The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 27, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #3,797 of 9,972
tried, but dun seems to work

Ok. Do you have large album art or any files other than music files on the card? And what kind of card are you using?

May 27, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #3,798 of 9,972
  Thanks!

I consider that advanced users have deeper understanding of headroom, and can use it to their advantage. I had an EQ that di lowet the volume if i was pulling a slider of EQ up. I found it to be anoying and had to stop using it. The reason is simple, though it never clipped, I found myself having to adjust the volume every time I wanted to adjust the EQ. This meant a lot of changing between volume and EQ, and in the end the changes were less obvious and harder to make. I was unable to enjoy EQ used in that way. 

In fact, as Fiio implemented i fiind it best, because you only have to adjust volume once, then you can play with the EQ without having to worry about digital clipping.

I fiind myself in quite a hot spot now, because I have to decide how to go about implementing the EQ function. I need it to fit most users. But I think that users who are not advanced most of times do not use EQ functions. 

I might change my view upon this.

I see... the best way is for you to try it yourself. It doesn't work the way you think it is. Most of the time you won't hear the EQ lowering the volume of the rest of the frequency. Because we seldom use maximum volume all the time. And most of the time we do have some headroom left in the digital volume section.

Sorry for this topic goes a little OOT, I hope it is still a little relevant to improve EQ of future Fiio player.

In practical, you don't hear that it is lowering the volume.  Remember, SB X7 is using digital volume, and as mentioned in my review, the DSP calculates the available headroom from the volume control, and not from the recording. 
Probably I explained it wrongly previously, sorry about it. But it is correct in my review.

So even the recording used all the headroom, but since they use digital volume, all samples are recalculated to lower the volume, and most of the time we don't set the volume to max, therefore there will be some headroom left from the output of the digital volume control. Since the signal from digital volume has been lowered, the DSP will have some headroom for EQ boosting. Therefore most of the time boosting EQ on SB X7 will not lower down the rest of the spectrum. Only when we set the volume to really high volume, until there is no more headroom available for boosting in EQ, then the DSP will lower down some section of the frequency that is not boosted. At the end, we still get the optimum ratio of frequency spectrum according to our setting in the equalizer, without any clipping.  To me, that's what I want for daily portable DAP, smart and safe.  

What you see on my review is extreme case of using the volume to the max, simply to show the smart adjustment by the equalizer. In real life, we don't use max volume all the time.

So when we turn ON the EQ on SB X7, it will not drop the whole level by 6 dB or 12 dB. There is no volume changes like what we experience with most of the DAP. To me it sounds better that way, without any volume changes, and make use the headroom from the digital volume instead for EQ.  The key is integration of the digital volume and the digital equalizer, to maximize the use of the available headroom.

For professional equipment, no auto adjustment is probably better. But for general consumer use, I would say that is the better approach.  People get what they want effectively.

May 27, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #3,800 of 9,972
Relic, thanks for your help by the way.
I only have flac and mp3 files in the card. Using SanDisk class 10

No worries. I've listed the usual suspects so perhaps you have some corrupt files? Does it happen on all tracks or only certain ones?

May 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #3,803 of 9,972

Yea exactly.  That's why I love the hardware bass boost feature so much.  It's makes the music richer and thicker and a lot more enjoyable to me that seems to be hard to replicate with EQ settings.

Exactly. This is why I liked the hw eq on the old X3, and this is why I bought an amp with hw bass settings. No sw eq on the old or new x3 gave me the same quality of bass...

May 27, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,804 of 9,972

Yea exactly.  That's why I love the hardware bass boost feature so much.  It's makes the music richer and thicker and a lot more enjoyable to me that seems to be hard to replicate with EQ settings.

Exactly. This is why I liked the hw eq on the old X3, and this is why I bought an amp with hw bass settings. No sw eq on the old or new x3 gave me the same quality of bass...

+1. Agree, I also prefer the analog circuit bass and treble adjustment rather than digital EQ.

May 27, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #3,806 of 9,972

+1. Agree, I also prefer the analog circuit bass and treble adjustment rather than digital EQ.

Yes, it obviously gives better quality sound.
But some forum members earlier did not understand how there can be a difference between analog and digital bass/treble settings...
There is a huge difference in my opinion. Analog is much clearer, with no effect on other frequencies and sound scape, what you change...
 Analog eq just does the job what you want, while digital eq often messes up things...

I can not explain why, I just hear it...

May 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,807 of 9,972
Are you sure it won't work ? The last x3 worked with a iPhone when used with hub.

You can use the new X3 with an iphone as long you have the Apple CCK and a USB hub that strips out the power demand information in a manner that satisfies the iphone or ipad.

I get into that in my review with a link to a cheap usb mini hub that does the trick.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13039

May 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,808 of 9,972
  Yes, it obviously gives better quality sound.
But some forum members earlier did not understand how there can be a difference between analog and digital bass/treble settings...
There is a huge difference in my opinion. Analog is much clearer, with no effect on other frequencies and sound scape, what you change...
 Analog eq just does the job what you want, while digital eq often messes up things...

I can not explain why, I just hear it...

It's not about analogue or digital, it's the EQ curve itself which is different. A typical bass boost increases low frequencies continuously down to 20 Hz or below, while a typical EQ increases say the 31 Hz band with a certain bandwidth, which means that frequencies below 30 Hz are lower in amplitude again. It would be easy to implement a «perfect» bass boost in the digital domain, as iAudio has shown with the Mach3Bass in their U2, U3 and 7 players.

May 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,809 of 9,972

It's not about analogue or digital, it's the EQ curve itself which is different. A typical bass boost increases low frequencies continuously down to 20 Hz or below, while a typical EQ increases say the 31 Hz band with a certain bandwidth, which means that frequencies below 30 Hz are lower in amplitude again. It would be easy to implement a «perfect» bass boost in the digital domain, as iAudio has shown with the Mach3Bass in their U2, U3 and 7 players.

I guess you are right. I do not have any experience with those players.
 All I can say I am not a fan of sw eq of X3 1st gen and X3 2nd gen. While i did like X3 1st gen with hw eq, and I LOVE X3 2nd gen with external amp eq... (But not the sw eq.)

May 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #3,810 of 9,972
  I guess you are right. I do not have any experience with those players.
 All I can say I am not a fan of sw eq of X3 1st gen and X3 2nd gen. While i did like X3 1st gen with hw eq, and I LOVE X3 2nd gen with external amp eq... (But not the sw eq.)

Of course – to each his own! For me the bass is just one aspect of the sound, so I'm thankful for every single frequency band I can control – and for the fine steps provided by X3 II and X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back