The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 9, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #3,301 of 9,972
Well, I have got to say, i had forgotten what good sound really was!

I have been using my Samsung S4 with my Audio Technica ATHCKS99 for ages now since my Fiio E7 screen died on me.

I just put some Tiesto, the old albums in FLAC into the X3K along with my Audio Technica ATHCKS99 and things sound SO crisp it is ridiculous!

Audio Technica ATHCKS99 (bought back in 2013 after my Phonak PFE 012 left side died)
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-cks99-solid-bass-inner-ear-headphones-japan-import

time to go through my FLAK library and get this thing loaded up!

May 9, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3,302 of 9,972
Brooko, I have an iPhone 6 and haven't even considered using it to play music because of file limited memory size, format limitations, lack of folder support, inconvenience in copying files (I don't want to install iTunes and its 12 to 20 background processes). Do you have any workarounds for these issues? I also have a Samsung Note 2 which doesn't suffer from any of these issues, but I hardly use it to play music because its missing physical controls to handle when in the pocket and I feel its sound is not as good as my DAPs.

BTW, I ordered the X3-II. I'm really excited to get it and have high hopes that it can replace both my DAPs (Sansa ClipZip and Cowon X7) and two better overall job than both.

May 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #3,303 of 9,972
  Brooko, I have an iPhone 6 and haven't even considered using it to play music because of file limited memory size, format limitations, lack of folder support, inconvenience in copying files (I don't want to install iTunes and its 12 to 20 background processes). Do you have any workarounds for these issues?

Each DAP / phone etc has its own strengths.  iTunes doesn't bother me - I only use it for syncing (have a family and everyone has their own iDevices) so iTunes is a necessary evil. But the iPhone is invaluable for me in the car (bluetooth), with wireless earphones, and for when I want to go very lightweight, have to have a phone on me - and want to listen to music.  And it sounds really good.

For everything else - I use my X1, X3ii or X5.

At the end of the day - use whatever has the features you need.  For me - there is no "one" device.  YMMV.

May 9, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,304 of 9,972
Anyone can compare x3 ii to iphone 5 ? Pleaseee
smily_headphones1.gif
, i want to spend some money for better sound wyality but dunno is fiio better than phone...

You might want to invest in headphone/IEM upgrade first than player... Imho that brings the biggest step up in sq. Than with a really good pair of headphones you can hear a bigger difference between players...

May 9, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #3,306 of 9,972
X3ii battery is low, I'm going for a jog, and want something lightweight 
wink.gif

X1 doesn't get used nowadays very often.  My daughter will get it sometime soon. 

May 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,307 of 9,972
  X3ii battery is low, I'm going for a jog, and want something lightweight 
wink.gif

X1 doesn't get used nowadays very often.  My daughter will get it sometime soon. 

I See. That's reasonable.Your pos just made me think that there is something very basic about the X1/3 that I do not know. While switching between the three (x1/3II/5) you immediately notice the difference?
If speaking of charging, my X3 II is being charged now, pulling 1.22A from a wall adapter. So actually getting a 2A adapter for the X3 is a good idea.
And... to prolong the life of the headphone out jack, just bought this. That way I will not have to worry about inserting and reinserting various headphones to the unit.

May 9, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #3,308 of 9,972
They all share a basically similar tonality - but I could pick the X1 vs X3ii blind.  The difference between the X3ii and X5 is a lot less - still there, but more subtle.  It's all documented in my reviews, and I think you'll find most owners of both will have pretty similar opinions.

May 9, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,309 of 9,972
  I just made the switch between these two. the X3ii is much more speedy. In comparison the bass seems a bit slow on the iPhone, and the X3ii has a large advantage in treble extension. The iPhone sounds smoother and darker, and the X3ii sounds a tad dry, and more detailed. I definitely see the X3ii as an upgrade. They also have a tad more power, and the lower output impedance is better for most BA iems

What headphones you used ?

May 9, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,310 of 9,972

You might want to invest in headphone/IEM upgrade first than player... Imho that brings the biggest step up in sq. Than with a really good pair of headphones you can hear a bigger difference between players...

What IEM's would you prefer for that sort o thing ? I had compared on Kosses Porta Pro and b&W P3 the X3 ii and iPhone and found no difference so maybe only good headphones will show me is it worth upgrade after buying tchem.

May 9, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,311 of 9,972

What IEM's would you prefer for that sort o thing ? I had compared on Kosses Porta Pro and b&W P3 the X3 ii and iPhone and found no difference so maybe only good headphones will show me is it worth upgrade after buying tchem.

First you have to decide if headphones or IEM, and decide how much you want to spend.
I have Sennheiser IE80 with custom tips. They sound nice, but many people struggle to find a good fit with factory tips. Also some complain it is too bassy, but if you turn the bass knob to minimum or almost minimum, I do not think it is. Some also complain about a slight mid-bass hump, but that can easily be eq-d. It did not bother me, I like them as they are... Also I use them very rarely, just for traveling, when I can not take my home setup with me.
Probably there are better IEMs, but I did not try many. Shure SE535 is also nice, maybe more refined but with a little less bass compared to IE80.
I am sure, others will suggest many more IEMs soon...
If you want headphones, I guess you need closed ones as you want to use it outdoors. So I can not mention my preferred opened ones. For a closed portable headphone I would definitely check out Momentum over-ear as a start...

May 9, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3,312 of 9,972

The sonic ideals are very different among Head-Fier's, and that's abolutely o.k. Just one hint with respect to EQ on and off: As soon as it's activated, it will reduce the volume by ~5 dB to create headroom for frequency-band increases (otherwise the music could get into clipping). Maybe it's that what you're experiencing?

Some good news: Contrary to the information we got so far, the X3 II does in fact output an equalized signal through its coaxial out.
smile.gif

Yes, I noticed the volume drop. But I think it is not just the volume changing when I switch on eq... It sounds much more different than just 5dB volume change...

Interesting this coax eq discovery. I might buy a coax cable. :) (Using jack rca)

From iCan product description: "Like the 3D Holographic Sound system and true to iFi’s high-end audio DNA, the XBass circuitry functions without the use of any sound-damaging DSP# whatsoever." Thought it might be interesting... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back