The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 8, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,286 of 9,972

Some good news: Contrary to the information we got so far, the X3 II does in fact output an equalized signal through its coaxial out.
smile.gif

Latest discovery: It only works with a trick. You got to have the EQ displayed before inserting the coaxial cable. Otherwise the EQ is disabled in the menu.

May 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #3,287 of 9,972

Some good news: Contrary to the information we got so far, the X3 II does in fact output an equalized signal through its coaxial out.
smile.gif

Jazz - I just checked my X3ii now - and when I plug the coax or line-out, you can't select the EQ function.

If you remove the jack, you can then access it again, and if I select a preset EQ, re-engage the coax jack, go back to resume the song, it defaults back to EQ off.

How are you EQing with coax or line-out ???????

May 8, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,288 of 9,972

Latest discovery: It only works with a trick. You got to have the EQ displayed before inserting the coaxial cable. Otherwise the EQ is disabled in the menu.

OK - EQ displayed - but track is paused.  How do I play the track without leaving the EQ menu .... ?

May 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #3,289 of 9,972
  Jazz - I just checked my X3ii now - and when I plug the coax or line-out, you can't select the EQ function.

If you remove the jack, you can then access it again, and if I select a preset EQ, re-engage the coax jack, go back to resume the song, it defaults back to EQ off.

How are you EQing with coax or line-out ???????

See above post! The EQ has to be on the display to stay active during cable insertion.

May 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,290 of 9,972
  See above post! The EQ has to be on the display to stay active during cable insertion.

Yep - but inserting or taking out cables automatically pauses the player.  To restart your music, you have to leave the EQ screen.  Leaving the EQ screen turns it off and makes it inaccessible.  I tested this thoroughly for my review.  Please tell me if I'm missing something obvious here.

May 8, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #3,291 of 9,972
  OK - EQ displayed - but track is paused.  How do I play the track without leaving the EQ menu .... ?

Press the «on» button to turn the display off. Make sure to have the player set to lockscreen 3. The downside is that you won't get the «now playing» screen anymore.
frown.gif

May 8, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #3,292 of 9,972
That's a brilliant work around!

Works well too.  Makes you wonder why not leave it as an accessible option if you can back-door it.

I do wonder about this though.  Coax option is supposed to be a digital stream right?  So why do I get the 5-6dB drop in the digital realm with EQ engaged over coax? 
confused.gif

May 8, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3,293 of 9,972
  That's a brilliant work around!

Works well too.  Makes you wonder why not leave it as an accessible option if you can back-door it.

I do wonder about this though.  Coax option is supposed to be a digital stream right?  So why do I get the 5-6dB drop in the digital realm with EQ engaged over coax? 
confused.gif

Because the volume drop happens in the digital domain – it's the same with the X5 if you try it.

May 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #3,294 of 9,972
Why not give us the option all the time then? Without having to jump through hoops to get it?

Anyway - great find Jazz

smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3,296 of 9,972
Anyone can compare x3 ii to iphone 5 ? Pleaseee
smily_headphones1.gif
, i want to spend some money for better sound wyality but dunno is fiio better than phone...

I just made the switch between these two. the X3ii is much more speedy. In comparison the bass seems a bit slow on the iPhone, and the X3ii has a large advantage in treble extension. The iPhone sounds smoother and darker, and the X3ii sounds a tad dry, and more detailed. I definitely see the X3ii as an upgrade. They also have a tad more power, and the lower output impedance is better for most BA iems

May 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,297 of 9,972
So, my X3 arrived, but the worry is that, it is an X3, the box says X3, not X3K like some images i have seen?, opening it now in hopes some machine in Amazon or some mindless worker didn't send the wrong product.

What is the actual model number of an X3K ?

May 8, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,298 of 9,972
So, my X3 arrived, but the worry is that, it is an X3, the box says X3, not X3K like some images i have seen?, opening it now in hopes some machine in Amazon or some mindless worker didn't send the wrong product.

What is the actual model number of an X3K ?

The production X3 2nd gen units just say X3 on the box. It is a model fx3221.

May 8, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,300 of 9,972
Anyone can compare x3 ii to iphone 5 ? Pleaseee
smily_headphones1.gif
, i want to spend some money for better sound wyality but dunno is fiio better than phone...

I have both (X3ii and iPhone 5S)

Both have very good SQ in my opinion

iPhone has bluetooth, wifi, access to apps (including Spotify), and is usually always with me.  Besides the great SQ it also has a very good UI, and navigation is best in class. But it has a relatively weak amp, mine only has 16 Gb of internal, and no expandable storage.  It's equaliser is not the best (3rd party apps are good though), and can't be used as a stand alone DAC, and doesn't have a dedicated line or coaxial out.

X3ii has a very good amp section, expandable storage, can be used as a DAC, and has both coax and line-out. IMO it also has great SQ, great build, and can handle a multitude of formats - including DSD if that's your thing. It has a good 10 band EQ. It has no wireless, the UI is good but not great, but at USD 200 it is incredible value for money.

Pick what is important to you.  Both have strengths.  Both have flaws.  In the end it comes down to your usage preferences.  I have both & use both.  Frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back