move from - to +, making the levels even. When you use a low current charger, the process takes more time, so you put stress more time on the chemical compounds. I guess that this is why Fiio recommends using 2A chargers instead of 500ma. 

I did not know that different cables can make a difference. I am using the cables that come with devices for most devices. This way I ensure that I am doing things the way the producer of that device intended. 

Noted thanks! This is the first time I read that longer charging time put stress more on the battery chemical compounds.
Than probably to optimum is to get optimum current while keep the battery temperature low. Exposing battery often to high temperature will also shorten battery life.
Get the USB doctor, pretty cheap, and measure different cable. Cables do make a lot of different.

May 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,914 of 9,972
I'm assuming the stock charger does not provide 2A?.  Mine arrives on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back